Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Automotive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #1

lift kits

Anyone lifted a truck themselves before? I would think a small (say 2 inch) lift would be pretty simple. If you've done it before or been involved in a lift project I'd love to hear how it went. How hard was it? How long did it take? Special tools?

jthomas1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-31-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
Living the Good Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas1600 View Post
Anyone lifted a truck themselves before? I would think a small (say 2 inch) lift would be pretty simple. If you've done it before or been involved in a lift project I'd love to hear how it went. How hard was it? How long did it take? Special tools?
While I haven't done the mechanic work myself, I have had a leveled truck and I am going to have a 4 inch suspension lift on my new truck at some point when I can afford it. From what I know there are two basic types of lifting kits or methods. First is the leveling kit which is basically a budget item that places a spacer on top of the stock spring to level the front end up higher. If you can dissemble your front end suspension then you could apply this yourself. The second type is the body lift type in which you change out the springs and shocks and lift the front and rear of the vehicle. This is more difficult as you have to change out all the suspension components front and rear; these allow you to lift and level at the same time. A leveling kit will fit bigger tires and maintain the stock ride while a body lift will alter the ride. Maybe you knew all this but I wanted to put it down. More importantly why are you lifting the truck? Bigger tires, looks or both? Could help you decide as well.

Edit: There are actually leveling, suspension lift, and body lift kits. I used some of those interchangeably. Leveling and body lift are very similar just differ in application, and suspension requires different hardware

Woohoo it is my blog
I don't need an Arcade, CPF is my Arcade
doulos14 is offline   Reply With Quote