Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Food
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
Band

Send a message via AIM to MrCrabby Send a message via MSN to MrCrabby
Brew Day!

Brewed some beer by myself for the first time today. Unfortunately, it'll be about 3 months before I know if I screwed anything up. I used a Baltic Porter kit from northernbrewer.com.

Step 1 was steeping the grains (I did part grain, part extract). There are 2 lbs. of black malts, chocolate malts, and caramel malts. This step took about 30 minutes (I steeped the grains twice).
Step 2 consisted of boiling the steeped water along with the extract malt and some hops for about an hour. 15 minutes from the end of the boil, I added more liquid dark malts and more hops.
Step 3 was to cool the boiled wort below 70 degrees as quickly as possible. Didn't take a picture as I was frantically adding more cool water and ice to the sink bath and stirring the wort vigorously. This part only took about 15-20 minutes.
Step 4 was pouring the wort (and additional cool spring water) into a 5-gallon plastic carboy using a funnel. Only spilled a little, and mostly on my foot, so no sticky floors! Pitched the yeast in. Attached the rubber stopper and airlock for allowing CO2 to escape.
Step 5. It is a struggle to keep my apartment below 75 degrees during the summer, and the yeast ferments around 65 degrees ideally, so I wrapped a wet towel around the bottle, placed it into a bucket, and will continue to pour more cool water on it over the next couple of months. This closet is consistently the coolest part of the house.

Entire process, from sanitizing to clean-up took around 3 hours. Not bad for a first time, and it will go more quickly next time.

Does anyone else brew beer?
Attached Thumbnails
0609131612.jpg   0609131711a.jpg   0609131839.jpg   0609131843.jpg  

MrCrabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links