Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Automotive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #1

Problem with heating/ac

So my car is a 2002 Chevy Blazer, and up until about a week ago, my heat/ac was working. Then one night I got in my car and all of a sudden, it decided to stop working. This isn't good, especially in winter, as now I am driving what is essentially an ice box. Anyway, no matter what setting I put it on, I get hardly any heat coming from it. I do get a very small amount of heat coming from the vents that blow onto my windows, thus allowing for a very slow defrost, however it creeps out more than it blows out, so I would assume it's just engine heat. I was thinking it might be the blower, but I was wondering if any of you guys had thoughts about what it might be.

Current Rig: Gretsch Electromatic/Deluxe Stratocaster -> Polytuner-> BBE Wah -> MXR Dyna Comp -> TS9DX Overdrive -> MXR Custom '78 Distrotion -> Boss DD-7 Delay -> Holy Grail Plus Reverb -> Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

Check out my Journal
r3vo1ution1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
A couple things...first, check all fuses pertaining to the HVAC system.
Also, make sure that you've got proper coolant/anti-freeze levels. Check it while cold and NOT under pressure.

Next, clarify exactly what is and isn't working:
Is the fan and fan speed control working?
Is the heater working?
Is the air conditioner working? (does the compressor 'click' on and does the engine load/idle speed change?)
Is the defroster working? (this is usually tied to the a/c compressor to help remove moisture)
Is the diverter from floor vents to dash vents to defrost vent working?

I'll pray that you don't have a bad heater core. They can be a major pain to change on some vehicles.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
recovering user

What he said.

What symptoms are you having, exactly?
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
...more machine than man.

Is the engine/radiator fan coming on? I had similar symptoms when mine died, except the engine was also running hot...

Add me on FaceBook

S.B.Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
A couple things...first, check all fuses pertaining to the HVAC system.
Also, make sure that you've got proper coolant/anti-freeze levels. Check it while cold and NOT under pressure.

Next, clarify exactly what is and isn't working:
Is the fan and fan speed control working?
Is the heater working?
Is the air conditioner working? (does the compressor 'click' on and does the engine load/idle speed change?)
Is the defroster working? (this is usually tied to the a/c compressor to help remove moisture)
Is the diverter from floor vents to dash vents to defrost vent working?

I'll pray that you don't have a bad heater core. They can be a major pain to change on some vehicles.
I will check those first two items tomorrow morning

-Fan/fan speed control does not work. There is no variation in the speed in which the heat/air comes out
-Heater works (kinda). My windows do get defrosted, however it A) takes longer than normal and B) only works for the dashboard vents (or so it seems)
-I do hear something click when i attempt to change the fan speed, however there is no visible/audible change in speed.
-My defroster is my heating vent, so see above.
-Dash vents work, doesn't feel like floor vents work

That's all I can give you right now. I will investigate the other items you suggested tomorrow.
Current Rig: Gretsch Electromatic/Deluxe Stratocaster -> Polytuner-> BBE Wah -> MXR Dyna Comp -> TS9DX Overdrive -> MXR Custom '78 Distrotion -> Boss DD-7 Delay -> Holy Grail Plus Reverb -> Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

Check out my Journal
r3vo1ution1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 12:42 AM   #6
recovering user

So if your windows do defrost slowly, then we can assume that the system is producing heat... and at least (for the moment) probably rule out things like a heater core.

I'd focus on the fan. If there is heat to be had, but no air is moving... it's probably the biggest issue at the moment.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
Honeymoonin'

Send a message via AIM to redbaron
sounds like your blower motor is dying or dead, in which case it's a pretty easy and relatively inexpensive fix.

Should be:

1) remove kick panel under glove box
2) unplug blower motor
3) remove 3-4 screws
4) drop blower motor on face
5) install new blower motor in reverse of steps 1-4
6) ???
7) profit!

Seriously though, if you aren't getting any real airflow, but it still feels kind of warm, it's the blower. If you're getting tons of airflow but it's cold, it's the heater core (or hoses, or...).
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c, blazer, car trouble, chevy, heating