Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Food
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
OG Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

Paleo

Paleo is one of the newest diet trends, and I'm curious what others think about it and what your experiences with it have been. What is the biggest difference between Paleo and "clean eating?" What is the logic behind the whole caveman diet thing and why is it good or bad?

Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Paleo is one of the newest diet trends, and I'm curious what others think about it and what your experiences with it have been. What is the biggest difference between Paleo and "clean eating?" What is the logic behind the whole caveman diet thing and why is it good or bad?
I can honestly say that I have never heard of it. I'll have to look it up.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
OG Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. RM View Post

I can honestly say that I have never heard of it. I'll have to look it up.
That surprises me! I feel like I am seeing and hearing about it EVERYWHERE.
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
Old School
Administrator

After reading the Wikipedia entry for it I would have to guess that it could be healthy if done right. It seems that the "experts" fall on both sides.

Paleolithic diet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
Administrator
Administrator

paid
Quote:
i am on it right now. i love it.

what is your definition of clean eating?
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
I'm not sure what you mean about "clean eating", but Paleo revolves around eating like a caveman, which means no processed anything. Basically the rule of thumb is that if it couldn't be hunted or gathered, then you don't eat it.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
I'm not sure what you mean about "clean eating", but Paleo revolves around eating like a caveman, which means no processed anything. Basically the rule of thumb is that if it couldn't be hunted or gathered, then you don't eat it.
You don't eat grains either...correct?
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
OG Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauler View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
By clean eating I really just mean not eating processed foods. It seems like the two go hand in hand a little bit, with "clean eating" being almost a milder version of Paleo. But I'm not really sure what I'm talking about, so I'm asking! I hear both terms flying around a lot lately.

Paul, have you noticed any changes in your health and such? Any favorite recipes?

Unread 04-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
Ax
Rabid Wombat

It seems like an interesting diet, but the claims that it will decrease cancer and a lot of other diseases is BS. It's basically a low starch, high protein diet and will achieve similar results.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
Old School
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauler View Post

I am assuming those doughnuts in your avy aren't allowed.

Unread 04-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #11
Nerd Geezer

Quote:
By clean eating I really just mean not eating processed foods. It seems like the two go hand in hand a little bit, with "clean eating" being almost a milder version of Paleo. But I'm not really sure what I'm talking about, so I'm asking! I hear both terms flying around a lot lately.

Paul, have you noticed any changes in your health and such? Any favorite recipes?

My wife and I have been doing the clean eating thing since January. She and I had both plateaued on weight loss for months. After cutting out processed foods, hydrogenated oils, and anything artificial we have started losing weight again (my wife in a big way).

It was hard at first but luckily our local grocery store has a HUGE natural foods section. Our grocery bills have about doubled but we hardly eat out anymore (since so many restaurants use processed ingredients in their foods) so it balances out. I couldn't handle the no grains portion of Paleo... I love my bread/rice/oatmeal.

It's funny, though... when you look at "healthy" and "diet" foods on the market, they're often not real food. Just chemicals and preservatives and whatnot. We now drink whole organic milk, cook with coconut oil and bacon grease, and don't really watch our caloric intake as much as we used to but we are losing weight and my cholesterol and blood pressure are WAY down. I was really skeptical to use bacon grease/lard but if you do the research, it isn't bad for you. Lard has a nearly identical lipid profile to breast milk.

We're also considering trying out raw milk... the local co-op sells it. I have friends who started going exclusive raw milk and many health problems they had just went away. We are so used to processing everything in America that I think we've lost sight of the merits of beneficial bacteria and things in our foods that pasteurization filters out.

Tumblr: misterdrow.com (Naughty language warning)
YouTube: MisterDrow
Twitter: MisterDrow
FreakShiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #12
Unregistered Visitor

Send a message via AIM to bowstaff981 Send a message via Yahoo to bowstaff981
It seems to me like any other diet plan really. Cut out the unhealthy stuff and replace it with healthy stuff. What's so new about that?
bowstaff981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #13
Nerd Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowstaff981 View Post
It seems to me like any other diet plan really. Cut out the unhealthy stuff and replace it with healthy stuff. What's so new about that?
Except the normally accepted notion of 'unhealthy' isn't always what people think it is (or what we've been taught). Recently there's been a return to more natural animal fats and fresh vegetables and a shunning of vegetable and hydrogenated oils.

Tumblr: misterdrow.com (Naughty language warning)
YouTube: MisterDrow
Twitter: MisterDrow
FreakShiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #14
Be happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowstaff981 View Post
Another new set of definitions for "healthy" and "unhealthy".
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #15
Gone

I've heard bodybuilders talk about eating clean for years, and what they mean it is avoiding simple carbs and additions to foods that can pack on unwanted macronutrients (like salad dressings that add lots of fat or sugar). So they'll eat turkey at thanksgiving and avoid the stuffing, gravy, and sweet potatoes. I'm sure the meaning has changed drastically since it came into the mainstream.

There are videos of bodybuilders getting ready for the day, pulling out half a dozen plain chicken breasts to take to work with them, along with some brown rice or a whole thing of broccoli. I think there's one of Ronnie Coleman sitting in his police car, eating his 10 AM meal of a baked chicken breast with hot sauce on it and nothing else. "Clean eating" for a bodybuilder is one more way that bodybuilding sucks, because they have to treat eating as part of the job.

Give thanks to YHWH, for He is good!

Gone
Ted Logan is offline   Reply With Quote