Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Automotive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
Guitar Player...

iPod/Aux Input for Buick Century

So I recently bought a 2001 Buick Century which I am loving, but the one thing I am missing is the ability to listen to music from my iPhone. In my old car I just used a cheap FM Transmitter, which actually worked great. In this car, though, any FM Transmitter I have tried has fit loose in the 12v outlet and keeps cutting out/pausing my music. So, I'm looking at other options. I thought about buying a new deck, but I don't want to spend very much and I also don't want to loose the ability to use the stereo controls which are built into my steering wheel.

What I'm thinking of doing is buying this adapter: PXDP (iPod2Car) Universal iPod Adapter for over 135 Vehicles :: iPod Adapters & Interfaces
Supposedly it will plug into the back of my existing stereo and allow me connect my ipod and even use the steering wheel controls to control my iphone. I think it basically works by using the external CD changer functionality that these stereos have. The full thing with the needed adapters would probably cost me about $100. The thing is, I'm not 100% sure if it will work with my car. Does anyone have any experience with these sorts of things? My car doesn't have the plug in the trunk which I guess a lot of GMs already have, but I think that just means I need one more adapter for the back of the stereo. I'm also unsure because my stereo just has a generic "Source" button on it, not the "Tape/AUX" or "CD/AUX" that the compatibility notes mention.

Lastly, I want to do a self-instal, but I know this stereo has a weird theftlock thing on it (sorry, not really sure what it is or how it works). Am I going to mess things up by tring to do it myself? I do have the code for it.

I'm pretty new to understanding how car audio stuff works... any tips or advice is appreciated!

Gear
Art & Lutherie Spruce with Quantum I Electronics
Agile AL-3100 -> GFT-90 Pedal Tuner -> SBN BDAB -> Danelectro Cool Cat Drive (OCD Clone) -> Boss DD-7 w/ homemade tap tempo -> Garnet Gnome
dtaylorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
Mr. Kvorkomiskinovichlich

For $100 you might as well get a whole car stereo with Bluetooth, USB, Aux....
Frank1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
Guitar Player...

Would it work with my steering wheel controls? I think I've seen some adapters that would allow it to, but they were $100+ just for the adapter. Not really sure what I'm looking for though, so maybe it doesn't have to be that expensive?

Gear
Agile AL-3100 -> GFT-90 Pedal Tuner -> SBN BDAB -> Danelectro Cool Cat Drive (OCD Clone) -> Boss DD-7 w/ homemade tap tempo -> Garnet Gnome
Unread 08-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtaylorl
Would it work with my steering wheel controls? I think I've seen some adapters that would allow it to, but they were $100+ just for the adapter. Not really sure what I'm looking for though, so maybe it doesn't have to be that expensive?
Yeah, I don't know about that...

It was real simple in my brother's '99 civic

I was just throwing out a suggestion. I don't know anything else. Sorry :/
Unread 08-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
Guitar Player...

No worries, I appreciate the suggestion. Would $100 buy a decent stereo? (Wouldn't need to be spectacular, I just wouldn't want it to be a downgrade from the stock radio) I really know very little what makes a car stereo good or not.

Gear
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtaylorl
No worries, I appreciate the suggestion. Would $100 buy a decent stereo? (Wouldn't need to be spectacular, I just wouldn't want it to be a downgrade from the stock radio) I really know very little what makes a car stereo good or not.
My brother got a great sounding Pioneer stereo with CD (standard and MP3 CDs), Bluetooth (calls and music, the Included microphone does great noise cancelation), USB for iPod/iPhone or MP3 off of a flash drive, AUX in, and a lot of unneeded pretty colors xD
It was $120. For $100, you could probably get one without Bluetooth.
Unread 08-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
Guitar Player...

Cool. I might be able to get a Pioneer DEH-1200MP for dirt cheep - would that be a decent option? It would need a dash kit and a wiring harness as well as they aren't included. Anyone else know anything about adapters for steering wheel controls?

Gear
Unread 09-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
Guitar Player...

Update: I bought the iPod2Car adapter and it works. Unfortunately its getting some sort of interference noise (a sort of clicking sound). Contacted the support and they said:

Quote:
Sorry to hear of the issues you are having. Ground the interface directly to chassis to try and alleviate the noise. It will be in pin 11 of the 22 pin connector on the PXHGM1 harness.
So, it sounds like its a grounding issue. How would I go about grounding this to the chasis. Of course, you're all probably not familiar with this specific product, but in a general sense how is this usually done? Where exactly should I attach it? Any bare metal? Do I just wrap it tight or do I solder it or something? Does the guage of wire matter?

Gear
Unread 11-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
Guitar Player...

Contacted manufacturer support, they said to get a replacement. I did, it doesn't work either. So, I think I'm giving up on this solution.

I recently acquired a Pioneer DEH-1300MP stereo that I'm wondering about installing instead. A few questions:
-It doesn't have a harness... looks like this is a harness for my vehicle and this is the stereo harness. Do the wires from two harnesses like this attach together easily?
-Is there anyway to test if a stereo works before installing it? I'm thinking not likely, but I did get it second hand and it would be nice to know for sure before buying a harness, dash kit, etc.

Gear
Unread 11-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtaylorl View Post
Contacted manufacturer support, they said to get a replacement. I did, it doesn't work either. So, I think I'm giving up on this solution.

I recently acquired a Pioneer DEH-1300MP stereo that I'm wondering about installing instead. A few questions:
-It doesn't have a harness... looks like this is a harness for my vehicle and this is the stereo harness. Do the wires from two harnesses like this attach together easily?
-Is there anyway to test if a stereo works before installing it? I'm thinking not likely, but I did get it second hand and it would be nice to know for sure before buying a harness, dash kit, etc.
If that harnesses are created with a sane standard, the colors should match up. My brother's only matched about half of them. Find a guide for both harnesses, and match the wires up manually. If the colors seem to match up, double check anyway.

My brother connected his wires with these little crimp things. Ill ask him about it later when he gets home.

I have no idea how you could test it outside of a car...
Unread 11-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #11
Guitar Player...

So basically solder or crimp the two harnesses together?

Figured it couldn't be tested outside of a car, but thought I'd at least ask unless there was some way I hadn't thought of

Gear
Unread 11-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #12

Quote:
So basically solder or crimp the two harnesses together?

Figured it couldn't be tested outside of a car, but thought I'd at least ask unless there was some way I hadn't thought of
Crimp would probably be cleaner
Unread 11-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #13
Guitar Player...

Shoot, I have a soldering iron, but no crimping tool

Gear
Unread 11-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Shoot, I have a soldering iron, but no crimping tool
Well, it'll work :P
Unread 01-15-2014, 08:28 PM   #15
Guitar Player...

Thanks for all the help so far guys. Unfortunately PXPD didn't end up working out. I'm having an FM modulator sent instead. Looking at the instalation instructions, I need to find find a power source to hook it into - preferably a "Power when key-on" or "switched accessory". What is the best way to do this? Fuse tap? Wire tap? ScotchLock? Something else?

Gear