Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Theory & Technique
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #1

The Jeff Beck "Growl"

Hey all

So, I've been listening to Jeff Beck recently, and I love his tone. There is one thing that I can't seem to get how he does it. He does this pinch harmonic "growl" that is so amazing, and I don't understand how he gets it. An example is in this video at around the 19 second mark (and again at :41 seconds):

I'm not sure how he gets the pinch harmonic with just his thumb, but he does use his whammy bar as well, but that overtone growl he gets with it is haunting, and stumping at the same time. Any suggestions?

EDIT: cannot seem to embed the video...here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMoZ08cISac

Current Rig: Gretsch Electromatic/Deluxe Stratocaster -> Polytuner-> BBE Wah -> MXR Dyna Comp -> TS9DX Overdrive -> MXR Custom '78 Distrotion -> Boss DD-7 Delay -> Holy Grail Plus Reverb -> Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

Check out my Journal
r3vo1ution1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Your vibrato has to be set up to float...not rest on the body at all...and make sure the bar is tight and then you flick the bar with your finger which causes a rapid vibration of the vibrato system, making the "growl" or warble sound that you're hearing.

Brad Willis from Night Ranger was known for making this sound back in the '80s:
1983 Night Ranger "Don't Tell Me You Love Me" (Rock Palace) - YouTube

@ 2:23 - 24

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
Okagesama de genki desu

That used to be one of my favorite tricks when playing lead Kinda miss my floyd sometimes

You can also get fun sounds like that from banging the body with your fist right behind the bridge. Same concept.
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
Your vibrato has to be set up to float...not rest on the body at all...and make sure the bar is tight and then you flick the bar with your finger which causes a rapid vibration of the vibrato system, making the "growl" or warble sound that you're hearing.

Brad Willis from Night Ranger was known for making this sound back in the '80s:
1983 Night Ranger "Don't Tell Me You Love Me" (Rock Palace) - YouTube

@ 2:23 - 24
Ah...I do have my tremolo set to float so that should be no problem...i'll try it out! Thanks for the help!
Current Rig: Gretsch Electromatic/Deluxe Stratocaster -> Polytuner-> BBE Wah -> MXR Dyna Comp -> TS9DX Overdrive -> MXR Custom '78 Distrotion -> Boss DD-7 Delay -> Holy Grail Plus Reverb -> Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

Check out my Journal
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #5

K I recently tried it, and I couldn't get that note to sustain the growl. Is it possible I'm not hitting the whammy bar hard enough? If I hit it harder, it rebounds off the body. Does this mean I have to increase how much my bridge floats? BTW I'm using a Strat to try it.

Check out my Journal