Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Automotive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-23-2013, 04:07 AM   #1
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Gas Cap Failure

Somehow the gas cap on my motorcycle has come to be damaged to the point that it no longer opens with my key. Right now I'm waiting on a replacement part, which will hopefully be here today. However, if ot doesn't come in today would there be any problem with attempting run the bike with the cap removed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:14 AM   #2
Minister

I've seen cars with their caps off and had one off of my car once. Maybe motorcycles are different though. I would be cautious and not use it until you get the cap.
RuthD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #3

You're kidding right?
I could see the scenario.....
Someone or something suddenly appears in the road, and you swerve to miss, dumping fuel out the side of the tank and onto the exhaust pipe, which ignites the gas.
The fire climbs up the fuel soaked engine case, and up the side of the tank to the top.
You calmly ride your fireball to your destination.
(I was joking about that last part...)

Wait for the replacement part dude...
Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
You're kidding right?
I could see the scenario.....
Someone or something suddenly appears in the road, and you swerve to miss, dumping fuel out the side of the tank and onto the exhaust pipe, which ignites the gas.
The fire climbs up the fuel soaked engine case, and up the side of the tank to the top.
You calmly ride your fireball to your destination.
(I was joking about that last part...)

Wait for the replacement part dude...
I thought about this for awhile and came to the conclusion that he must be thinking of at least putting something over the top with some tape. If nothing else I would be worried about debris getting in the tank, gas sloshing out, fumes, don't know....just sounds like a bad idea.

You can't pick up a cheap replacement from a local dealer?
jthomas1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas1600 View Post
I thought about this for awhile and came to the conclusion that he must be thinking of at least putting something over the top with some tape. If nothing else I would be worried about debris getting in the tank, gas sloshing out, fumes, don't know....just sounds like a bad idea.

You can't pick up a cheap replacement from a local dealer?

I had thought of salvaging my rain suit pants which have a huge hole in them and taping a section of it over the gas tank.

I did call some local shops, none of them had the lock, either oem or aftermarket. Fortunately, when I got to work this morning my mom called me and said my box with the gas cap had arrived, so when I got home I set to work replacing it.

That turned out to be a bit more involved than I had originally believed. There is a flange bolted to the tank which is connected to the actual port by way of a hinge that allows the cap to open. When in the open position the only thing securing the cap and assembly to the gas tank is this flange, but when closed and locked the lock itself secures the cap to the tank via a swiveling lip that catches just under the rim of the tank, and once the motor is running vacuum pressure further tightens the seal. I didn't know all of that before I got to work this evening, I thought if I just unbolted the flange the whole assembly could slide free. It was in discovering the resistance the cap gave to lifting up that I decided to head to the forums and consult others past misfortunes. There are several schools of thought on how to defeat a lock like this that has refused attempts at lubrication to free it up, most of them involve drilling out the lock or hammering a flat head screwdriver into the key hole and twisting it open. None of those were really options because at the end of them I would have to drain and remove the gas tank to clean out metal shavings and large debris from the lock. After about an hour of reading I finally found a person who said he had used multiple flat head screw drivers placed at specific points around the flange and locking mechanism and lifted it at an angle, and as the angle increased the lock eventually popped free of the gas tank and the whole assembly lifted out with ease. That was the method I tried and it worked. I got the old cap off and placed the new one on. I just went to go get gas and now I am a happy biker once again.

I posted all of that so that incase any other bikers on here wind up having a similar problem and lubes don't work and want another option besides having to remove the gas tank they will have at least one more trick to try out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #6

Ahhh! Back to good. Cool.....
Thanks for the cap r&r info. Glad it's workin for you.
Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote