Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Automotive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
recovering user

Favorite car/bike/vehicle you've owned, and why?

So just like the title says.... we've almost all owned more than one car. Now you have to pick one.

Of the cars/bikes/other you've owned, which one has been your favorite (not necessarily the "best" one, but favorite), and why? What memories or experiences lead to your answer?

Car:
I've only owned two cars. Well, a truck and a car... My old trusty Toyota pickup, and my older trusty BMW 3-series. I love the truck. It's been indestructible, reliable, and useful. Currently it dutifully gets me to and from the airport all the time, and hauls my bike crap wherever it needs to go. Great truck. However, the BMW gets the nod here. I can't really describe how it drives, it's just perfect. So connected, and so precise. The I-6 with RWD layout is something BMW stayed with for over 2 decades for a reason. Neutral handling, and progressive loss of grip that results in slight and manageable throttle-on oversteer are some of my favorite things about it. It's not the fastest, and doesn't generate the most lateral G's, but dang it if I wouldn't rather drive that thing than pretty much any new car.

You know you're an E30 owner when you think about someday replacing your 1980's machine with a brand new car, and you get all depressed about it. That about sums it up.

Bike:
I've also owned two bikes. A 1991 CBR 600F2, and the current track-rat 2005 GSX-R 600. The GSX-R is awesome. Great suspension, power, gearing... the thing is far more capable than I will likely ever be as a rider. It would absolutely fly in the right hands... but even with me on it, it's dang quick. It's the complete opposite of the old Honda. It's fast, cold, and heartless. Get it wrong, and it will put you on your head before you can figure out what happened. The Suzuki is the better machine, by far.

However, that old CBR was just great. The power was mediocre, the brakes sucked, and the damping-rod forks were from the 70's. But it was just too easy to ride fast. The chassis flexed so much that it would get all out of shape and start wiggling around sideways before it let go. It gave you TONS of time to figure out that you had got it wrong, and was very forgiving about it. You could come back in from a track session, and see your front tire visibly worn from scrubbing sideways, but it would have not batted an eye at you.

Anyway, that's my stuff. Lets hear some good stories!

Last edited by mulletman; 05-03-2013 at 12:47 AM.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #2

I've been through quite a few cars and trucks.

My 69 Mustang should be my favorite, but it had some issues so it's probably 3rd on my list. When I found that car it was in the process of being repainted so I got to pick the color and went with metallic blue with a soft white top. The car had a 6 in it but I had a friend build a 302 and put that in.

I had a 78 Ford truck with a short box. Two wheel drive with a 390 in it. That truck would get up and go. I loved that truck. Gas millage sucked though.

I had an 80 International Scout. That was one tough 4x4. 345 with a 4 barrel carb, Dana front axle with manual locking hubs, super low geared transfer case. That was a go anywhere, climb any mountain kind of truck. Didn't get any better millage than my 78 Ford did though. I can't imagine driving either of those two rigs as everyday daily drivers now.
jthomas1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Hmmm...I've owned a bunch of cars over the years, but my favorite would be a tie between my '70 Plymouth 'cuda 340 and my 1969 Dodge Dart Swinger 340. Both were 340/atx cars in mostly original condition with less than 100k miles on them and they would still produce great power. The Dart was lighter and was def. faster than the 'cuda, but the 'cuda had lines and curves and style that the Dart could only dream of.

And I've only owned scooters...Honda Reflex 250cc, Suzuki Burgman 400 and Yamaha Tmax 500...and the Tmax is by far my fav. of the three. More power, much better handling and braking and it looks pretty cool for a "scooter".

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
Lieutenant Commander

I had this awesome tandem bike once. Everyone was jelly.

A d A s t r a P e r A l a s P o r c i
slap_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
Grit 'n Grind

The best vehicle I ever owned was a 1999 Nissan Frontier. The truck had a 5speed manual transmission and a 4 cylinder engine, two wheel drive. That truck averaged 25 miles to the gallon, but still had a good bit of power for a truck that size.

Sadly, I totaled that truck after hitting a deer in the middle of the night. I bought it in 2005 for $4300, with 115,000 miles. Right now, the same truck with a150,000 miles is selling for $7500. It just makes me ill.
Unread 03-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
Support Southern Rock

My favorite car is my Saturn L200.... Because its the only car I've ever owned. Soooo it is a default but it is pretty solid. Only 1 repair in 4 years that wasn't because of owner negligence (as in me crashing into things).
Unread 03-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #7
recovering user

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
Hmmm...I've owned a bunch of cars over the years, but my favorite would be a tie between my '70 Plymouth 'cuda 340 and my 1969 Dodge Dart Swinger 340. Both were 340/atx cars in mostly original condition with less than 100k miles on them and they would still produce great power. The Dart was lighter and was def. faster than the 'cuda, but the 'cuda had lines and curves and style that the Dart could only dream of.

And I've only owned scooters...Honda Reflex 250cc, Suzuki Burgman 400 and Yamaha Tmax 500...and the Tmax is by far my fav. of the three. More power, much better handling and braking and it looks pretty cool for a "scooter".
I was hoping you'd chime in, I knew you'd have some cool answers. Awesomeness.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
I was hoping you'd chime in, I knew you'd have some cool answers. Awesomeness.

I do have one sort of 'guilty pleasure' favorite and that was my '82 Volvo GLT. It wasn't particularly fast, but fast enough for a stock '82 heavy Volvo. The joy in that car was in the ride, the handling, the comfort, the features, the overall build quality and I actually really liked the looks of it.
I was totally heartbroken when it suffered a multitude of electrical problems and nearly put me in the poor house trying to fix it.
I would buy another in an instant...but my wife would never let me.

It's the one car I've owned that I have no pictures of, but it was identical to this:

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote