Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
heeeey brother

New Amp Day!

Well, it was yesterday but I didn't post.

After a couple months of waiting, my Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 head came in!

My other cab is at my jam space with my main bass, so testing last night was done at low volumes with a bass I don't really like and just one cab, but even based on that the tone is sweet! Pretty well exactly what I've been after.

In half an hour I'm packing up to head to a gig, so ill post with more feedback tomorrow!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Unread 08-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
heeeey brother

Weird that that posted sideways...tilt your monitors!
Unread 08-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
That's just a little guy. Haha.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
heeeey brother

It's so cute! Part of the reason I bought two single 12s instead of a 2x12 was for exactly this-bring one to practice, two to gigs and save my back
Unread 08-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
heeeey brother

It is rather unlike my style, though-visually at least. It's neat and clean, small and light, and there is no place to jam tubes into! But sonically it's all there for me
Unread 08-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
I'm on a horse.

Yeah, I've only ever heard the big Aguilars before. Maybe I'll check that little guy out sometime.

Unread 08-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Micahb, how long ago did you move away from the MarkBass stuff? IIRC you were pretty into them for awhile. Was there a reason for it, or just decided to go in another direction?

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
heeeey brother

It's been a few years now. I was kind of getting tired of the tone, then one day I went right from practice to a gig-practice was good then I got to the show and there was no output. The repair ended up being around $300 from a good guy I trust. It was a small thing-one of the pins got bent after a jostle in transit which caused issues. My tech told me on a bigger amp it would have been cheap, but it took hours and hours and hours to disassemble the amp to get to the part, fix it and put it back together.

I sold it to recoup my cost of repair and swore off micro amps. Since then I moved to a preamp and power amp setup. I had a revolving door of gear trying to find a match, and finally settled on a killer combo-an Aguilar Tone Hammer preamp into a late 60s Garnet 200 watt power amp.

More to the story, but I have to run. Ill finish tomorrow!
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #9
Administrator

I'd definitely love to read the rest.

I'm starting to burn out on the GK Backline 600 running into a Peavey 1820 setup at my church. I don't know exactly what it is, but it sounds a little off to me. It almost feels like it's lacking in lows without making up for it in mids. Something about it just feels a little hollow...

So in turn that was partially my question about the Markbass stuff...I don't know if I'll have the coin for MB, but I'm definitely thinking about a low-cost 2x10" tilt-back option like the old Carvin R600.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 08-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
heeeey brother

Okay, so I'm using an Aguilar pre into an old tube power amp.
Now, I had gotten rid of the Markbass head, but swore if never get rid of the cab. I hated the look of the thing, but it sounded pretty good and the sound combined with the weight just made it an absolute winner for me. I picked up an Amped 8x10 which was the best sounding cab for my style, but I took it out to one gig which happened to be up a flight of stairs and immediately turned around and sold it. The sound didn't outweigh the back pain so the Markbass stuck around.

Somewhere in here I got my store hooked up with Aguilar-this story is out of order, but there is years to cover and a lot of gear changes, so it all gets muddled. Forgive me.

Anyways, after playing through their cabs I was 100% sold. These things aren't light, so I went for two single 12s I could stack. I can make two trips with the cabs and each weighs about 50 lbs so it's not that bad this way. Plus I can take one to small gigs or practice and both to bigger gigs which is a plus.
So I sold the Markbass cab and couldn't be happier.

So that's been my rig for a while now-the old power amp, two Aguilar cabs and an Aguilar pre.

But I had issues. This is the best sounding rig I've ever had, but the power amp is a money pit. Every other month there's something new wrong with it and a couple months ago I had to finally admit defeat and sell it. It was tough to let go, but I honestly just don't have the cash to keep it running. It's a pretty rare piece, but it sold to a loving home-a guy in Ontario who already had one and uses it for his schools pa for productions. It's just underpowered and he always had to supplement it, so now he bought another and was good to go. This made letting it go a bit easier.

By this point I'm an Aguilar fanboy. I bought a set if pickups for my bass (awesome), use their pedals (awesome) and their cabs (awesome). I've played the head a bunch and really like it, but I had sworn off small heads so I was torn. But-the heads are American made, which is a plus as far as service goes, I've seen photos of the innards and it looks more accessible, and I've built up a really good relationship with the guys at Aguilar. All of this made me feel okay about taking the risk on another small head.

And that brings us up to now! Sorry if that was long winded and/or jumbled. I've been writing this on my phone slowly in pieces over the last couple hours so it may not be cohesive but editing on the phone is frustrating.

So I had a gig last night - photo below which I took because our stage was comically small.

The head is fantastic. It's way darker than if thought it was going to be. No problem there, it just took a few songs to dial it in. This isn't really a sound check kind of bar, just a plug in and go place so I set the amp where I normally would and it sounded kinda cardboardy. Once I got it locked in it sounded fantastic.

To be perfectly honest, I will hopefully get rid of it in a couple years. What I really want is an Aguilar DB751, but it's a couple grand and really not in the cards right now. It's my all time favourite amp, but if I had to settle on something that isn't that, I think the TH500 will keep me happy!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Unread 08-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #11
Administrator

Great read man, and that stack looks classy on that stage.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 08-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
I'd definitely love to read the rest.

I'm starting to burn out on the GK Backline 600 running into a Peavey 1820 setup at my church. I don't know exactly what it is, but it sounds a little off to me. It almost feels like it's lacking in lows without making up for it in mids. Something about it just feels a little hollow...

So in turn that was partially my question about the Markbass stuff...I don't know if I'll have the coin for MB, but I'm definitely thinking about a low-cost 2x10" tilt-back option like the old Carvin R600.
Are you using the bass rig as the sound or are you using it as a monitor and going DI to house sound for bass - maybe both?
birry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by birry

Are you using the bass rig as the sound or are you using it as a monitor and going DI to house sound for bass - maybe both?
I supply 100% of the bass to the room. We've tried plugging it into the sound board before, through the amp's DI, but because of some electrical issues, it didn't work. Plus, the bass is on the same side of the room as the sound board so I don't know if the sound man would actually mix any bass into the board feed anyway.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 08-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #14

Quote:
I supply 100% of the bass to the room. We've tried plugging it into the sound board before, through the amp's DI, but because of some electrical issues, it didn't work. Plus, the bass is on the same side of the room as the sound board so I don't know if the sound man would actually mix any bass into the board feed anyway.
I actually use a direct box so I don't have to use my onboard DI. I had a head for a while that the DI didn't work that great, so we just did the box and split one to the board and one to the head.

Man, if you're trying to fill a medium sized room with bass for worship, I'd imagine you might need a couple 15's to move the air, and probably 500W at least to do it. Maybe I'm just headroom happy...
birry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #15
I'm on a horse.

Quote:
WIth the long-hall shape of your church, I don't think you have much in the way of directionality issues either.

Of course, I thought there could have been more bass in the mix, too, but that's just me.