Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Academics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-26-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
The Story Teller

Theory of Truth vs Test for Truth

Hey, I was wondering if someone would be able to describe the difference between the Theory of Truth and the Test for Truth. I know the three most common theories of truth are the corresponding, coherence and pragmatic views, but what is the difference in the definitions between ThOT and TeOT?

"When you say there's too much evil in this world you assume there's good. When you assume there's good, you assume there's such a thing as a moral law on the basis of which to differentiate between good and evil. But if you assume a moral law, you must posit a moral Law Giver, but that's Who you're trying to disprove and not prove. Because if there's no moral Law Giver, there's no moral law. If there's no moral law, there's no good. If there's no good, there's no evil. What is your question?" ó Ravi Zacharias
Caged Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-30-2014, 09:36 AM   #2

The Theory of Truth pretty much gives us an idea that there is good in the world, truth is good...it is a theory because truth is rather intangible since Jesus is not on earth currently.

The test for truth is called the Correspondence Theory of Truth, meaning if we pair a thought with reality it is a truth, i.e.:

1+1=2

If I have a cookie, and then obtain another one, I have 2 cookies.

Presto! There's the best answer I can give you--hope it helped.
JESUSFREA343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2014, 05:42 AM   #3
Laborer/Philosopher

A theory of truth tells you what it means, in general, when you say a statement is true. A test for truth is a way of determining whether some particular statement is true or false.

CGR Blog
Chrysostom is offline   Reply With Quote