Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
Xcelerate.

$300 for a pre-wired pickguard worth it?

In my continual pursuit of excellent Strat tone, I have been looking at buying an Am Deluxe pre-wired pickguard to take care of my needs. I really don't know if I can justify spending this much on electronic hardware for my guitar, though. Is it worth it?

My electric rig: Fender Deluxe Player's Strat > Morley Little Alligator > Dunlop Echoplex Preamp > Line 6 M13 > Blackstar HT-5R w/ a 5751

Other stuff: Yamaha CPX-1200 (acoustic), Mid-2000s Fender Standard Jazz Bass
gopats1479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopats1479
In my continual pursuit of excellent Strat tone, I have been looking at buying an Am Deluxe pre-wired pickguard to take care of my needs. I really don't know if I can justify spending this much on electronic hardware for my guitar, though. Is it worth it?
I feel like for $300 you could get better from a non-Fender brand.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
Semper ubi sub ubi!

How much do the separate parts cost? An experienced tech should be able to wire a PG in less than 15 minutes; I did my own in less than an hour. How much are you willing to spend for 15 minutes of labor?

1/2
1/2-Fast Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Arnold Palmers FTW

Send a message via AIM to jamforchrist123 Send a message via Skype™ to jamforchrist123
My favorite start pickups (Lollar vintage blondes) are $90 a pop. Add those three plus the actual pickguard and pots/wiring/etc, it doesn't sound waaay too off.
jamforchrist123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamforchrist123 View Post
My favorite start pickups (Lollar vintage blondes) are $90 a pop. Add those three plus the actual pickguard and pots/wiring/etc, it doesn't sound waaay too off.
and I can see someone paying that for Lollars. Just not for a Fender Am Dlx guard.

of course, perhaps a more important question at this junction is, will a Fender Am Dlx guard actually fit on a Deluxe Player's Strat?

I'm a podcaster
Unread 12-23-2013, 01:25 AM   #6
Okagesama de genki desu

I wouldn't do it. I'm not really a fan of the pickups or wiring arrangement of the AmDlx strats, but even if I was, I could get all the parts to put that together myself for a fraction of $300. I bet you could get the separate components and put it together for $100-$150.

If you're gonna spend $300 on that, make sure it was professionally removed from the previous guitar, all the wiring is solid and in tact, the leads are long enough, and make sure you really like those pickups.
Unread 12-23-2013, 01:33 AM   #7
Arnold Palmers FTW

Send a message via AIM to jamforchrist123 Send a message via Skype™ to jamforchrist123
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
and I can see someone paying that for Lollars. Just not for a Fender Am Dlx guard.
Oh whoops! Didn't notice that he had actually stated what pickups they were. Yeah.... $300 is a bit silly.
jamforchrist123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
Registered Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post

of course, perhaps a more important question at this junction is, will a Fender Am Dlx guard actually fit on a Deluxe Player's Strat?
this was my thought was well, since MIMs use metric and what-have-you.
lifesglorydead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
Okagesama de genki desu

It should fit fine. Fender is pretty standard in their sizes, unlike others (Gibson/Epiphone). The only Fender's I've come across with parts that aren't compatible are the Chinese made Squier and Modern Player.
Unread 12-23-2013, 10:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis4
It should fit fine. Fender is pretty standard in their sizes, unlike others (Gibson/Epiphone). The only Fender's I've come across with parts that aren't compatible are the Chinese made Squier and Modern Player.
Gotcha. I thought MIM and MIA weren't compatible in the past, but I haven't looked into doing a straight guard switch in years.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 12-29-2013, 04:23 AM   #11

Guitar Fetish is your friend.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Pre-Wire...ards_c_25.html

After a certain price point, you're paying for a name. At Guitar Fetish, you're looking at $35 to $50 for the same pre-wired pickguard.

C.

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #12

It all depends on what you're getting, why you want it, and if you can afford it.

If it's what you want, the price doesn't sound too far off, you could easily spend more or less with varying results.
Unread 12-29-2013, 10:35 PM   #13

When you start doing your own building, and especially when you get into equipment fabrication like winding pickups and so on, or have access to that, you start viewing things like OEM products, and what's actually in a name far differently. I would think it interesting to put the two sets of pickups to a blind test and see if there is any discernible benefit or superior sound in one set over the other.

What do you think? Can the $300 Am Dlx pickup set handle the Pepsi Challenge?

C.

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 02:03 AM   #14
Xcelerate.

So would it be worth it to either get a set of DiMarzio Areas or buy one of the GFS hand-wired pickguards with their pickups in it?

My electric rig: Fender Deluxe Player's Strat > Morley Little Alligator > Dunlop Echoplex Preamp > Line 6 M13 > Blackstar HT-5R w/ a 5751

Other stuff: Yamaha CPX-1200 (acoustic), Mid-2000s Fender Standard Jazz Bass
gopats1479 is offline   Reply With Quote