Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-23-2014, 01:10 AM   #1
Arnold Palmers FTW

Send a message via AIM to jamforchrist123 Send a message via Skype™ to jamforchrist123
Guitar Experiment

The topic of how much our eyes and preconceived ideas affects our opinions on certain gear has been a topic of conversation for myself and one of my audio friends lately. After some discussion, we came up with a little experiment (it's a little devious, but I think it'll be interesting).

My friend has a surf green Squier Bullet stratocaster. About as cheap as it gets. He had previously said that he'd give it to me for free which sparked this whole plan. What we're doing is buying some $45 GFS pickups, switching the knobs/switches/pickupcovers/etc with vintage cream colored replacements to give it an "old" vibe. We are then going to attempt to remove the logo and switch it with a fender replacement. I'm going to take it to my local guitar guy to change the nut and do a setup. Overall it should actually be a fine sounding/feeling instrument.

Our plan is to have some of my guitar buddies test it out and see what they think. My hypothesis is that they will fall in love with the guitar due to the cool look and the fact that it says fender on the headstock and plays well. I believe that if they saw the Squier bullet logo and the plain white look they would instantly get a sour opinion of the instrument before playing it and it would affect their judgement, even with the good sounding pickups and setup. Some of my guitar buddies can be super snooty in that area haha. Due to the fender logo and cool old-school vibe, I think they're gonna freak.

I'll report back with my findings later. I ordered the parts today so hopefully I can get the guitar ready to go in the next couple weeks. The great part of this whole thing is I end up with a great sounding strat, haha!

P.S. I know the whole fender logo on a Squier thing can be seriously looked very down on by people, but I assure you that this instrument isn't being created to be dishonestly sold at a higher price. It's going to be alllll mine

jamforchrist123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-23-2014, 01:58 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
One of the things that may come across as a bit odd to some is that the Bullet body (at least the Bullet bodies I've messed around with) is slightly thinner than a standard Stratocaster body.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 02:48 AM   #3
My name is Oliver Queen.

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamforchrist123 View Post
P.S. I know the whole fender logo on a Squier thing can be seriously looked very down on by people, but I assure you that this instrument isn't being created to be dishonestly sold at a higher price. It's going to be alllll mine
Just don't forget about it years from now and go to sell it.

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon (2x EMG 81TW)
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - Line 6 Helix, POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 08:37 AM   #4
Deets Go Here

Also, in my experience, the frets have been rough on those Bullets. I'm assuming you're going to be correcting any issues there as well.

I do look forward to seeing how this is going to turn out. I know that often times we place a high value on gear that really doesn't deserve it.

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga Hertz View Post
I would throw any bro under the bus for a Cheeto. Or a ho for that matter.

Not like a ho ho, mind you. Like a godly ho.
bravesfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #5
Hey ya'll, watch this!

A real gear snob will spot it a mile away. They have their ways.
jeepnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 09:04 AM   #6
Deets Go Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnstein
A real gear snob will spot it a mile away. They have their ways.
It's the smell, obviously.

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:

Unread 01-23-2014, 09:13 AM   #7
Arnold Palmers FTW

Send a message via AIM to jamforchrist123 Send a message via Skype™ to jamforchrist123
When I say guitar snob I shouldn't say that they completely know that they're talking about, more just that they have pre-formed opinions of everything without really having a reason for such a thing. I have confidence in my super-bullet
Unread 01-23-2014, 11:28 AM   #8
Ax
Rabid Wombat

I play a Korean and a Chinese Fender. I couldn't tell the difference between them and an American, at least from the feel of the neck/etc. A lot of the things people claim is just hoopla... I suspect your experiment will be a sweeping success.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #9
Person

I have a bass that looks like a genuine fender from the front. When you turn it over, you see the vester logo. I've received compliments on my nice bass when I've played it at church
to_be_released is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
So there are two questions at play here I think

1) What do guitar players think of an instrument when they see it and hear someone else play it?

2) What do guitar players think of an instrument when they see it and hear their own playing through it?

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #11
Ax
Rabid Wombat

FWIW, I used to get compliments about my Rogue from people who thought it was a Fender.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #12
Arnold Palmers FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
So there are two questions at play here I think

1) What do guitar players think of an instrument when they see it and hear someone else play it?

2) What do guitar players think of an instrument when they see it and hear their own playing through it?
My plan is to use it at practice with a band that I play guitar for to get people's initial opinions of it. Then they can try it later maybe during a studio session or two.

I already planted the seed by telling a friend about a strat I plan to get off of craigslist. I feel really awkward blatantly lying about it though... Haha.
Unread 01-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #13
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamforchrist123 View Post
My plan is to use it at practice with a band that I play guitar for to get people's initial opinions of it. Then they can try it later maybe during a studio session or two.

I already planted the seed by telling a friend about a strat I plan to get off of craigslist. I feel really awkward blatantly lying about it though... Haha.
You will be judged.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 05:51 AM   #14
on rye

I was in Guitar Center this one time.

Mr. Random Trying To Be Helpful Employee came over to make small talk. Asked me what guitar I had.

I said a Telecaster. He probed a little further, so I said an American Standard.

He seemed relieved and said something to the effect of "whew . . . thought you were going to say Squier or something. Lots of people say they have a Strat or Tele and then they say it's a Squier blah blah blah."

*eyeroll followed by backing away slowly*
Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 08:11 AM   #15
Deets Go Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
I was in Guitar Center this one time.

Mr. Random Trying To Be Helpful Employee came over to make small talk. Asked me what guitar I had.

I said a Telecaster. He probed a little further, so I said an American Standard.

He seemed relieved and said something to the effect of "whew . . . thought you were going to say Squier or something. Lots of people say they have a Strat or Tele and then they say it's a Squier blah blah blah."

*eyeroll followed by backing away slowly*
What about a G&L? I had one of those one time. It wasn't really a Tele, but it looked like one...kind of. The pickups were different.

Follow my ramblings.

Quote: