Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Automotive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #1

4 cyl vs. 6 cyl

OK, so I'm finding myself in a position where I might be needing a mid size vehicle that get's good mileage, can comfortably haul 4 adult sized people and have luggage space. I really like being able to easily access the luggage compartment so for me this means some sort of wagon or SUV on a car chassis kind of thing. I'm looking at things like the Honda CR-V, Ford Escape, Jeep Liberty etc.

So here's my questions: In a vehicle this size with 400+ lbs of passengers and or luggage driving 75-80 mph would a 4 cylinder engine really get that much better mileage than a 6 cylinder? Also would you think a 4 cylinder engine in a car this size, hauling passengers and luggage at those speeds for hours at a time be over worked? Would it wear the engine out faster than it would a 6?

jthomas1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
...more machine than man.

We bought a Santa Fe recently....very nice sized, lots of luggage room. The one we got has a 4 cyl. We are big people, and tend to over pack...I'm getting about 26 on the high way, so I'm pretty happy (this is a 2011, the 2013 can supposedly do about 32). The one thing it doesn't have is a lot of UMPH. There's just not a lot of power or sudden acceleration. I wouldn't want to try and tow anything larger than a small trailer. I know this would be different with a 6 cyl, but the mileage on the v6 would probably suffer by 5 or 6 mpg.

Not sure how that all relates to the wear and tear on the engine over the years....I suspect it's mostly an afterthought. At 70 mph your momentum is doing a lot of the work.

Supposedly the newer Ford Escape with ecoboost is roomy and gets great mileage and power.

Add me on FaceBook

S.B.Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
recovering user

Generally it's been my experience that a small and efficient motor becomes immediately not efficient at all when you ask it to make peak power all the time.

My 6-cylinder car from the '80's gets 32 mpg on the highway with two people and a load in the trunk. I average about 26 mpg overall, and that includes the time I spend flogging it through back roads... It's not my primary vehicle, so it gets a dis-proportionate amount of flogging as opposed to normal driving.

My wife's 4-cylinder car from 2008 gets about 27 mpg total.... no flogging, haha.

Don't underestimate the effect of vehicle weight on fuel economy. If you buy a big heavy car, you're going to get some big heavy fuel bills. My car is pretty light, thus the good fuel economy. If I were you, I'd look into cars that aren't too big... when you say "mid size," I start thinking Ford Taurus. The Focus has enough space for 4 adults, comfortably.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote