Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Automotive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-26-2013, 12:20 AM   #16
Overlord of Kentls

Quote:
Motorcycle insurance is cheaper than car insurance as a general rule. My old street bike was less than my ancient truck.
Yep, showed my parents and they where saying it would be more

made saense to me at the time, makes me feel better, really thinking of getting this, not now, but as my first car.

Quote:
Probably. Theoretically it would also require a helmet in some states. The odds of a cop knowing this and pulling you over seem really low, though. It's not like you'd be going very fast, haha.
It can reach 100 mph how fasst is fast for you?
I wonder... is it possible that you may have to abide by TWO sets or rules, I.E one state has it where a "car" is something that fits this, but so is a motorcycle so its klnda both...

Originally Posted by scared2mosh View Post
I honestly would have guessed the actual Kentl was mulletman and vice versa...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnstein View Post
Apparently, he gave you persistence by the truckload.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFK14 View Post
Ok, the fact you spelled that right proves it.
Kentl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-26-2013, 12:34 AM   #17
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
A top speed of 100 mph isn't particularly fast. Is it fast enough for 99% of the population? Sure...

The other thing is that the engine in this thing is pretty small (70 HP 3-stroke)...so while it'll top at 100 mph, my guess is that you start seeing pretty dramatic mpg losses once you're outside of their ideal power range.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 12:36 AM   #18
Overlord of Kentls

Since I know nothing of cars etc, will three wheels make a big difference? sharper\harder turns, more\less control

eill it be vastly different form a four wheel?
Originally Posted by scared2mosh View Post
I honestly would have guessed the actual Kentl was mulletman and vice versa...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnstein View Post
Apparently, he gave you persistence by the truckload.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFK14 View Post
Ok, the fact you spelled that right proves it.
Kentl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 12:46 AM   #19
Mr. Kvorkomiskinovichlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletman
There was also an interesting payment plan in which they give you the car for free, then issue you a credit card that triples the price of gas and puts the extra toward your car payment. So it would be like getting a free car that gets 28 mpg, roughly.
What happens if you simply don't use that credit card?
Frank1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 01:05 AM   #20
recovering user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentl View Post
It can reach 100 mph how fasst is fast for you?
I wonder... is it possible that you may have to abide by TWO sets or rules, I.E one state has it where a "car" is something that fits this, but so is a motorcycle so its klnda both...
"Fast" is always relative. For me, over 150 is what I would call "fast."

I'd imagine you would have to abide by the most restrictive of the possible rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
A top speed of 100 mph isn't particularly fast. Is it fast enough for 99% of the population? Sure...

The other thing is that the engine in this thing is pretty small (70 HP 3-stroke)...so while it'll top at 100 mph, my guess is that you start seeing pretty dramatic mpg losses once you're outside of their ideal power range.
I would imagine so. You'd need good driving habits to yield maximum economy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentl View Post
Since I know nothing of cars etc, will three wheels make a big difference? sharper\harder turns, more\less control

eill it be vastly different form a four wheel?
Not really a big difference, honestly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank1234 View Post
What happens if you simply don't use that credit card?
I would bet that the "fine print" would make your life suck more.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #21
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
Not really a big difference, honestly.
Unless the wheels leaned, like on a bike, it should respond to cornering exactly like a car does.

Personally, if there were a way to hook up some kind of light trailer hitch, for towing something like a... I dunno... 400lb motorcycle, then I would be interested.

*edit*

Can you put a Hayabusa motor in it? :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #22
This Mortal Frame..

By the way, for anyone interested in following the development and release of this car there are some great forums (besides the Facebook page) to keep up with news out of the Elio Motors camp.

One I just joined is Elioclub.org. But there are quite a few other enthusiast pages out there. This is just the one I found that I liked the feel of.

One thing you can find on that site is pictures of the new IAV motor going into the car. Its a nice looking power plant. Cant wait to see all the performance numbers on it.

Quote:
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Unread 08-18-2013, 11:37 PM   #23

I've driven worse...
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #24
This Mortal Frame..

Reasons to get the car are increasing every day. A blogger wrote that the Elio was a "Ridiculous Virginity Shield".

As a single guy always on the look out for ways to remain chaste until marriage, this is just one more thing to add to the list of positive attributes which this car possesses. Finally Ill have another weapon in my arsenal against unwanted advances by the opposite sex. W00t!

In all seriousness though, I could see myself driving this car. I commute exclusively on my bike. It has exactly the amount of storage (none) and payload capacity (very little) that I need to get by in my day to day life, and most things I need to buy and take home I can carry on my bike using various improvised methods to secure an unwieldy object to my bike. So, when I say that I see this as practical I say that from the perspective of someone who doesn't even own a car anymore. From a safety perspective, this has all of the same downsides that a small car would have in a battle against a large vehicle. In your typical commuter car if you are t-boned on the driver door by any vehicle going a substantial speed you are going to have some serious problems. This car is really no different.

Quote:
Unread 08-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #25

Anybody else think of one of these right away? I know there's some differences, but looks pretty similar to me.
jthomas1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #26
This Mortal Frame..

The main thing to keep in mind is that the Spyder is essentially a ZX10r with a detuned motor and extra front wheel. That is, its got a 1000cc I4 motor from a sport bike. Its actually a motorcycle with an extra wheel, and its performance and fuel economy reflect that.

Quote:
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #27
This Mortal Frame..

http://www.change.org/petitions/step...-creating-jobs

This is a thing going on right now.

Apparently Caddo Parish has already approved the purchase of the GM plant to be used by Elio Motors for the production of the Elio. However, Stephanie Lynch, the lone desenting voter against the purchase is filing a lawsuit to attempt to block the purchase.

Basically, if this plant cant be purchased, then all time lines that Elio Motors has been working towards will have to go right out the window as they search for a new plant to operate out of. Which would be a big blow for the company, but also for Caddo Parish, which will get 1500 jobs out of this deal, which will inject millions of dollars into the local economy over the life of the company.

If you feel like signing the petition, that would be cool.

Thanks.

Quote:
Unread 09-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas1600 View Post
Anybody else think of one of these right away? I know there's some differences, but looks pretty similar to me.
I saw some of those when I was on vacation--looked like fun, and no need to worry about falling over (You might not worry about falling over on two wheels, but I would)