Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Theory & Technique
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #1

Learning the notes & keys???

I'm unable to afford lessons right now, and could sure use some help with learning. I've been playing a long time, but never put the effort into really learning the notes and keys. So basically if I were to play with someone else and they said "play a chord progression/solo in G" I would have no idea how to do that. I'd like to fill in with my church worship team on occasion, but without this knowledge it's not going to happen. I have the skills, just lack the knowledge. Looking for links to info or free lessons. Anything on improvising would be helpful too.

"Without God there is no virtue because there is no prompting of the conscience…without God there is a coarsening of the society; without God democracy will not and cannot long endure…If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under.” Ronald Reagan
Psalm27:1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #2

Do you know the chords? A, Bm, C, D, E, Em, F, and G? If so, try running through some 1-4-5 chord progessions. So if the key is G, that's the "1" so 2 would be A, 3 is B, so the "4" is C and the "5" is D. Throwing a minor at it would be the "6", an Em. So if the key is C, the "1" is C, the "4" is F, the "5" is G and the minor six is Am.

That should get you started, assuming you know the aforementioned chords.
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #3

Also, for solos, whatever the key is, run through the major pentatonic scale or the minor pentatonic on the relative minor (the 6th in the key). Either scale will usually give you a start.
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
Semper ubi sub ubi!

Scrape together some pennies and buy this book:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Guitar-Han.../dp/0679742751

Amazon has a used copy for $1.12. Trust me, you won't regret it. It will explain moveable chord forms, basic chord progressions, scales, chord theory, etc.

1/2
1/2-Fast Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathminnick31 View Post
Do you know the chords? A, Bm, C, D, E, Em, F, and G? If so, try running through some 1-4-5 chord progessions. So if the key is G, that's the "1" so 2 would be A, 3 is B, so the "4" is C and the "5" is D. Throwing a minor at it would be the "6", an Em. So if the key is C, the "1" is C, the "4" is F, the "5" is G and the minor six is Am.

That should get you started, assuming you know the aforementioned chords.
i know some of those chords by name, but the rest of what you said completely lost me. lol

"Without God there is no virtue because there is no prompting of the conscience…without God there is a coarsening of the society; without God democracy will not and cannot long endure…If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under.” Ronald Reagan
Unread 05-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
Semper ubi sub ubi!

Get the book I suggested, read and study it, and everything mathminnick31 wrote will make sense.

1/2
1/2-Fast Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2-Fast Player View Post
Get the book I suggested, read and study it, and everything mathminnick31 wrote will make sense.
Going to order it tonight. Thanks!

Unread 05-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
Bears Football and Guitar

There are quick and easy formulas that you memorize to help you find chords in a particular key; as well as play notes within that key (i.e. scales).

Here's a quick tip while you're waiting for your book. Learn this formula for any particular Major Scale.

W-W-H-W-W-W-H-(repeats) W-whole step (two frets) H-half step (one fret)

Here's the key of C:

C(w)D(w)E(h)F(w)G(w)A(w)B(h)C

Let's go over the this formula for diatonic chords.
Diatonic basically means notes pertaining to the scale you are playing.
Chords are normally numbered using roman numerals. UPPER CASE meaning Major chords, and lower case meaning Minor chords; however for simplicity I'll omit the roman numerals and give you the type of chord in diatonic order.

Major Formula:

Major (w) minor (w) minor (h) Major (w) Major7 (w) minor (w) diminished7 (h) Major

In the key of C, those chords would be:

CMaj (w) Dmin (w) Emin (h) FMaj (w) G7 (w) Amin (h) Bdim7

This formula can be transposed to any key you want to play, for instance the key of F#

F#Maj, G#min, A#min, BMaj, C#Maj, D#min, Fdim7

I hope this helps you.

Last edited by Guitarbite1985; 05-15-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Guitarbite1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalm27:1 View Post
i know some of those chords by name, but the rest of what you said completely lost me. lol
**EDIT**
Looks like someone beat me to it!

You may also check out a number of online resources.
I personally like:
Guitar Lesson World - Welcome to Guitar Lesson World
rattlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #10

I know I always post this link for anybody wanting to learn more about worship guitar, but it really is a great source for theory and improvisation, from the lead guitarist for Paul Baloche, Ben Gowell.
Download the Companion Handbook and the Bonus Companion Handbook. They are free.
A lot of modern worship leads are made from triads, so look into those as well.
Link: Ben Gowell - PDF Downloads

*Edit* You might look into purchasing the Electric Guitar DVD in his collection. I have it and have loaned it out several times and still refer to it.
Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #11

This might be needless now, but I've found this website that walks you through beginner theory Welcome to Free and Easy Guitar - Music Theory for Beginners for Guitar

Starts with notes, then scale construction, interavals, powerchords, chord progression, etc. Seems to be correct. I have a difficult time learning this stuff, but found this to be easier to learn from. just gotta take brain breaks.
Unread 08-31-2013, 08:33 PM   #12

What I am about to explain is very unprofessional, but I think it works for me, so here I go.

One of the characteristics of a song is the key. Each key would contain certain notes. So in the key of G major, we have:

G A B C D E F# G

the key of D major has:

D E F# G A B C# D

And you can see that the intervals between the notes are the same: between G and A, it's a whole step (2 frets up), and between D and E, a whole step (2 frets up), between B and C, half step (1 fret up), F# to G, half step (1 fret up).

So the pattern in a major key is:

W W H W W W H, so with these intervals memorized, you will be able to find every note in every key.

Let's now talk about minors: if you play C major on your guitar, then plan an A minor, they kind of sound the same, but Am is sad and C is happy. Because A minor is the relative minor of C major.

and the notes of A minor are:

A B C D E F G A

same notes as C major, but you see the intervals are different:

W H W W H W W

so now, you are able to find all the notes in a minor key.

In every key, there are chords that fit in this key, and here are the patterns:

major minor minor major major minor diminished

remember the notes in G are: G A B C D E F# G

the chords are then: G Am Bm C D Em F#dim G,

so now you can find all the chords in any key you want.

the chords in a minor key are:

minor dim major minor minor major major minor

I think you get it now

here's a link you can read on: Chords In The Key Of A Minor
bittersweet_C#m is offline   Reply With Quote