LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #16
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Enough View Post
I'll check that site out.

I'm an in-person shopper, though, so I'm going to check the local CycleGear and other shops as well. My budget is low because I need to get my wife a helmet and jacket as well, as she'll probably hop on the back from time to time.
Just a word of warning: if she is like my wife, she may be a little freaked when she first gets on. I am assuming she has never ridden before?

Also, if you haven't carried someone before, be mindful of the difference the weight makes. Turns are different, stopping is different, and balance is different all around.

Oh, and get used to her helmet bumping the back of yours

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #17
by hope we steer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash View Post
Nice! How much is it going for?

He wants $1000 for it. Carbs redone by a service center, good tires, registered till next year. Cosmetic issues are the main downfall, it has a taped seat and some pitted chrome. I haven't seen much better of a deal in my area for a bike that size that's registered.

I'm stoked because I'll get to ride it home, which is about a 200 mile drive. I figure I'll get a lot of experience in on it on the way home. Don't worry, much of the drive is on I5, so It shouldn't be a tough ride.

Quote:
Just a word of warning: if she is like my wife, she may be a little freaked when she first gets on. I am assuming she has never ridden before?

Also, if you haven't carried someone before, be mindful of the difference the weight makes. Turns are different, stopping is different, and balance is different all around.

Oh, and get used to her helmet bumping the back of yours
She has ridden on the back of my scooter a bit, but that's quite a bit different. I'm definitely going to cruise town for a bit with her on the back before we do any serious rides.
Almost Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #18
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Quote:
He wants $1000 for it. Carbs redone by a service center, good tires, registered till next year. Cosmetic issues are the main downfall, it has a taped seat and some pitted chrome. I haven't seen much better of a deal in my area for a bike that size that's registered.
Sounds like a pretty good deal if it is in decent shape. How many miles? Cosmetics can be fixed. My bike has some pitting, but you can get things rechromed if it bothers you too much, or find a used part somewhere that isn't pitted. Check the forks and see how pitted they are though. Mine are pretty bad, and it totally wears down my seals, so I have to get them replaced a little too often than I would like. Oh, and you can probably find a seat cover online. Try ebay.

Quote:
She has ridden on the back of my scooter a bit, but that's quite a bit different. I'm definitely going to cruise town for a bit with her on the back before we do any serious rides.
Man, a few months ago Alyssa (my wife) and I were going to see my dad who lives about fifteen minutes away. He has a long, steep driveway that is really rocky. I turned in and panicked and we fell over. You would probably be fine because you are sort of tall (I think... I saw some pics of you on your old blog), but I wasn't ready for it! Practice in various situations and types of roads is always extremely helpful, because you have to change how you drive depending on the type of road you are on. But, I guess you know all of that since you are already drive a two-wheeled vehicle.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Unread 07-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #19
by hope we steer

Definitely. I also took the Motorcycle Training School or whatever it's called. I highly recommend it for anybody that didn't grow up riding.

I'm not worried about cosmetics so much. Again, down the road I may strip the luxuries and build myself a cafe racer out of it. I will check those forks, though. The dude I'm buying it from has been riding for years and seems like a stand up guy, so he'll probably give me some info if I need it. I'm not afraid to ask, either.
Unread 07-25-2013, 11:51 PM   #20
recovering user

Motorcycle purchases and the mention of Cafe projects. I like where this thread is going.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #21
by hope we steer

So I went into CycleGear here in town and they had a pretty good sale going on with Bilt jackets. I got a racer mesh jacket with armor and removable insulation on the inside for $107 out the door. Can't beat that.

Fingers crossed I'll be posting a HNMD in here Sunday evening.
Unread 10-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #22
Semper ubi sub ubi!

I'm temporarily confined to cages. My Ninja (see pic) was stolen a couple of months ago. I just got the (too low) settlement from State Farm and now I'm starting to look around for a new bike. My two leading contenders are a Triumph Daytona 675 and a Ducati 848.

Anyone experienced with Ducs or Daytonas? Advice? Stuff to watch out for?
Attached Images

1/2
1/2-Fast Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 11:42 PM   #23
recovering user

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2-Fast Player View Post
I'm temporarily confined to cages. My Ninja (see pic) was stolen a couple of months ago. I just got the (too low) settlement from State Farm and now I'm starting to look around for a new bike. My two leading contenders are a Triumph Daytona 675 and a Ducati 848.

Anyone experienced with Ducs or Daytonas? Advice? Stuff to watch out for?
I test rode a Duc 848 one time. Outstanding engine... the torque it makes is addicting. It vibrates quite a bit compared to an inline if you're not used to it. The mirrors are useless. I felt uncomfortable at low speeds. It seems the suspension is over-sprung in the rear by quite a bit, although I am quite light.

Not a comfortable ride, but if you're on a wide and curvy surface, there aren't many better machines to be riding. One note... the plastic fuel tanks Ducati and Aprilia have been using have sometimes had an issue reacting with the ethanol-mixed gasoline we have in this country. The plastic kind of deteriorates and starts to deform. I know they had issues early on, but I don't know if the problem has found a fix yet. Just a heads-up.

One of them is likely the D675. I absolutely LOVE how narrow those things are. This goes for the Duc too, but the 848 feels rather long and bulky compared to the Triumph. Super race-oriented ergonomics. If you can deal with it, fine.

In summary....

Ducati 848

+ Awesome motor.
+ Looks killer.
+ Sounds like angels from Heaven.
+ A great bike to ride hard.

- Riding in the city isn't so much like a "fish out of water" as it is the fish being in outer space.
- It vibrates, and the instrument cluster isn't good for much at all.
- The suspension is set up pretty poorly from the factory, unless you're 220+. In which case the front end is probably too soft.
- Parts are expensive, and timing belts suck.

Triumph 675

+ A more nimble bike you will not find.
+ Cheaper by a fair bit, especially used.
+ D675R throws in some awesome goodies for not too much more money.
+ Like a normal 600, but with more mid-range grunt and it feels more compact.

- It's a bit of a torture rack, unless your normal riding position looks like Nicky Hayden.
- It's a Triumph. I once saw a write-up involving the bike burning to the ground.

At the end of the day, both of these bikes are awesome. Both are from brands that sometimes have been known for reliability issues. Both are also absolutely HORRIBLE street bikes. If you'll be on a track, they'll be great. Otherwise I'd suggest you take a good hard look at the Streetfighter 848, or Street Triple or Speed Triple.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #24
Semper ubi sub ubi!

Thanks much! I appreciate the info.

I'm looking for a weekend toy, not regular transportation, so in-town, in-traffic riding will be minimal, though there will be some. It won't be a track bike, though. Just something to take out onto some winding rural routes on a Saturday, and to trailer up to the mountains a couple of times a year so I can commit high-speed traffic felonies on the Cherohala Speedway, er, I mean "Skyway" of course.

I'm trying to arrange demo rides, so I'll have a better idea after I've ridden them. There seem to be some options for making the Duc a little more comfortable. Swapping the clip-ons (swap left & right) raises the bars ~3/4 inch, and going to a SpeedyMoto triple clamp will get another 3/4. With a different link, the rear can be lowered about an inch. I'm 5'3", so getting the seat down a bit will be critical. If I can get the seat down and inch and the bars up 1 to 1.5 inches, I think it'll be okay.

The Daytona is a bit harder and pricier to modify, though it can be done.

At my height, and with my short legs, I like a narrow bike. In-line fours make me feel bowlegged.

I've read a little about the gas tank problem. Apparently there was a class action lawsuit which Duc settled. They've been replacing tanks that show a problem, regardless of warranty, but it's not clear that the replacement tanks are any better yet.

I've considered the Streetfighter and the Street Triple, but I really don't care much for modern naked bikes. (Now older bikes, especially cafe racers (Triton? YEAH!), are a different story!)

I've always liked Ducs, so I'm leaning that way. I sure wish Ducati still made sport touring bikes, though. Something like their old ST2 would be terrific.

1/2
Unread 10-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #25
Semper ubi sub ubi!

Oh, and guess what - the cops just recovered my old bike. Actually, it's State Farm's bike now, since they've paid me and they have the title. The bike was abandoned in an orange grove not far from my house, and it was lying on its side for weeks. At least I got back the rainsuit and some other items that were stored on the bike.

No leads on who stole it.

1/2
Unread 10-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #26
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
They probably didn't actually know how to drive a motorcycle, got it that far, and just left it.

-groucho marx

Quote:
Unread 10-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #27
Semper ubi sub ubi!

Quote:
They probably didn't actually know how to drive a motorcycle, got it that far, and just left it.
Possibly they were pushing it and something spooked them, like a car coming down the road. It didn't appear they had hot-wired it yet.

1/2
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #28

I ride a fatboy with 16" apes...anybody else ride a Harley? I really want a sportbike, but probably not a good idea.
jwbrownlula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #29
Semper ubi sub ubi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbrownlula View Post
I really want a sportbike, but probably not a good idea.
Why would you say that? I think a sportbike is a wonderful idea!

1/2
Unread 10-31-2013, 06:55 AM   #30
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
I've still got my '09 Yamaha Tmax super-scooter; 500cc parallel-twin, fuel-injected, cvt twist-and-go tranny...

It's a fun ride and super-practical for commuting w/ underseat and front dash/fairing storage, but I've been considering selling it and trying out a "normal" motorcycle. For some odd reason I'm infatuated with getting a used Buell Blast...

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bear, james dean, motorcycle, pizza, road rash