Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Automotive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
This Mortal Frame..

Send a message via AIM to Demon_Hunter
Looking at used trucks. Need advice.

Cars for Sale: 2001 Ford F350 Crew Cab Lariat in Houston, TX 77074: Truck Details - 349340893 - AutoTrader.com

The truck in the link is indicative of the type of vehicle Im looking for, and in the same year range (98-03) and price range (7k - 11k).

If I went to the dealership to check out that truck, or a similar truck, what would I be looking for, or listening for, to indicate the truck might have serious mechanical flaws?

I already know that things like rattling in the steering wheel can be a sign of a lot of things going wrong (happened in my car, and literally a whole slew of things were working together to cause it), but besides something obvious like that what should I be on the look out for?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Demon_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
recovering user

Two thoughts.

That's a lot of miles. Most major moving parts are well worn by now.

Big trucks are lame.

mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
This Mortal Frame..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
Two thoughts.

That's a lot of miles. Most major moving parts are well worn by now.

Big trucks are lame.

Yeah, I went and saw it in person today and saw something that threw up a huge red flag. Its got a huge goose neck mount in the bed, which means this trucks miles were pulling loaded trailers. Meh. I've seen what that does to the trucks at work. Everything else looks and sounds nice. I have two other trucks I need to look at before I make a decision.

And yeah, I've wanted an F350 since before time began so if I can this truck or something similar id be pretty happy so long as I didn't run across major mechanical flaws.

Quote:
It's indisputable, though, that it has absolutely nothing to do with either copulation or defecation.
Unread 07-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #4

Actually at that price I wouldn't call that a lot of miles. Diesel trucks hold their value really well the engines run for ever. Also I wouldn't automatically write a truck like that off because it was used for towing...that's kind of what they are made for.

My only question for you or concern would be: Do you really need that much truck? Unless you're hauling or towing heavy stuff you're paying for a lot of truck you'll never use.
jthomas1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
This Mortal Frame..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas1600 View Post
Actually at that price I wouldn't call that a lot of miles. Diesel trucks hold their value really well the engines run for ever. Also I wouldn't automatically write a truck like that off because it was used for towing...that's kind of what they are made for.

My only question for you or concern would be: Do you really need that much truck? Unless you're hauling or towing heavy stuff you're paying for a lot of truck you'll never use.

In truth, I could do with a much smaller truck for what Im going to use this truck 70% of the time for.. Im probably never going to use this particular truck for what it was designed for. What got me even looking at this truck was cost of ownership. Basically, Im looking at trucks period, and in the year range and price range Ive set cost of ownership wont be significantly different if I get a smaller truck or a bigger truck.

By cost of ownership I mean the note and the insurance. Since it wont see nearly as much road time annually as it has in the past fuel cost and maintenance cost aren't really factors Im considering as I don't think that a vehicle that will see at most 600 to 800 miles a month on average will be very expensive on fuel or maintenance as I already save a ton of money by commuting on a very fuel efficient and low maintenance cost motorcycle.

So yeah, I suppose I could go with a smaller vehicle, but it wont make a significant difference in the money I spend. Im going to spend about the same amount on the note and insurance anyways. Mostly what this truck is going to be used for is a back up for my primary commuting vehicle, my motorcycle, and to haul my motorcycle to and from places I need it to go, that includes the occasional road trip where Ill want to take my bike with me. There are some situations I can see myself in where the towing capacity would be useful, but those would be rare occurrences compared to the duty this truck is going to be mainly used for.

Which then all brings me back to something in my previous post. All things being generally equal, I like the ford Superduty trucks, so if it came down to a choice between an F150 in good condition of one price, and an F350 in good condition of the same price Im already going to be biased towards the F350 for no greater reason than "just because". Which I know sounds shallow and vain.

*edit*

I cant believe that a week ago I started looking at replacements for my car and I started out looking at Rangers and Colorados, and somehow Ive worked myself up into saying "screw that, I need a one ton pickup!"...

What was that about tangled webs and weaving?

Quote:
Unread 07-24-2013, 12:59 AM   #6
recovering user

You could have just said "I am a Texan."

We would have understood.

mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote