Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-12-2014, 02:08 AM   #1

Spoiled Guitarists: That Guitar Costs How Much?!

Spoiled Guitarists: That Guitar Costs How Much?!

A similar discussion was had on another forum recently.
And I had a conversation with an amateur cellist who has a bow that costs more than some of my guitars.
A professional string player may very well spend more on a bow alone than we do on a guitar.

Unread 02-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #2
a little off-balance

Crikey. Andy McKee has three Greenfield guitars, among other equipment....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper359 View Post
I like peanut butter, and I like jam, so what's to stop me from putting them together? People do it all the time.
SomeCallMeTim? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
Arnold Palmers FTW

Send a message via AIM to jamforchrist123 Send a message via Skype™ to jamforchrist123
Cool read.

I used to play in a band that had a cello player. She had recently bought a new bow and was so excited. We basically fell to the ground when she said it cost $7,000.
jamforchrist123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 10:45 AM   #4
on rye

There's spousal application in this somewhere, I know it.

"Yes Dear, I bought some new gear—but I think we can all agree it's just a good thing I'm not a cello player! eh? eh?"
Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 12:21 PM   #5

XD
Iron Broadsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #6
by hope we steer

I didn't read the whole article (skimmed it), but it makes sense.

The market for guitars is completely different than the market for cellos.
Unread 02-12-2014, 01:07 PM   #7
Hey ya'll, watch this!

My wife and I were shopping for an upright bass a couple of months back. She was blown away by how much they cost. We looked at a 1948 Kay in relatively good shape for around $2,000. Her reaction was "That's the price of a really nice Martin!". We shopped some more and she soon discovered the guy with the Kay was giving us a monster deal. I ultimately bought a far more modest bass but know full well that a better one is in my future once I know what I really like.

Basses, good violins, brass instruments, they all cost money. Lots of it. Guitar players tend to be spoiled by the Golden Age of Good Guitars that we're living in now.
jeepnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 01:20 PM   #8
I'm a French fry!!

yeah, even though they're ridiculously expencive, I really like Taylor gituars! They are really nice, but they have a 1000 to 2000 dollar price tag!!! That's stupid expensive for a gituar!!!
Unread 02-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #9
Person

I think acoustic guitars require a greater price to get to a "professional" quality threshold than electric guitars. Still no where near what classical musicians often have to pay, of course.

My main electric guitar cost me 375 NZD, including a case. I've played genuine American Fenders and Les Pauls that I didn't like as much. It's certainly gig-worthy.
to_be_released is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 05:44 PM   #10

Isn't this just a product of supply/demand? How many guitars per capita are there in the US? Contrast that to cellos per capita. The difference is probably astronomical.
darfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 08:31 PM   #11
Okagesama de genki desu

I think it's more that guitarists have Henry Ford and Leo Fender to thank for modular construction and assembly line production that has made mass produced inexpensive guitars possible.

This is what led to the guitar being such an instrument of choice for counter culture rock & pop guitarists of the 50's and 60's who created a cultural revolution that then popularized the instrument with the masses leading to higher demand for inexpensive instruments which led to the current market we see today.
Unread 02-12-2014, 08:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by darfaz View Post
Isn't this just a product of supply/demand? How many guitars per capita are there in the US? Contrast that to cellos per capita. The difference is probably astronomical.
Yes, it is a factor. But you also pay more for the materials and labor involved. This isn't news to me that these "high" instruments cost so much, but it's still shockingly high. Occasionally I'll browse through Craigslist and I'll see grand pianos selling for around the same price as a used subcompact car (and a late model one at that)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by singin4Jesus View Post
yeah, even though they're ridiculously expencive, I really like Taylor gituars! They are really nice, but they have a 1000 to 2000 dollar price tag!!! That's stupid expensive for a gituar!!!
I'll have to disagree with you on that. It's not cheap, but in the grand scheme of things it's not that bad. Having said that, however, it's probably beyond my means right now to go and buy one right now. Thankfully, you don't have to spend a lot of cash to get a nice guitar these days.
Rom. 12:21; Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.
funkStrat_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 12:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamforchrist123 View Post
Cool read.

I used to play in a band that had a cello player. She had recently bought a new bow and was so excited. We basically fell to the ground when she said it cost $7,000.
The cellist I was speaking with hadn't paid that much--but as I said, he's not a performing/professional cellist--but he did tell me about prices like that.
There are apparently carbon fibre bows which are much less, but the cello counterpart of cork sniffers really doesn't like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
There's spousal application in this somewhere, I know it.

"Yes Dear, I bought some new gearóbut I think we can all agree it's just a good thing I'm not a cello player! eh? eh?"
Hmm, I may need to keep this one in mind.
Unread 02-13-2014, 08:39 AM   #14
Hey ya'll, watch this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by singin4Jesus View Post
Sit down, take a deep breath, and then take a peek at Bourgeois Guitars. Pantheon Guitars, Inc. builds fine acoustic guitars by Dana Bourgeois.

Taylor will seem like a value brand after that. And for the record I believe that Bourgeois is worth it.
jeepnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #15
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnstein View Post
Sit down, take a deep breath, and then take a peek at Bourgeois Guitars. Pantheon Guitars, Inc. builds fine acoustic guitars by Dana Bourgeois.

Taylor will seem like a value brand after that. And for the record I believe that Bourgeois is worth it.
For electrics... 2k+ is getting on towards too expensive pending materials IMO. Having built a few acoustic instruments and felt some truly masterbuilt pieces, I understand a 20k+ price tag for the right piece and buyer.

I doubt I'll ever give up my current acoustic. It was $400 and is pretty rough to look at. but is exceptional sounding. It exceeds my needs. However, it isn't my livelihood, and while I would view myself as reasonably decent and circumstances have backed that up, I have seen amazing guitars and amazing guitarists.

I have a second cousin who owns a classical guitar that I find ridiculously expensive. Its value is supposedly in the 6 digit range. I have never come close to it and don't want to ever touch it.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote