Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > CGR Stuff > CD Reviews > A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Rank the overall quality of this CD, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 0 0%
6 0 0%
7 0 0%
8 0 0%
9 3 100.00%
10 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #1

paid
August Burns Red - Rescue & Restore

01. Provision
02. Treatment
03. Spirit Breaker
04. Count It All As Lost
05. Sincerity
06. Creative Captivity
07. Fault Line
08. Beauty In Tragedy
09. Animals
10. Echoes
11. The First Step

[IMG][/IMG]

Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor does He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
earlessdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #2

paid
Suggested guide for voting
10 - Amazing CD. Everyone should own it.
9 - Among the best of the year.
8 - One of the top CDs around, but could have been improved in a few places.
7 - Not a bad CD, but could have been better in a number of places.
6 - Pretty good for it's genre, but overall it's only acceptable.
5 - Decent CD, but only if you're a big fan of this genre.
4 - If you love this band, you'll like this CD. Otherwise, probably not.
3 - If you're a fan of this genre, the CD is barely acceptable.
2 - If you're a big fan of this band, this CD is tolerable.
1 - Even if you like this band, you won't like this CD.
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor does He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
earlessdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #3

To say that I am an ABR fan is a huge understatement. They were the first metal band that I really got in to, and because of that, they quickly became my favorite. So, needless to say, I was excited when I heard that they were coming out with a new album. Named "Rescue and Restore", this album takes some of the progressive concepts and ideas from "Leveler" and takes them to a whole new level. While the previous album had people that either loved it or hated it (I personally really enjoyed it), it's understandable for a veteran listener to approach their newest effort with hesitation. However, instead of being forceful about being unique, this album makes everything flow together and seem effortless. Overall the whole album is structured really thoughtfully, and this is apparent throughout.

The first track "Provision" is a straightforward baseballs to the walls ABR piece that instantly draws the listener in with its great guitar hook and heaviness. Next is "Treatment", which is the longest song on the album (as well as one of my favorites), and is a good introduction to the diverse instruments they used on the album. In the middle of the song, they go into a softer section that involves orchestral instruments, and is very flowing and keeps the piece moving forward. "Spirit Breaker" was released as a single a few weeks before the album released, and when I first heard it, I was not impressed. However, as I have got to listen to it more, it has grown on me. In the middle of the piece, vocalist Jake Luhrs breaks into spoken word, and it tells of struggling with the hard times in life, but looking for the light at the end. For the next song, JB Brubaker, their lead guitarist, calls "Count it all as Loss" as "one of the most technical pieces they've ever written", and it shows. The guitars are relentless throughout, and it feels a lot like "Internal Cannon" from their previous album, however it has it's own unique twist to keep the song interesting. "Sincerity" brings in gang vocals into the mix, and they utilize them perfectly. They reinforce the point that is being shouted by Jake, and it makes the message all the more poignant. The song after that, "Creative Captivity", starts out very subdued, and slowly builds and builds adding instrument upon instrument, and finally Jake comes in with vocals, but they are just above the instruments, and isn't in your face. This track is probably the most beautiful on the album. "Fault Line" is another song that is very reminiscent of their "Messengers" stuff, but with it's own twist that keeps it in line with the rest of the albums ideas. The next track is probably my favorite. "Beauty in Tragedy" has some powerful lyrics, with powerful riffs to back it up. It builds nicely and it progresses from sounding very sad at the beginning to happy at the end (going along with the idea that there is beauty in tragedy. "Animals" sounds very Middle Eastern and helps to keep things fresh and interesting towards the end of the album. The second to last song (Echoes) on the track is written in 7/8 time, which actually sounds pretty awesome. I thoroughly enjoy the groove that the song brings (which isn't to say that the rest of the album doesn't groove, it's just this one is uniquely awesome). The album closer is called "The First Step" and it starts off really strong, and slowly takes away instruments until it ends with just the sound of a breeze. It's a great way to end the album, and I appreciate ABR for putting it in there.

Overall, I really like this album, and I honestly think it's one of their best, if not their best album they've ever put out. If you like metal, do yourself a favor and pick this album up. You will not be disappointed.
Current Rig: Gretsch Electromatic/Deluxe Stratocaster -> Polytuner-> BBE Wah -> MXR Dyna Comp -> TS9DX Overdrive -> MXR Custom '78 Distrotion -> Boss DD-7 Delay -> Holy Grail Plus Reverb -> Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

Check out my Journal
r3vo1ution1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3vo1ution1991 View Post
To say that I am an ABR fan is a huge understatement. They were the first metal band that I really got in to, and because of that, they quickly became my favorite. So, needless to say, I was excited when I heard that they were coming out with a new album. Named "Rescue and Restore", this album takes some of the progressive concepts and ideas from "Leveler" and takes them to a whole new level. While the previous album had people that either loved it or hated it (I personally really enjoyed it), it's understandable for a veteran listener to approach their newest effort with hesitation. However, instead of being forceful about being unique, this album makes everything flow together and seem effortless. Overall the whole album is structured really thoughtfully, and this is apparent throughout.

The first track "Provision" is a straightforward baseballs to the walls ABR piece that instantly draws the listener in with its great guitar hook and heaviness. Next is "Treatment", which is the longest song on the album (as well as one of my favorites), and is a good introduction to the diverse instruments they used on the album. In the middle of the song, they go into a softer section that involves orchestral instruments, and is very flowing and keeps the piece moving forward. "Spirit Breaker" was released as a single a few weeks before the album released, and when I first heard it, I was not impressed. However, as I have got to listen to it more, it has grown on me. In the middle of the piece, vocalist Jake Luhrs breaks into spoken word, and it tells of struggling with the hard times in life, but looking for the light at the end. For the next song, JB Brubaker, their lead guitarist, calls "Count it all as Loss" as "one of the most technical pieces they've ever written", and it shows. The guitars are relentless throughout, and it feels a lot like "Internal Cannon" from their previous album, however it has it's own unique twist to keep the song interesting. "Sincerity" brings in gang vocals into the mix, and they utilize them perfectly. They reinforce the point that is being shouted by Jake, and it makes the message all the more poignant. The song after that, "Creative Captivity", starts out very subdued, and slowly builds and builds adding instrument upon instrument, and finally Jake comes in with vocals, but they are just above the instruments, and isn't in your face. This track is probably the most beautiful on the album. "Fault Line" is another song that is very reminiscent of their "Messengers" stuff, but with it's own twist that keeps it in line with the rest of the albums ideas. The next track is probably my favorite. "Beauty in Tragedy" has some powerful lyrics, with powerful riffs to back it up. It builds nicely and it progresses from sounding very sad at the beginning to happy at the end (going along with the idea that there is beauty in tragedy. "Animals" sounds very Middle Eastern and helps to keep things fresh and interesting towards the end of the album. The second to last song (Echoes) on the track is written in 7/8 time, which actually sounds pretty awesome. I thoroughly enjoy the groove that the song brings (which isn't to say that the rest of the album doesn't groove, it's just this one is uniquely awesome). The album closer is called "The First Step" and it starts off really strong, and slowly takes away instruments until it ends with just the sound of a breeze. It's a great way to end the album, and I appreciate ABR for putting it in there.

Overall, I really like this album, and I honestly think it's one of their best, if not their best album they've ever put out. If you like metal, do yourself a favor and pick this album up. You will not be disappointed.
Thanks for this review. This CD was on my list of "CDs to get" and I just bumped it up a few notches.

I'm a big ABR fan, too, and they are touring next week near where I live, but nobody I know likes metal or wants to go with me, so I didn't buy any tickets.
Lisk is offline   Reply With Quote