Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #1
Hey ya'll, watch this!

NBD

Never let it be said I don't like a challenge. For about the last year I've been shopping, studying my theory, and trying to make a decision about picking up a second instrument. I'm primarily a guitar player and intend to stay that way. But in a Bluegrass setting if you don't also have a second instrument you are easily forgotten. It was down to the fiddle or the bass for me.

I'm a pretty fundamentally sound guitarist. I can read music, know theory, and can pretty much jump in to most songs by ear. Wow, is this thing a new learning curve! Anyone out there with fretless experience? Oh, and I'm all ears about quick start tips for a new bass player. My plan is to be playing the thing every once in a while at church by the first of the year. It's too much of a beast to haul every Sunday.

Last edited by jeepnstein; 12-26-2013 at 07:41 PM.
jeepnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Freaking sweet. Those things are super fun.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
Chur Bro

Send a message via MSN to dogfood
nice.
Unread 12-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Sweet...I've played the double a handful of times.

As far as general playing tips, playing the bass is almost the opposite of playing guitar. Whereas the guitar usually a leading instrument, the bass is a supporting instrument. A lot of the time I think of the bass as a bridge between the drums and the guitars. I try to lock in with what my drummer is doing on the kick and stay out of the way of the snare.

Do you have a game plan for amplifying that thing?

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
Hey ya'll, watch this!

I'll probably just play into a condenser for now. I'm looking at pickups so I can maybe sweeten it with a touch of effects. We'll have to wait and see how that goes. I'll go direct at the church. I'll have to talk to the sound guy at the venue we play several times a year about what he likes. I prefer playing into a mic if at all possible.
Unread 12-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #6

It is real nice you'll have to post some videos of you jamming out sometime.
"With God all things are possible"-Matthew 19:26
waveofthinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
Hey ya'll, watch this!

Update: I'm coming along. For now I'm cheating on my stop positions with some automotive pinstriping That'll come off soon enough. My wife got me a basic primer on upright bass and a couple of cd's and DVD's. I'm pretty much good to go in the keys of G, C, and D now which covers most bluegrass. A few walking patterns and lots of repetition on chord changes and I'll be playing it in church by late January.

My biggest obstacle is playing time with others.
Unread 12-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #8

I'd have to use stripes to mark the right places to play--at least at first.
Unread 01-13-2014, 08:59 PM   #9
Hey ya'll, watch this!

I'm finding myself not using the stripes much at all tonight. Now I'm focusing on the fact the thing wants to ring forever. It's terribly easy to mush the notes together. And it is LOUD. So now I'm kind of taming the beast so I can play 1-5 patterns quickly and cleanly. It's really a different mind set altogether from what I'm used to with an electric bass. Lots more technique to focus on.

We're going to do a string instrument only service shortly. I'll roll out the bass then.
Unread 01-28-2014, 03:09 PM   #10
Hey ya'll, watch this!

Update. Added a pickup from JJB Electronics. It's pretty nice. Good sound reproduction with a good resistance to feedback. I'm loving this thing.

Unread 01-28-2014, 03:29 PM   #11
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Every time I see this thing I want one a little more.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 07:37 AM   #12
Hey ya'll, watch this!

Latest update. I decided to play around with the bow last night. Wow. For a cheap instrument with a cheap bow all I can say is this thing really growls. I ran through a couple of scales and then had to go to Judo. Maybe this weekend I'll have time to really go through it. Tonight is guitar night...