Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-18-2013, 07:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgiven-Sinner View Post
That could work. I'd fix the Buzz & see if it's usable for your needs.
-
-
So what you're saying is save money on the cab so I could get an EB Music Man 5-string bass and nice tube/hybrid head

birry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #17

So I've been shopping around some, and so far the best amp for the tone I want is the Little Mark Tube 800. That thing KILLS! I think that's what I'm going to aim my funds at, probably along with an EB Music Man bass.

I'll eventually try to upgrade cabs, but between my Hartke and Acoustic 410 cabs, I'll have the volume covered - especially with the LM Tube 800. That thing is a beast.

So......about power output vs impedance....

How do you solve for the effective power output of the amp given the impedance? So my Acoustic B600H is 600W RMS @ 2ohm (I think). How do I solve for the power to the cab for 8ohm? I've forgotten everything from circuits (thankfully).
Unread 08-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #18
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
The B600H, IIRC was 600W @ 2 ohm, 450 @ 4 ohm and most people guessed around 300W @ 8 ohms.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
The B600H, IIRC was 600W @ 2 ohm, 450 @ 4 ohm and most people guessed around 300W @ 8 ohms.
Oh...so it can't be "solved for", necessarily....

I thought it was something like Ohm's law or something easy. Guess not. Either way, I now see why it never "seemed like" 600W. I think I read somewhere that Acoustic showed 275W @ 8ohm. That's disappointing, and probably why I'll go Markbass on my next wave of bass upgrades.

Little Mark Tube 800 to a Markbass 4x10 (4ohm) cab moves a lot of air. What a sound! That's my goal for sound, now. That setup with an EB Music Man 4 string with a maple neck. yeah, that's also about $3k worth of gear
Unread 08-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #20
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by birry View Post
Oh...so it can't be "solved for", necessarily....

I thought it was something like Ohm's law or something easy. Guess not. Either way, I now see why it never "seemed like" 600W. I think I read somewhere that Acoustic showed 275W @ 8ohm. That's disappointing, and probably why I'll go Markbass on my next wave of bass upgrades.

Little Mark Tube 800 to a Markbass 4x10 (4ohm) cab moves a lot of air. What a sound! That's my goal for sound, now. That setup with an EB Music Man 4 string with a maple neck. yeah, that's also about $3k worth of gear
Based on ohm's law it should actually be lower

600W @ 2
300W @ 4
150W @ 8

I'm not sure what is in the manual, but I recall reading somewhere that with the new power supply designs there has been some changes how certain amps handle different impedance settings.

I've always heard good stuff about the Markbass line. Right now I'm eyeing one of the older (Redline series) Carvin 2x10 combos to use at church. In my head an amp that will tilt back would be ideal for what I think I want for church. I played a Redline a few years ago doing a session for a friend of mine and the tone has just been stuck in my head as an ideal modern bass tone.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
Based on ohm's law it should actually be lower

600W @ 2
300W @ 4
150W @ 8

I'm not sure what is in the manual, but I recall reading somewhere that with the new power supply designs there has been some changes how certain amps handle different impedance settings.

I've always heard good stuff about the Markbass line. Right now I'm eyeing one of the older (Redline series) Carvin 2x10 combos to use at church. In my head an amp that will tilt back would be ideal for what I think I want for church. I played a Redline a few years ago doing a session for a friend of mine and the tone has just been stuck in my head as an ideal modern bass tone.
Markbass has so many configurations, its insane. I wasn't sold on them originally - they just seemed kinda gimmicky or something, but after watching a few videos of professional groups and I spot the bright yellow through the mist and lights, and also just playing them myself - I'm becoming a fan. Plus, its tough to beat how lightweight and compact their stuff is.

Honestly, these hybrid amps have really done it for me. I was convinced I needed to go full-tube, but with the TTE 800 (Randy Jackson) and now this LM Tube 800, I feel there is hope for the hybrid world. I might try to sell my entire Acoustic setup and put that toward my upgrades. I'll keep my old Hartke rig as a backup or practice setup.

I've heard a lot of good things about their combos as well. You might also look at the TC Electronics single 15 cab (I think its a BG250). That thing takes Markbass and raises it one - its light, great tone, and has some crazy tech features like wireless effects and various other really neat/quirky features. You might check those out if you get the chance.
Unread 08-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #22

Interesting Observation: I just got my Hartke 3500 amp back from repair (the preamp tube was actually ajar). That thing sounds soooo much better than the B600H. I'd forgotten how nice that amp sounded for the money.

Conclusion: I'm selling my Acoustic rig (its still basically brand new) and using the Hartke until I find a gig situation where it doesn't cut it, then I'll consider upgrading to the Markbass Tube 800 head or maybe the LM III. I can't decide. Later down the road, I'll try to spring for the Markbass 104 HR cab and an EB bass.

That hartke head has breathed new life into my old rig - Fender Jazz bass with Seymour Duncan hot stack/quarter pounder pickups, hartke head, hartke vx410 cab. It really doesn't sound too bad, haha.