Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Community > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-27-2015, 11:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverburst View Post
Hey Andrew,

I saw you guys blow the lid off of the Georgia Dome at Winter Jam this month. I tried to get a look at your guitar from a distance on the screen. From what I could see, it looked like a PRS Soapbar? Maybe a custom version of the SE 245? What do you use for distortion, delay, amp/cab, etc.? Welcome to CG!
Hey guys. Remember that time I signed up for this message board, posted once, and then totally sucked at keeping up with it?

Silverburst, I played a bunch of different guitars on that tour but if it had a soapbar it was a PRS SE One korina. Unfortunately, the headstock broke off of that bad boy so he's been retired.

As far as my rig I run my guitar into a Polytune -> Digitech Whammy DT -> POD HD500x and that's it. All my sounds come from the POD. It took a lot of time and work to get it to sound the way I want it but I'm pretty pleased. Jody from The Newsboys actually turned me onto it.

AndrewWelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-28-2015, 06:20 AM   #17
The Elephant in Your Room

paid
Welcome back. Stick around this time; it's not a bad place to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2015, 06:37 AM   #18
and you were wondering??
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewWelch View Post

Hey guys. Remember that time I signed up for this message board, posted once, and then totally sucked at keeping up with it?

Silverburst, I played a bunch of different guitars on that tour but if it had a soapbar it was a PRS SE One korina. Unfortunately, the headstock broke off of that bad boy so he's been retired.

As far as my rig I run my guitar into a Polytune -> Digitech Whammy DT -> POD HD500x and that's it. All my sounds come from the POD. It took a lot of time and work to get it to sound the way I want it but I'm pretty pleased. Jody from The Newsboys actually turned me onto it.
I've always been a bit skeptical about POD, but I think that's because anything that isn't a simple stompbox that I have used required so much work to get just right that it became overwhelming.

Man... Headstock broke off?! What did you do? Lol

Yes... I am the official "Knight Who Will Write Something On Derrida".
Bask in the wonderful glory.

"outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend... inside a dog it is too dark to read."
-groucho marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon_Hunter View Post
Taylor, you just got drive-by theologied.
Uptown Thrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2015, 09:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chunkster View Post
I've always been a bit skeptical about POD, but I think that's because anything that isn't a simple stompbox that I have used required so much work to get just right that it became overwhelming.

Man... Headstock broke off?! What did you do? Lol
It can be overwhelming at first but once you make a patch or two it starts to make a lot of sense. I wasn't into the idea at all in the beginning but it makes sense for me since we fly to the majority of our shows. It's much more consistent than *HOPING* the back line company provides the amp I asked for.

As far as the headstock break...one of our crew guys put it in the trailer while was in a gigbag. I'm sure you can imagine how it went from there.
Unread 07-28-2015, 09:27 AM   #20
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
It can be overwhelming at first but once you make a patch or two it starts to make a lot of sense. I wasn't into the idea at all in the beginning but it makes sense for me since we fly to the majority of our shows. It's much more consistent than *HOPING* the back line company provides the amp I asked for.

As far as the headstock break...one of our crew guys put it in the trailer while was in a gigbag. I'm sure you can imagine how it went from there.
Oh man, that sucks. I would probably cry. Of course I'm super attached to all my guitars. I've literally only ever sold/traded one guitar... well.. I traded it for a guitar with the intention of flipping that guitar, so I don't count the guitar that I flipped...

Yeah, I hear that the PODs are super useful for situations like that, and really, even if there is a smaller quality in tone, you're not going to really hear it when it gets as loud as it does when you play venues as large as yours. Just as long as you're not recording with it (*cough* I'm an amp snob *cough*)

I do have to ask though, did you try or consider any other modeling units? If so, what made the POD the better choice? The POD has always kind of been considered mid-to-low end in the circles I've run in, however, there have been a few people I know who swear by them.

Do you use any kind of foot controller or do you have a roadie or tech who controls all your switching and effects? Having a roadie do that for me has always been a dream of mine, but I'm not a pro selling out arenas on major tours so... that dream will never be realized. *sobs*

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2015, 05:15 PM   #21
Basically... run.

paid
It makes me feel better about using my Zoom knowing that pros are performing with PODs.

Bass - Yamaha TRBX 505, Yamaha RBX 375
Acoustic Guitars - Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC48, J. Watson & Co. WD150TB, J&D Luthier
Electric Guitars - Fender Classic '72 Telecaster Thinline (2007), Maton Mastersound, Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, SX VTG Series Tele copy, Ibanez SA
Guitar Amp - Fender Mustang IV V2
Bass Amp - Behringer Ultrabass BXL1800A
Gear - POD HD500X, Zoom G9.2tt, Zoom B9.1ut, Boss DD-20

Warning: This journal may contain diary

But He was pierced for our transgressions
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
And by His wounds we are healed.
Giga Hertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2015, 04:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ax View Post
Oh man, that sucks. I would probably cry. Of course I'm super attached to all my guitars. I've literally only ever sold/traded one guitar... well.. I traded it for a guitar with the intention of flipping that guitar, so I don't count the guitar that I flipped...

Yeah, I hear that the PODs are super useful for situations like that, and really, even if there is a smaller quality in tone, you're not going to really hear it when it gets as loud as it does when you play venues as large as yours. Just as long as you're not recording with it (*cough* I'm an amp snob *cough*)

I do have to ask though, did you try or consider any other modeling units? If so, what made the POD the better choice? The POD has always kind of been considered mid-to-low end in the circles I've run in, however, there have been a few people I know who swear by them.

Do you use any kind of foot controller or do you have a roadie or tech who controls all your switching and effects? Having a roadie do that for me has always been a dream of mine, but I'm not a pro selling out arenas on major tours so... that dream will never be realized. *sobs*
I looked into the Axe FX and Kemper units and they're obviously awesome. I went with the POD because it's so much easier to travel with and it's all in one convenient board.

I do all my own changes on the POD. I only use like 3 sounds with TFK.
Unread 07-29-2015, 07:46 PM   #23
Deets Go Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewWelch
I looked into the Axe FX and Kemper units and they're obviously awesome. I went with the POD because it's so much easier to travel with and it's all in one convenient board. I do all my own changes on the POD. I only use like 3 sounds with TFK.
Would it be too much to ask you to give us the basic amp and cab models you use? I mean, I would ask for the patches, but let's be honest, that's being rude.

Follow my ramblings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer.
Your mother appears to have been infected by Kentl.
bravesfan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2015, 08:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan007 View Post
Would it be too much to ask you to give us the basic amp and cab models you use? I mean, I would ask for the patches, but let's be honest, that's being rude.
This is an approximation because I don't recall exactly...

Dirty sound - JCM 800/Plexi with Marshall cabs in stereo with a very, very slight delay on just one amp. Both are being pushed a little with a TS808.

Slightly dirty sound (mainly for the verses of Untraveled Road) - same as above with less gain.

Clean sound - AC30

I use various delays, a phaser (in lieu of a wah because I will Kirk Hammett the crap out of a wah if I allow myself to have one), and an octave on the clean for War of Change and Let the Sparks Fly.

Last edited by AndrewWelch; 07-29-2015 at 08:42 PM. Reason: For spelling
Unread 07-29-2015, 08:52 PM   #25
The Elephant in Your Room

paid
Never used a processor with an AC30 modeler. Couple friends use them, though. Slightly unrelated, but that reminded me that another friend is selling me an AC50 this fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsq View Post
...wives are expensive upkeep...
Ben Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #26

I just saw an ad on Facebook that you're coming to New Zealand in October!
jimtherocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2015, 01:51 PM   #27
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
This is an approximation because I don't recall exactly...

Dirty sound - JCM 800/Plexi with Marshall cabs in stereo with a very, very slight delay on just one amp. Both are being pushed a little with a TS808.

Slightly dirty sound (mainly for the verses of Untraveled Road) - same as above with less gain.

Clean sound - AC30

I use various delays, a phaser (in lieu of a wah because I will Kirk Hammett the crap out of a wah if I allow myself to have one), and an octave on the clean for War of Change and Let the Sparks Fly.
That's pretty cool. What axes are you traveling with these days?

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2015, 02:38 PM   #28

When you return, if you don't mind me asking a few questions here goes.....

1.In all your touring, has meeting fans ever touched you emotionaly, as in listening to their stories, or finding you had common ground to relate?

2.If you could play with any current music group, who, and why?

3.Do you ever write your own music?
Fuyukaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2015, 08:36 PM   #29

Jimtherocker - It's true! I just found out about that myself. It'll be my first time to New Zealand.

Ax - Right now I'm in talks with a new company so I can't say anything until it's official but at the moment I have a couple of Paul Reed Smiths out. A Singlecut and a Clint Lowery SE.

Fuyukaze - 1. It has happened a couple of times. I don't interact often with fans for a couple of reasons. I get really anxious in large groups and have had a couple of panic attacks during meet and greets/autograph signings. If you've ever had one, you'll know how much I'd like to avoid that. The other reason is that I'm not an "official" member of TFK. I'm a hired gun as if I were playing for a solo artist. So I just play live and that's the extent of my involvement in the band.

2. Kelly Clarkson or Jay-Z. I just love their music and think it would be a blast to play.

3. All the time. I don't write for TFK for the above mentioned reason, but I do a lot of writing. Sometimes with/for other artists and sometimes just for my own enjoyment.
Unread 09-26-2015, 09:48 PM   #30

Thumbs up

Booyaa
Caseyrock1 is offline   Reply With Quote