Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #1

Vocal critique wanted

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comment on the voice, I know the background music is low quality.

I'm trying to get back into singing so I could use some pointers to get up to speed again (or for the first time)

I Never Got to See the West Coast (cover) - YouTube

Thanks so much!

CDBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
On-Line Guitar Instructor

It sounds to me like - You have your 'Own' voice. Which is important to have. You don't sound like you trying to copy any Singers. With some time, your Vocal ability will become Stronger. Don't hold back. Many times when feeling less confident, there is a bit of a shakiness in a persons voice.
---If you want more dynamics - Don't hold back.
-
-

From the Pew to the Praise Team in 90 Days --- *Let me help you*

Free Christian Guitar Lessons - Step-By-Step Guitar Lessons

-Check out my website- Free Christian Guitar Lessons - It'll get you Movin' Quickly!

---Check out my 50 Youtube Channel Guitar Lesson Videos.
Forgiven-Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #3

First of all, keep it up! You have good potential. Keep practicing and always try to learn new things. Don't get discouraged.

I kinda know what's going on with your voice but I need to know some details first. How does it feel when you're singing that song? Give specifics. Is your throat tightening up when you go for higher notes or do you feel the sound kinda going into your nose?

If I'm right... what's going on is that you're not actually using your nasal resonance in singing. You have a sound that is similar, but produced in the throat. It's the "Kermit the Frog" and the "Dudley Do-Right" sound. Pharyngeal resonance (nasal cavity) is actually really important to expanding range. I'm wondering this because you're notes around E4 are rather light for what they could be but you seem to struggle with the notes right before your bridge notes from about C4 to E4.

Last edited by LC7rock; 04-21-2013 at 03:58 PM.
LC7rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #4

Pitch is overall good. That's a tough thing to fix if it is not good, but you sound good there. Your tone, at times seems a little gutteral, or forced. Try relaxing some of the phrasing with "R" sounds. It's hard to describe the relaxed/strained part, but that's the biggest issue I hear. Your switch from normal voice to the upper register is seemless. Kudos to you on that. Stick with it.

Is your throat sore after singing 10-15 minutes or so? If so, you'll need to stop singing from your throat and learn to use your diaphragm.
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #5

I know this has been a while since anyone's posted in this. Here's what I was talking about before. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN1KLmY-acU

LC7rock is offline   Reply With Quote