Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Amps & Effects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-13-2014, 09:40 AM   #1

Smile Roland BOSS GT-100 Effects Board

Good morning!

I'm new to this site, I'm Chibetin and I thank you in advance for reading my post.

I have played acoustic electric guitar for a little while now, but just started electric guitar this week. I bought a BOSS GT-100 effects board and would like to ask you for any tips regarding best effects to use for worship at church. If you know of any patches that would work well for worship songs and are willing to share them, I will greatly appreciate that.

I love classic rock style guitar, for when playing this style of music if you know of any tips as well, they're also most welcome.

Thank you!

Chibetin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-15-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
Person

The best effects to use are the ones that sound good with your band

If you're wanting the "typical" worship guitar sound, you'll probably want a mild overdrive, some delay and some reverb. That'll get you 80-90% of the way toward the worship "tone." However, there aren't really any rules as such. For years I just plugged into an overdriven/distorted amp, and that was perfectly sufficient. I've only really expanded my effects board over the last year, but reverb, delay, trem and drive from my amp are all I use at church at the moment.

Are you using an amp at all, or plugging straight into the sound system?
to_be_released is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
Harmonica, guitars, bass

My thoughts would be first start with a good amp and mic that into the PA system. Either a all tube amp or a single tube modeling amp. Good tone needs to start at the fingers of both hands. Decent pick-ups and a good amp. To correct bad tone, bad techniquie with pedals is not the best way. After that i find just hand selecting just a few quality effects is better than a whole lot of poor digtal crap. Boss pedals are good if you can afford them. Right now i pretty much just use a volume pedal and my Ibanez digtal delay then the gain, volume, master, reverb and compression on my Vox amp.
Unread 01-16-2014, 06:31 PM   #4
Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by gospelbluesman View Post
My thoughts would be first start with a good amp and mic that into the PA system. Either a all tube amp or a single tube modeling amp. Good tone needs to start at the fingers of both hands. Decent pick-ups and a good amp. To correct bad tone, bad techniquie with pedals is not the best way. After that i find just hand selecting just a few quality effects is better than a whole lot of poor digtal crap. Boss pedals are good if you can afford them. Right now i pretty much just use a volume pedal and my Ibanez digtal delay then the gain, volume, master, reverb and compression on my Vox amp.
While I agree that a tube amp and good technique go a long way toward your tone, the OP wasn't complaining about their tone- they only wanted to know which effects work well for worship.

I also prefer to use not too many effects, but I wouldn't flat out assume that digital = crap. Digital signal processing is getting better and better these days, and while I like the concept of an all analog rig, a good multieffects pedal is a very good starting point. At the very least, it lets you figure out which effects you do and don't like.
Unread 01-17-2014, 02:10 AM   #5

I don’t know about pre made patches, but based on the assumption that you are not using an amp and want to use the modelling on your boss, following on from to_be_released's advice I would suggest:

First - figuring out how to craft/choose a patch which has just the amp modelling engaged, compare a few models and explore the settings until you find a modelled amp tone that you like- probably something cleanish, not too distorted, but possibly with a little bite if you are that way inclined. Be aware that headphones at home and the PA system at church (with other instruments too!) will be different, so if playing in church, optimise for that.

Second- Figure out how to add some kind of overdrive effect to that patch that you can then footswitch in or out— either the same amp model with different settings for more gain or use a modelled overdrive effect and explore how it interacts with the amp model.

Third- Depending on the song/ arrangements you are trying to play, try adding some delay or reverbs that you can footswitch in or out.

That gives you a couple of basic tones at different levels of overdriveyness, and access to delay should you want it without having to overthink/tweak too much during songs when practicing with others or playing at church. Once you’re set for that, explore all the other things you can do and different effects as you have time and inclination. When you find something cool and see a song you think it would work in with your team, give it a go and see what they think.
jimtherocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 02:33 AM   #6

GT-100

I have the GT-100 and love it. Unfortunately, a very large forum just came offline, with years of knowledge and tips on all the GT units lost. I read through most of them and can hopefully answer questions about the unit if you have them. It's extremely versatile, but you have to know how to use it.

One thing I recommend is calibrating your guitar input level (system settings). It's possible a guitar can be too hot on the default neutral input setting, which is going to make everything sound bad. I have a patch I can send you settings for. Basically you adjust input level, strum hard and see when the red light comes on. When your hard strums trigger the light, back off one or two on the input level. One of my guitars is optimized at -3, and another at +6. You want the strongest signal without overloading it. Output select is important too - use line/phones if you go straight to PA, or I use combo amp with my Vox.

Many people run direct to PA with it, but I have a tube amp off stage which is mic'd. If you go direct and use the preamp models, the first seven in the list are "advanced," and I think they are slightly better sounding than the others, so keep that in mind. Natural Clean is great clean and it takes the overdrives well, so that's a good starting point.

I also love using manual mode, where the pedals turn effects on/off, and you can switch effect paths A/B with it too. Patch mode is fine too, just user preference.

A lot of songs use a dotted eighth note delay, so I will set the delay time to dotted eighth (turn dial all the way clockwise), and then in manual mode set accel pedal to BPM TAP. That way you just tap quarter notes with your foot as the song starts, and the delay time adjusts accordingly.

If you use an amp, I recommend making your patches at the volume you'll be playing for your services. Some guys set their patches quietly in the bedroom, then at the gig they sound completely different.
aclaar877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 10:04 PM   #7
Harmonica, guitars, bass

Yes, i did not mean all digtal is crap. Some of it like Boss is very good. There however is tons of crap for sale out there too. My comment was more meant for someone else following the conversation who can't afford the quality. Better to stick with one quality effect you can afford.

Coming from the blues world where many guitarist just stick to simple rigs and get many sound out that.

I use delay more than reberb, a little chorus can be nice, compression when strumming chord. Overdrive, like the Boss Blues Driver would be nice to have. Right now I kick up the gain on my Vox amp. It is like a multi-effects and modelling amp.

I find that many of the effects need to be tweaked down a lot because they are too much for most Christian music.
Unread 01-19-2014, 01:38 PM   #8
...more machine than man.

My usual set up for Sundays now is my Crowdster++ into a zoom multistomp then into the board. Yep. I put my $3k+ guitar into a $99 effects unit. Why? Because sometimes my back hurts and the zoom, which weights less than my amp, is easy to carry. Also, as a bonus, no one can tell the difference if I'm using my hand wired super mojo vox ac4, or my tiny digital multi effects pedal.

On the other hand, they can tell the difference if I'm using bad techniques, or my guitar is out of tune.

My advice to the OP: you've got a nice pedal with that boss. Start with a little drive and some lite delay and go from there. Work on your technique and use your ears.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using CGR Forum

Add me on FaceBook

S.B.Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 09:57 PM   #9
Harmonica, guitars, bass

Has anybody here tried the Line 6 Pod direct to Pa or one of the other Line 6 products. My Vox is a lot to move around.
Has anybody tried the Boss multi-effects with say a harmonica?
Unread 01-23-2014, 12:56 AM   #10

Just joined CG because I was searching for GT-100 praise patches. I'll jump over to the intro section and scribble a few lines.

I've been leading worship a few services a month for a little over a year now. I was using a Boss ME-50 but quickly ran into limitations so put the GT-100 on my Christmas list and my wonderful wife surprised me with it.

Honestly I don't see another way to replicate the songs we play without one of these multi-affects pedals. I've seen the pedal boards with seventeen individual pedals all zip-tied down.....I can't imaging trying to make adjustments to all those between songs. Even with the ME-50 I could set the sounds ahead of time and with one kick of a switch I was changing from Lincoln Brewster to Hillsong. Now with the GT-100 I can save those settings for the next time we play that song instead of reinventing the wheel every few months. Major time saver!

To the OP - check out the "GT-100 FX Floorboard" software that lets you program your board from your laptop...it is awesome and unlike most software that is not written by the manufacturer, this actually works! And its free!

I would be very interested in sharing GT-100 patches for songs. How can we start a library?

I'm running a Roland Cube 30 mic'd with an SM57.
buglehimin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 03:23 PM   #11
Harmonica, guitars, bass

With the right patchs if you did a blind listen test to a decent tube amp trying to get a sound in that classic old time rock and roll or in a blues vein or even jazz how would it do?
Unread 01-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #12
Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by gospelbluesman View Post
With the right patchs if you did a blind listen test to a decent tube amp trying to get a sound in that classic old time rock and roll or in a blues vein or even jazz how would it do?
Given you currently use a multi-effects/modelling amp, you'd notice very little difference from your current amp, I imagine.

I know that for me, it's not so much the sound of a tube amp that's different, but the feel. It's a harder thing to quantify, but the way your guitar interacts with the amp is somehow not the same, and that's a significant portion of why I like using valve amps. I have a joyo amp-in-a-box pedal which sounds great, and does a fantastic faux-tube sound for recordings, but playing it doesn't provide the same feel or satisfaction that a valve amp does. In recordings, the feel doesn't matter as much, because you aren't playing while listening (other than during the recording).

The feel of a tube amp is much more notable when it's cranked, and when you're able to utilise as much of its dynamic range as possible. Often, in a church context, neither of these are adviseable or possible. In those situations, running a multi-effects unit straight into the sound system will decrease logistical issues and "sound" just as good.

I'm glad that at my church, I have the freedom to use the dynamic range offered by my valve amps.
Unread 01-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #13
Harmonica, guitars, bass

For tube amps there is certainly a need to not go too big for the situation. That might mean something as small as a Fender Champ.

The Vox I use at church has a power level setting which is nice to have. It has a pre-amp tube so it needs to be warmed up also.

So far I have yet to find a multi-effects unit that works good for a harmonica. Right now I am Green Bullet to rack effects unit to PA. I not really happy with it though.

what I would want in a multi-effects medal is the ability to make my normal acoustic sound more like a National Steel or Dobro when I play slide.
Unread 02-21-2014, 09:36 AM   #14

Thank you all for your replies. I will try your suggestions and hopefully get better results next time.
Unread 02-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #15

Thank you for your great input. I would really apreciate if you can share the patch to set the input levels' settings.