Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #1

Need Opinions, Comments,suggestions about this bass guitar rig.

I used to play guitar when I was in high school, back when I was around 15 or so.
I took lessons for around 2 years... stuck with it for a while, then lost interest.

I have recently become a member of a Church, with a 'modern worship' service.
I have become pretty good friends with the church band, since I have been setting up mics, and running the soundboard.

The bass player they had was from another church, and only came on occasion.
I was asked if I knew anyone who would could play bass every Sunday with them..

Ive been kicking it around in my head for a few months-- and I think I am going to try it out.
I still know most of the guitar chords, and a few scales and such.

I went to my local guitar center, tried out a few guitars-- then strapped on a bass.
I think this is going to be fun...challenging... but still fun..

I have been thinking about the Dean Exotica Acoustic Bass in Transparent Black. It has an onboard EQ and preamp for electric use.

I also like the SWR California Blonde II -- acoustic instrument amp.

what do you think about this setup?
i know its a lot, but i dont really consider myself a green leaf beginner, you know?
i know about guitar gear, and i know what sounds good- from doing sound for 10+ years.

please express your opinions, and fell free to comment.

Charlie

Charlie071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #2
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Is there any reason in particular that you're leaning towards an acoustic setup? Given your description of the service, it seems a little counterintuitive.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 05:56 AM   #3

I would only get an acoustic as a second bass should the team do an acoustic set. Get your basics covered. If your low budget, get some good used gear for a start then expand as your needs grow. If I were starting out, I would go for a higher end Squier Jazz or Pbass and a good 100 watt combo amp.
etechstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #4

The singer also plays acoustic guitar, and I wanted something I could play with a DI box straight into the board-- until I get better and/or buy an amplifier.

The guy who plays electric, only does very low volume strumming with chord accents..
He is just making the acoustic sound thicker. He doesn't do any lead work.

The drummer plays a Yamaha electronic set, and uses a large standard crash cymbal -- that washes WAY too loud for acoustic work.

I just want to be able to have a good bass tone, that mates well with the other instruments..
That's why I would like to be acoustic bass.

Plus I have a bad back and an electric bass is considerably heavier.

Advice is welcome
Charlie
Charlie071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
You can take an electric bass straight to the board and pre-amp it with the mixer.

The weight thing is a good consideration, but I've found that electric bass weights vary from instrument to instrument.

I'm just looking at it from a more long term stance. An electric bass shouldn't have any blending issues with the band setup you describe. Of course, what you're describing now is different than what I pictured when you said, "modern worship service".

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #6

The acoustic bass would be too limiting should your team branch out. An acoustic guitar can mix with anything except the heaviest of metal. Heart used acoustics for some of their heavy stuff. There are plenty of lightweight basses out there, look at Ibanez, Dean, and LTD for the basswood bodies. That is a great lightweight wood used on a lot of different guitars and basses.
etechstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:27 AM   #7
B_A_S_S

I just did the same thing, sound man to Bass player. I picked up all my gear off Criags list. If you are patient you can find some crazy deals!
Robert M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
My name is really Zebulon

Send a message via AIM to Bassman1185 Send a message via Yahoo to Bassman1185
Don't get an acoustic bass as a primary instrument. They are big and unwieldy, and they feed back on stage at even moderate volumes. They are one-trick-ponies tone-wise, and they don't even do that trick well. Honestly, a P-bass with flatwound strings (or really almost any bass with flats) will do a much more convincing "acoustic" sound than an acoustic ever will.

Here's what I would recommend for a setup that will work a lot better, be a lot more versitile, and probably cost you less, to boot:

Bass: Squier Classic Vibe Jazz Bass

Squier Classic Vibe Jazz Bass '60s Bass Guitar | Musician's Friend

Amp: Gallien-Krueger MB115

Gallien-Krueger MB115-II 200w 1X15 Ultralight Bass Combo Amp | Musician's Friend

Also, GET A FREAKIN' TUNER PEDAL. Your bandmates will thank you.

Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner | Musician's Friend

And if you want to go amp-less, you'll need a good DI. This is what I use at my church:

MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box with Distortion | Musician's Friend
Unread 03-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #9

Play sitting down. The bulk of an acoustic bass guitar may not overcome the slimness and extra weight of an electric
taiko is offline   Reply With Quote