Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Worship Leading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-31-2015, 04:49 PM   #61
Registered User
 

Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post
I agree...we're not really disagreeing with one another.

My experience was singing hymns almost exclusively. We did break out the little blue Country & Western book on some Sunday nights but Sunday morning was NEVER the place to introduce new songs or experiment. It wasn't until I was an adult that anything remotely similar to a modern praise and worship song was introduced into the Sunday morning service.

The church I serve now is still using a hymnal that is out of print. We do two new songs (via video screen) every Sunday but rarely are the worth repeating.

Now that I think about it, Lord I Lift Your Name On High is probably the first modern praise song I remember singing in church and that was 1990 when I was 20.
Hey, I remember the little blue Country & Western book! Maybe still have a copy of it somewhere, too. I used it playing guitar for 3 cute girls singing For Those Tears I Died when I was about ... 14?

Oh, and Happy New Year.

David Hardesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-31-2015, 07:11 PM   #62
Registered User
 
jeffnles1's Avatar
 

Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 19
i would like to suggest that the hymns we love today are the best of the best. Not every song written 150 years ago was great. Not every song written today is great. Those that have stood the test of time are the great ones. The hymns we sing today are the the ones which were the best of the best, the outstanding songs that are as relevant to day as they were then. If 10 of modern Christian music songs last and are sung 50 years from now, it would be a lot. Not because today's genre of music is bad, it's just the odds. I could argue with Christian music, secular music and classical music, a very small percentage last and most is lost to time.

Not every rock song from the late 60's and 70's is classic rock, but some is.

Just my $.02 work.
jeffnles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2015, 09:27 PM   #63
Old School
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Geezerville
Posts: 55,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hardesty View Post
Hey, I remember the little blue Country & Western book! Maybe still have a copy of it somewhere, too. I used it playing guitar for 3 cute girls singing For Those Tears I Died when I was about ... 14?

Oh, and Happy New Year.
For Those Tears I Died was one of our regulars. There are actually three or four (maybe more) volumes of that thing. I've got the blue, yellow, and magenta ones. They're the small wire bound versions.
__________________
Nothing (Without You)
Granville Center Church of Christ Sermons
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2015, 09:29 PM   #64
Old School
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Geezerville
Posts: 55,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
i would like to suggest that the hymns we love today are the best of the best. Not every song written 150 years ago was great. Not every song written today is great. Those that have stood the test of time are the great ones. The hymns we sing today are the the ones which were the best of the best, the outstanding songs that are as relevant to day as they were then. If 10 of modern Christian music songs last and are sung 50 years from now, it would be a lot. Not because today's genre of music is bad, it's just the odds. I could argue with Christian music, secular music and classical music, a very small percentage last and most is lost to time.

Not every rock song from the late 60's and 70's is classic rock, but some is.

Just my $.02 work.
I mentioned both Shout To The Lord and Here I Am To Worship (Heart Of Worship also comes to mind) because I think they do stand the test of time.

10,000 Reasons and In Christ Alone are two newer songs that I also think will outlast most of the modern stuff. Why? They have solid lyrics.
__________________
Nothing (Without You)
Granville Center Church of Christ Sermons
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2016, 02:18 PM   #65
Laconic Geezer Veep
 
Tony's Avatar
 

Joined: Jul 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 8,292
paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post
I mentioned both Shout To The Lord and Here I Am To Worship (Heart Of Worship also comes to mind) because I think they do stand the test of time.

10,000 Reasons and In Christ Alone are two newer songs that I also think will outlast most of the modern stuff. Why? They have solid lyrics.
But when the trend is to not use songs beyond a certain age, we will lose quality stuff to our short attention span.
Except for 10 thousand reasons, I haven't heard the example songs in my church in 5 years. And it's been at least a year or more since 10 thousand reasons.

Will some churches do them? Yes. Will most? No, and therefore good songs will never have the time to sink in because of the tyranny of the new.
__________________
tony hartsfield
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

CGR journal :: Twitter :: LinkedIn :: Facebook :: Google Profile :: Wordpress
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2016, 08:57 AM   #66
Old School
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Geezerville
Posts: 55,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
But when the trend is to not use songs beyond a certain age, we will lose quality stuff to our short attention span.
Except for 10 thousand reasons, I haven't heard the example songs in my church in 5 years. And it's been at least a year or more since 10 thousand reasons.

Will some churches do them? Yes. Will most? No, and therefore good songs will never have the time to sink in because of the tyranny of the new.
That's what bothers me. Before I moved up here I was still on the praise team at my home church. I don't know how much time and effort we put in to learn a handful of new songs, only to play them a year or two and then discard them.

When was the last time any of us danced upon injustice or became undignified?

__________________
Nothing (Without You)
Granville Center Church of Christ Sermons
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2016, 12:32 PM   #67
...
Administrator
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,106
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman
That's what bothers me. Before I moved up here I was still on the praise team at my home church. I don't know how much time and effort we put in to learn a handful of new songs, only to play them a year or two and then discard them. When was the last time any of us danced upon injustice or became undignified?
I got undignified last year, but I didn't feel good about it.
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2016, 12:43 PM   #68
Old School
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Geezerville
Posts: 55,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
I got undignified last year, but I didn't feel good about it.
Some would say it's foolishness.

I have to ask, did you leave your pride by the side?
__________________
Nothing (Without You)
Granville Center Church of Christ Sermons
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2016, 01:30 PM   #69
Laconic Geezer Veep
 
Tony's Avatar
 

Joined: Jul 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 8,292
paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post
That's what bothers me. Before I moved up here I was still on the praise team at my home church. I don't know how much time and effort we put in to learn a handful of new songs, only to play them a year or two and then discard them.

When was the last time any of us danced upon injustice or became undignified?

Fortunately, my youth ministry days were over by then.

I've never done either, not even on a bet.
__________________
tony hartsfield
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

CGR journal :: Twitter :: LinkedIn :: Facebook :: Google Profile :: Wordpress
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2016, 02:02 PM   #70
...
Administrator
 
thesteve's Avatar
 

Joined: Apr 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 30,106
Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman
Some would say it's foolishness. I have to ask, did you leave your pride by the side?
I didn't have any pride left after that song was done.
__________________
We've all got ideas. We are the music makers. We make money to buy things, and write down words.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2016, 02:08 PM   #71
Old School
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Geezerville
Posts: 55,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Fortunately, my youth ministry days were over by then.

I've never done either, not even on a bet.
You haven't truly lived then...now have you?



Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
I didn't have any pride left after that song was done.
I guess the only thing left to do was dance in the river. Eh?
__________________
Nothing (Without You)
Granville Center Church of Christ Sermons
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2016, 06:22 PM   #72
Registered User
 

Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 32
One of the nicest things about being our church's worship leader is that I get to choose whatever is good and fitting. We danced on injustice in September, celebrated 10,000 Reasons in November, and found hope In Christ Alone last Sunday. That's in addition to singing O Come Redeemer of the Earth (by St. Ambrose of Milan (d. 397) on Christmas Eve. Howyalikedemapples?

If great songs are going to remain maybe it's up to us to take the initiative to foster them, Is it possible to share this conversation with your worship leaders and point out that they should keep the good? Yes, they might want to be "relevant" but I've discovered that when you're only "contemporary" you're only one minute away from being "obsolete".
David Hardesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2016, 09:43 PM   #73
Registered User
 
Southpaw Pete's Avatar
 

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hardesty View Post
Yes, they might want to be "relevant" but I've discovered that when you're only "contemporary" you're only one minute away from being "obsolete".
That is a great quote!

I think there really is a wealth of music out there spanning the ages, and I think it can be unfortunate when churches will ignore such a wealth of great material available to them (and often familiar to their congregation).

I've led worship in churches of all sorts over the years, and at one point I was working in a small rural Nazarene church. Most of the congregation were elderly, many of whom had never even traveled outside their little county. Before that I had been touring with a band of fellow YWAMmers, always learning the new songs and leading worship in a variety of churches, festivals, ministries... but in this church the congregation didn't really want the new songs. I would do some on occasion, and they would sing along... but the real worshipful response happened when I would lead them in their familiar mountain hymns. God taught me a LOT about what worship really is from that small congregation.

I am currently working at a Lutheran church, and have been here over ten years now. And while we do have the modern band thing going on, and mostly keep up with a lot of newer music, I always make sure to have at least one hymn and some familiar songs from years past (such as Here I am to Worship etc...). While it is fun, leading worship is not just about doing the coolest new songs, but about doing the songs that will help the congregation express their worship best - whether it is through old time mountain hymns, older traditional hymns, or the latest modern songs. That being said, we try to mix it up, from the Hillsong etc... guitar driven sound and songs, to the acoustic with accordion/mando/whistles (kinda Robin Mark-ish)... and as mentioned earlier on here, it is always fun to try a new spin and arrangement on a song or hymn to keep it fresh.
Southpaw Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:55 AM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2