Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Academics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-25-2014, 07:40 AM   #1
The Elephant in Your Room
 
Ben Toast's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2011
Location: The Monks
Posts: 4,976
paid
Solar Freakin Roadways

Why are we not funding this?

__________________
I hope that all is well in heaven, 'cause it's all shot to hell down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-25-2014, 08:46 AM   #2
Ax
Rabid Wombat
 
Ax's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Swinging Bachelor Pad
Posts: 16,501
#1. Because they're freaking expensive. (But they will eventually pay for themselves! You say, see point 2.)
#2. Because solar panels are not efficient. They're nowhere near ready for actual use. It would take hundreds of years to "pay for themselves".
#3. Because solar panels are actually NOT environmentally friendly, even when using recycled materials the materials needed are very not environmentally friendly.
__________________


AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.


Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
Chur Bro
 
dogfood's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2004
Location: New Zealand, Fiji
Posts: 13,328
Send a message via MSN to dogfood
Ah I this on the news. (Proof that news dosent take 6 months to get to nz).

Alternative power sweet.
__________________
dogfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 07:58 AM   #4
The Elephant in Your Room
 
Ben Toast's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2011
Location: The Monks
Posts: 4,976
paid
But it would look like freakin' TRON out there! But really, in all seriousness, it's a pretty good idea, but I do wonder how well they'd fare under constant heavy traffic. Even if they'd be theoretically easily replaced, it would be a pain. You'd have to swap it out and then make sure it's going to work with the rest of the grid and not go all haywire or anything.

My hometown and neighboring cities benefit from hydroelectric power, which is very clean and very efficient. I've driven past fields of windmills before, which are also efficient (but kinda noisy). I'm all about clean energy; if we're capable of it, why not?
__________________
I hope that all is well in heaven, 'cause it's all shot to hell down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 11:18 AM   #5
Old School
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Geezerville
Posts: 55,903
You KNOW it's hard core science when the best defense for something is "it would look like freakin' TRON out there!"

__________________
Nothing (Without You)
Granville Center Church of Christ Sermons
YouTube
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 11:44 AM   #6
This Mortal Frame..
 
Demon_Hunter's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 9,373
Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Toast View Post
But it would look like freakin' TRON out there! But really, in all seriousness, it's a pretty good idea, but I do wonder how well they'd fare under constant heavy traffic. Even if they'd be theoretically easily replaced, it would be a pain. You'd have to swap it out and then make sure it's going to work with the rest of the grid and not go all haywire or anything.

My hometown and neighboring cities benefit from hydroelectric power, which is very clean and very efficient. I've driven past fields of windmills before, which are also efficient (but kinda noisy). I'm all about clean energy; if we're capable of it, why not?


Because its not a good idea, and we are not capable of it.

Solar panels, as AX has already pointed out, are very environmentally dirty to produce, and they will not pay for themselves. On top of that, having seen what constant use does to roads in the area I work in (hundreds of 18 wheelers a day), I can tell you for a fact that there is no solar panel in the world that can handle that type of abuse. The toughest materials we can affordably make roads out of cant even handle that kind of abuse.
__________________
"Behold the Man upon a cross, my sin upon His shoulders. Ashamed I hear my mocking voice, call out among the scoffers" - How Deep the Fathers Love for Us


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
Old School
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Geezerville
Posts: 55,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Because its not a good idea, and we are not capable of it.

Solar panels, as AX has already pointed out, are very environmentally dirty to produce, and they will not pay for themselves. On top of that, having seen what constant use does to roads in the area I work in (hundreds of 18 wheelers a day), I can tell you for a fact that there is no solar panel in the world that can handle that type of abuse. The toughest materials we can affordably make roads out of cant even handle that kind of abuse.
But it would look like freakin' TRON out there.

Dude.



FWIW...I'm just playing around Ben. Please don't be offended.
__________________
Nothing (Without You)
Granville Center Church of Christ Sermons
YouTube
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
Support Southern Rock
 
normajean777's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Republic of Alberta
Posts: 2,988
I might go as far to say that this is a good idea. But its not really a good idea.

Theres a reason why they don't talk about the cost anywhere. Its because these are wildly expensive. Their only argument about cost is that we can't afford not to! Thats car salesman logic. Solar panels for homes are prohibitory expensive already, and they are saying "lets make them 5 times more expensive and make it a road". If it were worth it to install panels on homes, then we should do that, and then look to roadways when we run out of cheap places to install them. It doesn't really make a ton of sense otherwise.

Also: Theres no way in hell these are making an Alberta winter safer. If its -40 and a foot of snow is coming down, how effective do you think these solar panels are going to be in clearing the snow? Where would the water/ice even go if it could melt it?
__________________
We are victims of pop culture.
normajean777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 09:18 PM   #9
The Elephant in Your Room
 
Ben Toast's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2011
Location: The Monks
Posts: 4,976
paid
Okay so I should rephrase.. it's a good idea in theory. Of course it wouldn't be a good idea in practice... I just think it's totally cool that it's within the realm of current technological possibility.

And no offense taken at all!
__________________
I hope that all is well in heaven, 'cause it's all shot to hell down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 09:41 PM   #10
Ax
Rabid Wombat
 
Ax's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Swinging Bachelor Pad
Posts: 16,501
I actually work with a guy who is leaving our company to pursue a PHD in physics at Carnegie Mellon. He has been working on more environmentally friendly and efficient solar panels as part of a distributed program across several college campuses worldwide. We're talking real cutting edge stuff. They're nowhere near producing practical solar panels. The fact of the matter is that solar panels are not and never have been practical from a cost or environmental standpoint. Nor from any practical standpoint as this simple truth: when there are clouds out... THEY DON'T WORK. So hey Seattle, London, etc. You're all screwed!

In actuality, the only actually green energy is nuclear, but all the hippies got afraid of it in the 60s, then Chernobyl happened, and alluva sudden, it's a horrible, terrible atrocity! Despite the fact that Chernobyl SHOULD have been prevented if Russia had implemented safeguards that were codified in the U.S. long before Chernobyl was ever built. But hey, it was the cold war and being enemies was more important than safety... right? So now we can't have the only actual environmentally friendly and cost effective energy. YAY!
__________________


AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.


Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 09:51 PM   #11
This Mortal Frame..
 
Demon_Hunter's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 9,373
Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Its clean to a degree, but it isn't renewable, which should be the goal of future energy producing endeavors.

The earth, as big as it is, is finite in the resources it can provide, and we have to make those resources last as long as possible.
__________________
"Behold the Man upon a cross, my sin upon His shoulders. Ashamed I hear my mocking voice, call out among the scoffers" - How Deep the Fathers Love for Us


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 10:06 PM   #12
Ax
Rabid Wombat
 
Ax's Avatar
 

Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Swinging Bachelor Pad
Posts: 16,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Its clean to a degree, but it isn't renewable, which should be the goal of future energy producing endeavors.

The earth, as big as it is, is finite in the resources it can provide, and we have to make those resources last as long as possible.
Ah, but the waste made from this generation of reactors could fuel the next generation. That's the beauty of it. Not only that but every drop of waste ever made is still contained at the reactor it was created in. What does that mean? Means it doesn't take up that much space. Plus there's studies being done that are showing that small reactors can power cars and there are micro-reactors like the Toshiba 4S that was designed to provide power to a small town. Nuclear can be the future, a very near perfect one, if people can stop being afraid of it.
__________________


AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.


Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 10:12 PM   #13
Support Southern Rock
 
normajean777's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Republic of Alberta
Posts: 2,988
But but but nuclear can't be that safe. I built nuclear power plants in all of my cities in Civilization 5, and one had a meltdown! Ehhhh!
__________________
We are victims of pop culture.
normajean777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:17 PM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2