Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Worship Leading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
Person

Does your music team spend time just jamming?

Or practicing songs that you won't ever play during a church service?

I personally think that jamming is a very good thing to do with a music team. It helps you grow as musicians, both personally and as a team, and allows for incorporation of other musical influences, which can help prevent some of the issues discussed in this thread.

Unfortunately, I think that a lot of music teams feel they don't have the time to "waste" on practicing stuff that isn't immediately relevant for the coming Sunday services. When I was playing for some of the other teams at my church, playing stuff that wasn't "on task" was discouraged. Now that my wife and I are leaders, we allow for periods during the practice to go on musical interludes of jamming, and a) it helps the practice be more enjoyable for those present, and b) some of the most inspired instrumentation we use in our leading comes from the time spent jamming.

Thoughts?

to_be_released is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Definitely. It's rarely just thrown out progressions or throwaway songs by any means, but we've definitely taken extended interludes or outros to songs that we're working on during our mid-week rehearsal time. Sometimes these extended outros show up on a Sunday morning, and sometimes they don't.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Joe F
Whenever our rehearsal ends early, it is mandatory that we do a round of "Sweet Home Alabama". D-C-G no chart needed let it rip!
Joe F is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Sometimes when rehearsal is over a few of us will just go off on a progression for a while and take turns soloing, etc...

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
Basically... run.

paid
I wish. That said, when I'm on guitar, I'm generally the only person playing a non-voice instrument.

Once in a blue moon at music practice (the only time I play lead guitar (we don't have one in our actual services)) I stuff around with the other guitarist with random stuff. But it doesn't happen very often.

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505, Yamaha RBX 375
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 12:43 AM   #6

We've done some of it--mostly in smaller groups though.

I normally play bass, but at a church retreat after a morning session I picked up a guitar (With permission) and started noodling around, and out worship leader started playing a blues riff on the keyboards and we took turns soloing.
Most people were gone by then, but the people left enjoyed it.

When I play bass with someone else leading I find I have to listen more.
I've played guitar & bass with our worship leader for a while, and kind of know where he's going with a song.

Jamming can help with that as well.
Unread 12-09-2013, 03:58 AM   #7
Chur Bro

Send a message via MSN to dogfood
our set up is different.

we have three teams, one does morning services, one the night service, one has the week off.

on practice nights the morning service team has the use of the church stage and practices the playlist but normally that balloons into full out worship ( we encourage church people to come in and worship in our practices).... new songs can come out of what ever happens and that includes jamming.

the night service team practice somewhere else ... again most of our guys practice at home so when we do meet up... its full on worship/ whatever comes out

other team does what ever ... song writing/ bowling/ nothing

we operate on this roster .... but to the OP .... jamming is encouraged... in that its worshipping on whatever instrument you have ..... our worship jams can and do and have gone for over 5 hours.
Unread 12-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #8

We do. We have a small group, to be sure, but do rotate a few people in and out. So, every couple of months we have night specifically set aside for jamming. We typically will work on a few songs for future service, but mostly, it is songs we would not do for services. Things that are not very congregational.

So far, it has been just people from the extended team. We are going to open it to the whole church,with an eye towards finding those that would play if they felt a bit more comfortable.
dknitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #9
Hey ya'll, watch this!

Not any more. We used to. Now everyone is just looking at their watches and heading for the door. It's just as well because some of the members have become so over the top at rehearsal that jamming would be impossible with them. It's a sad state of affairs that I have urged the worship leader to address, but he's one of the ones in a hurry to leave.
jeepnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #10

Our Church has two teams, the team i play on jams on Sunday mornings before we practice for the service. I'm usually the one to start the jam , it lets us warm up and loosen up a bit before we get "serious". When I fill in with the other team whether on guitar or bass, it just aint happenin', they just sit or stand there like their asleep.

I think jamming can have a positive effect, in that the WL can find out what his or her team can do and put it to good use. I also think it helps the team to bond and function as a band of brothers (or sisters) so to speak. Our team is pretty tight both musically and personally. Our team can improv and go with the flow, the other team, not as much. So yes I do think a little jam helps.
babalooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #11

While the band waits for singers and a couple of musicians to roll in about a half hour late, we usually jam out. It's a great way to get a little tighter as a group, and have fun at the same time.
Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote