Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Sports & Outdoors
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-27-2016, 08:38 AM   #106
charis humin kai eirene

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post
I have always wanted a bike. At this point in my life I suspect that I will never own one.
Probably a good call to pass on a bike much past 30 years old, especially when spouse and kids enter the equation. However, if you are a reasonably good skier or surfer or skateboarder (or such) and a pretty good car driver, riding a motorcycle is not unthinkable. But you would need a reason more than mid-life crisis ore boredom (I've heard those reasons a lot), because bikes can be expensive, proper maintenance and riding gear and tools add up! And motorcycles are dangerous, mostly because of other drivers. It's amazing how blind car drivers are to motorcycles ... even with running lights, chrome or flashy clothes, and near-paranoic attention paid to surrounding cars, they manage to cut you off or turn into your path.

It's late, I can't tell if I am encouraging you or discouraging you.

Ya gotta think Arlo Guthrie ...

I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride on my motor-sickle ... (Test: anyone know the rest by heart? I do!)

cj

charisjapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-27-2016, 09:42 AM   #107
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by charisjapan View Post
Probably a good call to pass on a bike much past 30 years old, especially when spouse and kids enter the equation. However, if you are a reasonably good skier or surfer or skateboarder (or such) and a pretty good car driver, riding a motorcycle is not unthinkable. But you would need a reason more than mid-life crisis ore boredom (I've heard those reasons a lot), because bikes can be expensive, proper maintenance and riding gear and tools add up! And motorcycles are dangerous, mostly because of other drivers. It's amazing how blind car drivers are to motorcycles ... even with running lights, chrome or flashy clothes, and near-paranoic attention paid to surrounding cars, they manage to cut you off or turn into your path.

It's late, I can't tell if I am encouraging you or discouraging you.

Ya gotta think Arlo Guthrie ...

I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride on my motor-sickle ... (Test: anyone know the rest by heart? I do!)

cj
For me, it's just not financially feasible. By the time my youngest graduates from high school I will be 53. I will still be paying off student loans. Yeah, unless I win the lottery I can't see me having the money.
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2016, 10:00 AM   #108
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Quote:

For me, it's just not financially feasible. By the time my youngest graduates from high school I will be 53. I will still be paying off student loans. Yeah, unless I win the lottery I can't see me having the money.
Sell the car and the house. You guys could live in a tent!

Your motorcycle could have a sidecar too, which would be cool.

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2016, 10:46 AM   #109
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Thrunk View Post
Sell the car and the house. You guys could live in a tent!

Your motorcycle could have a sidecar too, which would be cool.
I don't own a house. I might get $200 for my car. I could always get a yurt.
Unread 09-27-2016, 11:31 AM   #110
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Because of this thread I have been looking at local Triumphs for sale, lol.

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2016, 12:58 PM   #111
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

Since my last post I have had two stories come across my newsfeed concerning motorcycle fatalities. One was about a 17 year old and a 20 year old motorcycle racer who died after crashing. The other was a 55 year old lawyer who got hit by a car while riding and died.
Unread 09-27-2016, 07:46 PM   #112
charis humin kai eirene

paid
Quote:
... been there, done that. You may want to wait a bit for the two-wheeling life!

My younger daughter graduated from our home school/church school when I was 50, and we barely had two 5-yen coins to rub together, except the kid's college fund, which was not near enough for the two of them. God's grace and gifted/focused/hard-working kids got us several scholarships, tuition waivers and even a grant or two (hint: just smart doesn't get these things), so after both daughters graduated we were education-debt-free.

But while I have paid for every bike I've owned, the Harley was a long-term "investment." They are one of the few bikes that actually retain a lot of their value over the years, so when a 10-year/ interest-free loan was offered, I could get this bike. Five years left ...

Yeah, biking is not an inexpensive hobby.

cj
Unread 09-28-2016, 06:54 AM   #113
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

Quote:
... been there, done that. You may want to wait a bit for the two-wheeling life!

My younger daughter graduated from our home school/church school when I was 50, and we barely had two 5-yen coins to rub together, except the kid's college fund, which was not near enough for the two of them. God's grace and gifted/focused/hard-working kids got us several scholarships, tuition waivers and even a grant or two (hint: just smart doesn't get these things), so after both daughters graduated we were education-debt-free.

But while I have paid for every bike I've owned, the Harley was a long-term "investment." They are one of the few bikes that actually retain a lot of their value over the years, so when a 10-year/ interest-free loan was offered, I could get this bike. Five years left ...

Yeah, biking is not an inexpensive hobby.

cj
I'd rather have a muscle car.

Unread 09-28-2016, 06:58 AM   #114
charis humin kai eirene

paid
Quote:
I'd rather have a muscle car.

Hehe! You think so ... but don't know what you're missing!

cj
Unread 09-28-2016, 07:03 AM   #115
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

Quote:
Hehe! You think so ... but don't know what you're missing!

cj
I've been on bikes. I like them a lot.

However, a 1970 Olds 442 is just a monster.

Unread 09-28-2016, 08:26 AM   #116
charis humin kai eirene

paid
Quote:
I've been on bikes. I like them a lot.

However, a 1970 Olds 442 is just a monster.

Never driven a 442. My personal experience in the 70s was a buddy's heavily modded '69 Challenger. Very, very quick and fast. Also a few assorted ... 'Cuda, Vettes, Chevelle, and even my grandmother's (no kidding) 400hp Falcon Police Package. My Granpap was a sheriff in Northern California, and gave me that car, but I was living in Japan so only got to drive a few times. On the way to pick me up, my Grammy got timed at 121mph ... but got off with a warning. She was quite a woman!

I still prefer bikes, but admit that I've slowed down in both cars and bikes lately.

Side boast, er, note: I was able to get pic sitting in Dom's Charger a few months ago, as well as all the hero and bad guy cars from F&F8. My daughter is an assistant director.

cj
Unread 10-03-2016, 08:50 AM   #117
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

I know that there are certain bikes that are super desirable but honestly, if I could have any one bike right now it would be this one. My uncle Neil (who passed away five years ago) had one when I was a kid I always thought it was the coolest looking bike I had ever seen.
Attached Thumbnails
honda.jpg  
Unread 10-03-2016, 09:26 AM   #118
charis humin kai eirene

paid
Quote:
I know that there are certain bikes that are super desirable but honestly, if I could have any one bike right now it would be this one. My uncle Neil (who passed away five years ago) had one when I was a kid I always thought it was the coolest looking bike I had ever seen.
That look like a CB-750 K6 ? Mine was a K2, the main difference was the exhaust system was pretty restrictive from the K3. The first Japanese multis were awesome! Yeah, the later ones were more refined, and faster, but I can still remember the sound and vibration of that bike to this day. The only other bike that had that kind of visceral aura was the Kawasaki Mach III two-stroke triple. If you have ever ridden one all-out, you will never forget it. (especially if you lived through 180kph steering oscillations!)

cj
Unread 10-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #119
Hipper Than Thou
Administrator

Quote:
That look like a CB-750 K6 ? Mine was a K2, the main difference was the exhaust system was pretty restrictive from the K3. The first Japanese multis were awesome! Yeah, the later ones were more refined, and faster, but I can still remember the sound and vibration of that bike to this day. The only other bike that had that kind of visceral aura was the Kawasaki Mach III two-stroke triple. If you have ever ridden one all-out, you will never forget it. (especially if you lived through 180kph steering oscillations!)

cj
I know it's a CB-750 but can't tell you anything else about it. Obviously, this isn't the one he owned. I just remembered the bike.

Tags
bear, james dean, motorcycle, pizza, road rash