Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Sports & Outdoors
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #31
recovering user

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2-Fast Player View Post
Thanks much! I appreciate the info.

I'm looking for a weekend toy, not regular transportation, so in-town, in-traffic riding will be minimal, though there will be some. It won't be a track bike, though. Just something to take out onto some winding rural routes on a Saturday, and to trailer up to the mountains a couple of times a year so I can commit high-speed traffic felonies on the Cherohala Speedway, er, I mean "Skyway" of course.

I'm trying to arrange demo rides, so I'll have a better idea after I've ridden them. There seem to be some options for making the Duc a little more comfortable. Swapping the clip-ons (swap left & right) raises the bars ~3/4 inch, and going to a SpeedyMoto triple clamp will get another 3/4. With a different link, the rear can be lowered about an inch. I'm 5'3", so getting the seat down a bit will be critical. If I can get the seat down and inch and the bars up 1 to 1.5 inches, I think it'll be okay.

The Daytona is a bit harder and pricier to modify, though it can be done.

At my height, and with my short legs, I like a narrow bike. In-line fours make me feel bowlegged.

I've read a little about the gas tank problem. Apparently there was a class action lawsuit which Duc settled. They've been replacing tanks that show a problem, regardless of warranty, but it's not clear that the replacement tanks are any better yet.

I've considered the Streetfighter and the Street Triple, but I really don't care much for modern naked bikes. (Now older bikes, especially cafe racers (Triton? YEAH!), are a different story!)

I've always liked Ducs, so I'm leaning that way. I sure wish Ducati still made sport touring bikes, though. Something like their old ST2 would be terrific.
If you lower the rear via suspension and leave the front alone, you'll completely change the steering geometry and KILL the turn-in ability. The Duc is already kind of heavy steering, as they emphasize mid-corner stability more. If you drop the rear, drop the front an equal or slightly greater amount by raising the forks in the triples. Bolt your clip-ons to the top of the now-exposed fork tube, and you've also made your riding position more comfortable.

Beware, though. The upper fairing of the 848 doesn't allow for much clearance vertically when at full left/right travel.

Have you considered something like an SV1000?

Do yourself a favor and ride a naked before you buy. Even if you think you'll hate it.

mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-31-2013, 07:55 PM   #32
Semper ubi sub ubi!

Nah, hadn't really thought about the SV1000. Besides the Duc and the Daytona, the only other bike I've considered is the MV Agusta F3. Unfortunately, there's not a MV Agusta dealer anywhere nearby, and I've seen Agusta dealers come and go quickly. Getting parts and service would be very tough.

I'm sure a naked bike would be more comfortable, and also fun to ride. But at my age, I have too few years left to spend them dancing with anything but a beautiful lady. The only naked bikes that have any real appeal to me are Monsters, so maybe I'll consider one, but they're not my first love by any means.

I wonder how much help I'd get by adjusting the rear suspension on the 848. I'm 5'3" and about 160. Maybe I should just get taller riding boots.......

Sitting on the 848, I'm on my toes. With my old Ninja, I had the balls of my feet down, but couldn't flat-foot, and that was fine. On tip-toe, I don't think I can back the bike up, and stopping on uneven pavement would likely be a problem. With the balls of my feet down, I could back up my Ninja without a problem on level ground. If I had to back uphill (pretty unusual) I just got off and pushed it.

1/2
1/2-Fast Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #33
Semper ubi sub ubi!

Rode the duc today. 848 Evo Corse. Height was no problem; with the rear pre-load a little softer I could get the balls of my feet down. I'll have to do something to raise the bars if I buy it, though.

The touchy throttle is difficult, though, and I stalled a few times trying to pull away before I learned to keep constant throttle and control speed with the clutch. A G2 Throttle Tamer might help.

I'm still thinking. Want to look at a Daytona.

1/2
Unread 11-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #34
Semper ubi sub ubi!

Looked over a Daytona today, but couldn't do a test ride due to rain. Nice bike, though, and I'm impressed. I'll go back next week for a ride.

1/2
Unread 11-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #35
Semper ubi sub ubi!

Did the test ride on the Daytona this morning. Fell in love, bought the bike. Wonderful ride, very smooth throttle response, tons of power, faster than any mortal needs. Wheeeeee!!!!

And besides, I'm overdue for a midlife crisis.

The shop was doing their prep this afternoon, as well as installing frame sliders for me. She'll be delivered tomorrow. Can't wait!

1/2
Unread 11-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #36
recovering user

Congrats!
Unread 11-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #37
Semper ubi sub ubi!

Got her this morning. I've taken her out for a couple of short rides on some rural roads around here. Familiarization for me, shakedown for the bike. So far she's sweet! Not difficult to ride, but lots of power. Restraining myself through the break-in is going to be tough.

My only complaint is that the LCD dash is almost impossible to read in daylight. Otherwise, I think I'll really like the bike once my back and kidneys get adjusted. I'm considering having one kidney removed to make the process quicker....

Pic attached. Sadly, the umbrella girls weren't included as accessories.
Attached Thumbnails
ed_daytona_2_lores.jpg  

1/2
Unread 12-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #38
Semper ubi sub ubi!

What, is nobody riding? Where are all the bike people?

Finished off the break-in mileage on the Daytona yesterday. 1,000 miles since Thanksgiving week. I've softened the suspension pre-load a bit; might still take it down another turn in the rear. Man, this thing is total E-ticket ride (for those of you old enough to know what that means).

Only problem is a minor coolant leak. It's a common problem on this bike, and there's a service bulletin out to correct it. I'm taking it to the dealer the day after Christmas. I'm also going to have them install an adjustable clutch lever and heavier bar ends (want to damp out the buzz in the bars).

So what are the rest of you doing? Who's riding? What and where?

1/2
Unread 12-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #39
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
I haven't been riding. My bike has been down for a bit. Suddenly the headlight went out and i have yet to correct the problem or investigate it...

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #40

I got in a little riding before the rough weather set in. Been too cold and wet since.
ash Telecaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #41
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Took a break for rough weather? lol. Ive been riding constantly since last October. Im averaging about 1100 miles a month (except this month, December is going to be pretty light).

That number is going to go way up once school starts up again as I have classes at campuses in multiple cities, and in different parts of those cities. It might be possible for me to rack up 500 miles a week over the course of the spring semester. Looking forward to it.

Probably before the semester starts Ill try and get some major maintenance items done, like valve clearance adjustment, air filter replaced, etc. I may put an exhaust on it this year. I already know what Im wanting to put on it, Im just not wanting to spend money on it until I know I have the money to spend.

Also, my odometer just rolled over 30k miles. My baby is growing up so fast, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #42
Semper ubi sub ubi!

I put 32k miles on my Ninja before it got swiped. Occasional valve adjustments was about all it ever needed, besides the usual oil and tires. I replaced the chain around 27k miles, but it was shot and I should have done it earlier.

I have a buddy who's put over 70,000 on his Aprilia Futura. I'm sure he'll break the 100k mark in a couple of years. He just bought an FJR, though, and it's getting the most use right now.

Usually this is the perfect time of year to ride around here, but it's actually uncomfortably hot right now! 85F yesterday and today. I took a short ride on the Daytona this afternoon to do a little Christmas shopping and stoplights were starting to cook me.

Oh the weather outside is frightful,
But A/C is so delightful!
The temp's turned way down low,
Let it blow, let it blow, let it blow!

BTW - did Almost Enough ever get his bike? Nosy minds want to know...

1/2
Unread 12-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #43
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
I've only ridden once in the past month. Been too cold or I've been too busy.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #44
Semper ubi sub ubi!

Just ride south, Dave. It'll get warmer as you go.

1/2
Unread 12-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #45
recovering user

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2-Fast Player View Post
What, is nobody riding? Where are all the bike people?

Finished off the break-in mileage on the Daytona yesterday. 1,000 miles since Thanksgiving week. I've softened the suspension pre-load a bit; might still take it down another turn in the rear. Man, this thing is total E-ticket ride (for those of you old enough to know what that means).

Only problem is a minor coolant leak. It's a common problem on this bike, and there's a service bulletin out to correct it. I'm taking it to the dealer the day after Christmas. I'm also going to have them install an adjustable clutch lever and heavier bar ends (want to damp out the buzz in the bars).

So what are the rest of you doing? Who's riding? What and where?
Congrats again! If I had the resources to buy a new bike, a D675R would be on the short list. I went and looked at the Ducati 899 recently. I wasn't super impressed, just by sitting on it.

I'm not riding, as no-one does track days in the winter. I am prepping my stuff, however.

I just ordered a non-smashed fuel tank to replace the one that I re-shaped so nicely in my last get-off. A one-piece is next on the list, followed by new boots, new plastics, a quick-shifter, and a suspension rebuild both front and rear.

Not all of that will likely happen, but we'll see how far I get until I run out of money. I tried buying last year's model of boots when they were on close-out, but my size was the one that was out of stock the fastest.

This is the one-piece that I'm planning on ordering. Their Japanese sizing makes skinny-guy sizes possible.

RS Taichi GP-WRX R303 Leather Suit Black from SportbikeTrackGear.com

It comes with a pair of gloves for free. Good gloves, too. The last pair of RS-Taichi gloves that I had took a rather quick slide down the track, and I was pushing down with my palms the whole way. I was pleasantly surprised there was no burn-through, and no seam failures of any kind. The pinky finger on the right side did have a slight rip, but only through the first layer of leather.

I'm also day-dreaming about buying another streetbike. I'd love the new little KTM RC390, but an SV650 or even a Ninja 250 might be more realistic. (If "realistic" is even close...)

Tags
bear, james dean, motorcycle, pizza, road rash