Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Deeper Issues > Life Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
The Elephant in Your Room
 
Ben Toast's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2011
Location: The Monks
Posts: 5,029
paid
Finding a Grad School...

...that accepts degrees that are nationally but not regionally accredited can be frustrating. I was hoping to pursue a M.A. in Counseling Psychology at the University of Missouri (MU) starting fall 2016, but I just found out their minimum requirement is a Bachelor's from a regionally accredited institution. However, I heard back from a grad school back home with a M.S. program in Clinical Mental Health Counseling that they will accept my bible college B.A. in Christian Counseling, even without regional accreditation, so long as my GPA is around 3.3 or higher. Currently I am at a 3.48 cumulative GPA. I'm still looking around and will continue to do so for the next couple years before making a decision, but it is frustrating to know that options are limited by accreditation. I'll keep this thread updated as the search continues.

__________________
I hope that all is well in heaven, 'cause it's all shot to hell down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-30-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
The Story Teller
 
Caged Love's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Anywhere but the city
Posts: 755
I know of a couple Canadian grad schools that might accommodate you, but it's probably a pain to get the Visa and all
__________________
"When you say there's too much evil in this world you assume there's good. When you assume there's good, you assume there's such a thing as a moral law on the basis of which to differentiate between good and evil. But if you assume a moral law, you must posit a moral Law Giver, but that's Who you're trying to disprove and not prove. Because if there's no moral Law Giver, there's no moral law. If there's no moral law, there's no good. If there's no good, there's no evil. What is your question?" — Ravi Zacharias
Caged Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
transubstantiate life
 
SccHarpGirl's Avatar
 

Joined: Sep 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 9,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Love View Post
I know of a couple Canadian grad schools that might accommodate you, but it's probably a pain to get the Visa and all
Not really, I did undergrad in canada as an American and had no real issues with the student visa, it was pretty easy to get
__________________


Check out my Blog!
SccHarpGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
The Story Teller
 
Caged Love's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Anywhere but the city
Posts: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by SccHarpGirl View Post
Not really, I did undergrad in canada as an American and had no real issues with the student visa, it was pretty easy to get
Oh nice! Where did you do your undergraduate?
__________________
"When you say there's too much evil in this world you assume there's good. When you assume there's good, you assume there's such a thing as a moral law on the basis of which to differentiate between good and evil. But if you assume a moral law, you must posit a moral Law Giver, but that's Who you're trying to disprove and not prove. Because if there's no moral Law Giver, there's no moral law. If there's no moral law, there's no good. If there's no good, there's no evil. What is your question?" — Ravi Zacharias
Caged Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
transubstantiate life
 
SccHarpGirl's Avatar
 

Joined: Sep 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 9,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Love View Post

Oh nice! Where did you do your undergraduate?
McGill university, in Montreal. The CAQ (Quebec visa) was sort of a pain but the canadian study permit was easy.

McGill was a great school. I'm really glad of my decision to go there.
__________________


Check out my Blog!
SccHarpGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
The Story Teller
 
Caged Love's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Anywhere but the city
Posts: 755
Yeah McGill has a good reputation from what I can understand. Quebec is a wee bit funny at times but oh well, I still love them.
__________________
"When you say there's too much evil in this world you assume there's good. When you assume there's good, you assume there's such a thing as a moral law on the basis of which to differentiate between good and evil. But if you assume a moral law, you must posit a moral Law Giver, but that's Who you're trying to disprove and not prove. Because if there's no moral Law Giver, there's no moral law. If there's no moral law, there's no good. If there's no good, there's no evil. What is your question?" — Ravi Zacharias
Caged Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2014, 05:30 PM   #7
The Elephant in Your Room
 
Ben Toast's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2011
Location: The Monks
Posts: 5,029
paid
So, an updated on the whole finding-a-grad-program situation. I've narrowed my desirable programs to something along two lines: counseling psychology, or marriage & family therapy.

That means I kicked UW Stout's Clinical Mental Health Counseling program out the door. This was roughly January/February.

Bethel University in Minneapolis has a M.A. program in Counseling Psychology. They hesitant to accept my degree (again, per accreditation), which resulted in my looking to transfer schools for awhile. However, my college president talked with them and it worked out that they would, in fact, accept degrees from my school. SO, Bethel is currently an option.

I also just found out that UW Stout ALSO has an M.S. in Marriage & Family Therapy. Said program also happens to be fairly well-acclaimed. It's also very close to Eau Claire, but that factoid is becoming more irrelevant by the day.

I'm trying to figure out how much the program would cost. It's not looking cheap, but I don't think any grad school is falls under the category of "cheap."
__________________
I hope that all is well in heaven, 'cause it's all shot to hell down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2014, 06:17 PM   #8
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator
 
Leboman's Avatar
 

Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Geezerville
Posts: 56,211
Look at price but also look at accreditation.

Are you looking for an on campus program or distance learning?
__________________
Nothing (Without You)
Nothing (Without You) on YouTube
Granville Center Church of Christ Sermons
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2014, 02:26 PM   #9
The Elephant in Your Room
 
Ben Toast's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2011
Location: The Monks
Posts: 5,029
paid
I'm looking for an on-campus program. This is one of two MFT programs that have been recognized by the AAMFT as being continuously accredited for over 30 years.

EDIT: Here is a link to the program, which has links to its description and all the informations.

http://www.uwstout.edu/programs/msmft/index.cfm
__________________
I hope that all is well in heaven, 'cause it's all shot to hell down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...

Last edited by Ben Toast; 05-29-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2015, 09:32 PM   #10
The Elephant in Your Room
 
Ben Toast's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2011
Location: The Monks
Posts: 5,029
paid
Back to the grad school search. Though I would very much prefer on-campus learning, I am not certain if I want to do an immersive (full-time only) or non-immersive (can be taken at own pace) program. The immersive program would certainly be well-structured (which would be perfect for my learning style), but wouldn't allow much room for outside employment. The non-immersive could be taken at a slower pace while working full-time otherwise.

UW-Stout (as I mentioned previously) is the only grad school in Wisconsin that I know of which will accept my degree from CCCB. I do want to stick to Wisconsin for a graduate program, because that means in-state tuition rates and thus, less overall cost of education.

As I mentioned in my journal, though, I find myself more and more wanting to work with juvenile delinquents. I'm starting to wonder if the MFT program will be good for that, or if I want to look at another option. Perhaps the CMHC program might be better-suited for that. Time to start poking around.
__________________
I hope that all is well in heaven, 'cause it's all shot to hell down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2015, 12:32 AM   #11
Chur Bro
 
dogfood's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2004
Location: New Zealand, Fiji
Posts: 13,440
Send a message via MSN to dogfood
Become a CPF moderator
__________________
dogfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #12
The Elephant in Your Room
 
Ben Toast's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2011
Location: The Monks
Posts: 5,029
paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfood View Post
Become a CPF moderator
I've only been a journals mod for... less than 3 months. I don't think Lee would approve.
__________________
I hope that all is well in heaven, 'cause it's all shot to hell down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2015, 04:59 AM   #13
Chur Bro
 
dogfood's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2004
Location: New Zealand, Fiji
Posts: 13,440
Send a message via MSN to dogfood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Toast
I've only been a journals mod for... less than 3 months. I don't think Lee would approve.
Mate... I spoke and it happened
__________________
dogfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2015, 01:12 PM   #14
Deets Go Here
 
bravesfan007's Avatar
 

Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Right Behind You
Posts: 14,163
I know you mentioned having an on-site program, and I don't know how you would feel about it, but have you looked into Liberty University? I received my Master's through there and didn't have to pass a grad school entrance exam. They offer quite a few paths that you could choose from as well.
__________________
If you are offended by most posts, please do not feel alone. I am an equal opportunity offender. I will offend everyone.

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
Your mother appears to have been infected by Kentl.
bravesfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2015, 04:16 PM   #15
The Elephant in Your Room
 
Ben Toast's Avatar
 

Joined: Feb 2011
Location: The Monks
Posts: 5,029
paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfood View Post
Mate... I spoke and it happened
I suppose so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan007 View Post
I know you mentioned having an on-site program, and I don't know how you would feel about it, but have you looked into Liberty University? I received my Master's through there and didn't have to pass a grad school entrance exam. They offer quite a few paths that you could choose from as well.
Right now I'm waiting. If I end up at this juvi, they may want to push me toward a master's in social work, and possibly offer to pay for it. At that rate, it would likely have to be a Wisconsin university. As it stands, UW-Stout has offered to accept my undergrad (as long as my GPA is over 3.0), but as I'm not particularly looking at going into Marriage & Family Therapy like I thought I would two years ago, I'm not sure how valuable that acceptance is to me at this point.
__________________
I hope that all is well in heaven, 'cause it's all shot to hell down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:24 PM.


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2