Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Secular Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #1

One thing that has been bothering me recently about metal.

Hi guys.

First of all let me say I am typing from an iPad so please excuse any grammar or spelling errors.

Anyway, I am a huge metal head. I love metal, the way the guitars play with the drums and lyrics, it really does sound awesome to me like no other genre. I love it, but recently, it has been stressing me out. It seems like every band I try listening almost has at least one song that is talks bad about religion or god or something. The thing that has bothered me most recently is that I have been looking up like almost every bands religious views on the internet that comes up on pandora.

Now I know what everyone us going to say, obviously this being a christian guitar forum, everyone is going to say, "oh there is Christian metal bands" which I do like, for example August Burns Red, but I don't know, I just can't see myself JUST listening to Christian metal. It is not that I have lost my faith or anything, I love God, Jesus. and the Holy Spirit more then anything else, but it just sounds restricting is what I am trying to say.

My question is have any of you guys that love listening to metal ever felt like this? Also can you guys name me some bands that aren't really Christian Metal bands but also don't speak bad about religion? The only ones I have found so far are Parkway Drive, Killswitch Engaged, and maybe All that Remains.

Thank for any replies.

bw18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
Be happy

I don't listen to metal, but I do listen to an insanely wide variety of music. There's definitely a category of music I don't have a problem with, but would never play in church or with my pastor in the car. That's not really a problem for me... as long as I don't flaunt it in front of those who would be offended. But then there's other music that makes me pause. Some interesting hip-hop artists have very violent lyrics. Some interesting epic music composers or world music groups base songs on paganism. A lot of interesting reggae can be seen as espousing fighting fire with fire when it comes to racism. Some interesting pop groups sing love songs which are clearly about people of the same gender. A lot of good music over the years has been sexually explicit.

I don't think there's any formula for figuring it out. I know I would have a problem listening to a group that was explicitly anti-God in any song of theirs. I generally avoid violent lyrics, and artists that deal primarily in that sort of message. This does tend to close off vast swaths of many genres. I don't know what the answer is. There is clearly nothing wrong with any particular style of music, but some styles definitely tend to lend themselves more to anti-Christian sentiments.

I don't know if any of this helps, but it's definitely something I've thought about for a while.
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
Unregistered User

It can bother me if it is directed at God like mocking God or Jesus or something along those lines because I believe God is perfect and holy. Religion can have a darker side where the ones of the religion can be self righteous and unforgiving or religious leaders take advantage of an ignorant crowd. If the lyrics bash religion I don't enjoy it, but I accept that it's what they sadly see religion as and there may be truth in it ( definitely not saying all lyrics against religion are true, the band might just be stupid and anti-religious for no good reason.) Try betraying the martyrs they are "positive metal."
withoutusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw18 View Post
Hi guys.

First of all let me say I am typing from an iPad so please excuse any grammar or spelling errors.

Anyway, I am a huge metal head. I love metal, the way the guitars play with the drums and lyrics, it really does sound awesome to me like no other genre. I love it, but recently, it has been stressing me out. It seems like every band I try listening almost has at least one song that is talks bad about religion or god or something. The thing that has bothered me most recently is that I have been looking up like almost every bands religious views on the internet that comes up on pandora.

Now I know what everyone us going to say, obviously this being a christian guitar forum, everyone is going to say, "oh there is Christian metal bands" which I do like, for example August Burns Red, but I don't know, I just can't see myself JUST listening to Christian metal. It is not that I have lost my faith or anything, I love God, Jesus. and the Holy Spirit more then anything else, but it just sounds restricting is what I am trying to say.

My question is have any of you guys that love listening to metal ever felt like this? Also can you guys name me some bands that aren't really Christian Metal bands but also don't speak bad about religion? The only ones I have found so far are Parkway Drive, Killswitch Engaged, and maybe All that Remains.

Thank for any replies.
Just browsing posts...albeit old posts...and I realize no one may even respond to this. I completely understand what you mean. I have an extensive collection of Christian and secular metal. While I might regret stuffing money into the coffers (or coffins) of some of these secular bands who have little respect for the true God, I recognize that many secular or pagan/heathen musicians have been blessed with tremendous talent by the Lord...even though they don't know it. The fact that they don't give glory to God is sad. But like the Israelites "plundering the Egyptians" before the Exodus, I take the music for what it is. God given talent displayed by the godless. I do gain musical influence from some of these musicians. Lyrically, however, is a different story altogether.
Necromantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2015, 07:53 PM   #5

i don't know that i can give you a list of metal bands that don't bash God and aren't christian, but i have a few sick christian metal/hardcore/whatever bands that you should check out if you're getting bored with the ones you listen to now (:

Silent Planet
War Of Ages
Phinehas
For Today
Those Who Fear
Sleeping Giant
Oh, Sleeper
Texas In July
Beware The Neverending
This Or The Apocalypse
Beartooth
The Devil Wears Prada
The Chariot
'68
Fit For A King
Mouth Of The South
August Burns Red
I The Breather
Gideon
Gwen Stacy
Wolves At The Gate
Erra
To Speak Of Wolves
Haste The Day
Miss May I
Agraceful

And I think that's all I've got. It's not much, but I was a One Direction fan a year ago, so I'm pretty satisfied with this list. I hope you like some of them!
gibsonjenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2015, 12:40 AM   #6
Live life on island time

I always thought Flyleaf had a touch of metal...

http://youtu.be/xN0FFK8JSYE
JayGLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote