Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #16
...more machine than man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_be_released View Post
What pedals (and pedal power supply) are you using, if any?
I rarely use pedals in the house anymore. Even at church I only use maybe a BDAB or maybe my zoom multistomp.

Of course, in my current house the power hasn't been a problem. In the last two houses we lived in though having even a single CFL on in any socket in any room lead to horrible noise. The only solution was turning the lights off. I don't know what the difference is between those houses and this one, but the house wiring definitely had an effect.

Add me on FaceBook

S.B.Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-15-2013, 04:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Nichols View Post
I rarely use pedals in the house anymore. Even at church I only use maybe a BDAB or maybe my zoom multistomp.

Of course, in my current house the power hasn't been a problem. In the last two houses we lived in though having even a single CFL on in any socket in any room lead to horrible noise. The only solution was turning the lights off. I don't know what the difference is between those houses and this one, but the house wiring definitely had an effect.
Whatever outlet you plugged your amp into may have been on the same circuit as the cfl, even if it was on the other side of the house. I'm an electrician and its pretty normal, especially in older houses.

Dimmers can also cause a lot of noise. If there's a dimmer in the room, turn it off and see if it helps
Unread 08-17-2013, 05:33 AM   #18
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatdirt View Post

Dimmers can also cause a lot of noise. If there's a dimmer in the room, turn it off and see if it helps
bad dimmers on the circuit can add a lot of noise even if the dimmer is off. Or at least they did in my house, just FWIW. I assume they were bad because they made any amp buzz like a hive of angry bees even if I was using a dead quiet guitar into a low noise floor amp. I swapped out the dimmers for switches in the house and things got much better. We also had several issues with the electrical installs in this house so I am assuming there may have been some substandard work or parts contributing towards this.

I have no idea if an off dimmer should make noise. ieatdirt, should it be capable of that? I know mine did, but for all I know that was a symptom of a failing part.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 03:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
bad dimmers on the circuit can add a lot of noise even if the dimmer is off. Or at least they did in my house, just FWIW. I assume they were bad because they made any amp buzz like a hive of angry bees even if I was using a dead quiet guitar into a low noise floor amp. I swapped out the dimmers for switches in the house and things got much better. We also had several issues with the electrical installs in this house so I am assuming there may have been some substandard work or parts contributing towards this.

I have no idea if an off dimmer should make noise. ieatdirt, should it be capable of that? I know mine did, but for all I know that was a symptom of a failing part.
I think it depends on the type of dimmer. We only really use the more expensive ones because cheaper ones can be problematic. If the dimmer is on that turns the light off but doesn't 100% stop the flow of voltage, it would definitely cause the problem.

On the other hand, stuff like that doesn't always work the same way. You could have a good dimmer that's installed properly and turned off, and it would still cause hum. Generally though, turning them off fixes the problem