LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
Apparently you decided on "shouldn't"
Actually, I decided on . . .

*wait for it . . . wait for it . . .*

Chesh

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
CheshireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #17
...more machine than man.

I use xx3213 often. F (add 9) I believe. Sounds good in most situations.

Add me on FaceBook

S.B.Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #18
Semper ubi sub ubi!

For a beginner struggling to barre the B and E strings, the easiest thing to play will be xx321x. In fact, when you're trying to play the barre, this is what you'll likely get anyway!

For now, try to play the barre across the two strings, but make sure the note on the B string, first fret, sounds clearly, even if the E string, first fret, is muted. In time you'll develop enough finger strength to sound both strings, but meanwhile you'll still be playing an F chord and it will fit into the song just fine.

Now, why is this? An F chord consists of three notes: F, A, and C. When you play xx321x, you're playing an F note (D string, 3rd fret), an A note (G string, 2nd fret), and a C note (B string, 1st fret). So you don't really need the E string, 1st fret note at all! That note is another F note, doubling the chord root an octave higher than the F you're already playing on the D string.

As others have said, it's vital that you learn to play barre chords, but this will take a while as you gain coordination and finger strength. Meanwhile, though, simpler chord forms will help you get by.

1/2
1/2-Fast Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #19

There is a voice in the wind . . . it is speaking silently . . . barely a whisper . . . it is mentioning the title of a book . . . I can't quite make it out . . .

C.

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. --William Blake

Click here for the WORST advice you could ever get/give in the entire world of guitar buying
Unread 04-07-2013, 07:24 AM   #20
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat
There is a voice in the wind . . . it is speaking silently . . . barely a whisper . . . it is mentioning the title of a book . . . I can't quite make it out . . .

C.
Hahaha... I haven't pulled that one out in *years*...

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
Hahaha... I haven't pulled that one out in *years*...
What has happened to CGR, Rainer, my dear old friend? Are we old men now? "CGR 10 Year Reunions"? No mentions of FBL SE or that weirdo who always constantly hawked it in every thread he could manage (with most people thinking he was a sock puppet for Bill Edwards), along with his stupid, do everything guitar shaped like a polygamist state? No more guitar modding, or 5 page, technicolor rainbow responses with purple prose?

What is this? A long thread about "keep working at" an open F chord (which, by definition, doesn't exist)? No mentions of getting a proper set-up or nut-job so that the guitar is more playable at the nut, along with along the rest of the neck, or alternative chord forms?

I feel like the Indian Chief in the "don't pollute" tv campaign in the 70's (who, btw, wasn't Indian, but Italian).

Keep America Beautiful - Crying Indian Earth Day Commercial 1971

I can't believe it's come to this.

Issues with XX3211 killing your hand? Then play X8756X. It's the same exact chord, only it doesn't kill your hand. Better yet, play 587565, and get a fuller sound.

Chesh

Unread 04-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #22
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
My favorite F chord is still 133211. Ain't nothin' quite like it...

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
My favorite F chord is still 133211. Ain't nothin' quite like it...
Yes, but not if you're a noob with the nut from h*ll. The "open f chord" on crappy beginner or "student" guitars is probably the biggest reason most kids quit than any other reason. They can't nail it, and think they can't play guitar as a result, especially when everyone they talk to tells them to "stick with it", and "you have to know it". Really? How many rock songs these days are written in F major or Bb major? The occasional G minor, maybe (relative to the Bb major), but, beyond that? Not many.

Perhaps so in many P/W applications, and various forms of popular music (the Beatles "Yesterday" comes to mind) but it isn't worth killing your hand over, and especially where there are much easier ways to create the exact same chord using a much more forgiving fingering.

Chesh

Unread 06-01-2014, 02:18 AM   #24

F chord alternative

I agree that it is best to keep working on the standard 'F' chord.
One alternative you can use is a 'D' chord up 3 half steps. Might be be best if you only
Strum the first 3 strings...
Good luck!
Harv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2015, 05:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner_guest View Post
This is about the easiest F Chord I could find, but mini barre with finger 1 and then trying to stretch to the positions for 2 and 3, especially 3, is proving difficult, that is without my fingers hitting every other string (and non-existance strings)
Yes. This shape comes in handy for other chords to. You can slide it up the neck for F#, G#, etc.
EGR755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2015, 11:58 PM   #26

Hi again.
One common issue when having a challenge with Barre chords is a guitar with strings to high off the fretboard.
Often an easy fix.
Unread 02-23-2015, 09:28 AM   #27

It's got a lot to do with thumb placement too. Thumb right behind fore finger. A nice clamp.
Unread 02-24-2015, 08:51 AM   #28

Hi again,

What a fun topic!

I'm a finger picker. I prefer to use chords that leave me freedom to use a finger or two for adding flavor to a tune.
There is a cool way to figure out where to Capo, and what chords to play.
I'll pretend you are interested...
Remember the word, ' CAGED'.
The letters in that word are all the major chords on the guitar that are not barre chords.
Begin by playing C... then put capo right behind the 3rd fret and play an A.
(The second letter in CAGED')
The goal is to have those 2 chords sound the same.
Move the capo up 2 frets and play a G... this should also sound the same.
Move the capo 3 frets and play an E....
Move the capo up 2 more frets and which chord would you play?
A' D'.... ... that's right...

If you play an electric or a cut away , you could move the capo up 2 note frets and start over...
With a C...

That word, CAGED' wraps around, so you can begin anywhere in the word and the next chord up will based on that word...

Using this method, I can pick any song, using a group of chords to my choosing.
When accompanying a vocalist, I like to stay out of their zone.
So there can be several reasons to use diffrend chording.

There is one more step to successfully use this method.... that is something called the circle of 5ths.

If you have follows me this far and wish to have the next part, let me know...

All the best,

Harv
Unread 06-02-2015, 11:05 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv99 View Post
Remember the word, ' CAGED' . . .
Pardon me . . . did someone just say "CAGED"?

Unread 06-02-2015, 08:16 PM   #30
Gone

Wow. Talk about a flashback!! Fretboard Logic for the (long) win!

Give thanks to YHWH, for He is good!

Gone
Ted Logan is offline   Reply With Quote