Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Food
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #31
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
No prizes for me. I think the name scared a few people off, and word spread that my chili was supposedly the hottest there.

But the people that did try it seemed to really like it. I'll probably make some tweaks as I go along, but it's a good start.

Next year I'm thinking about making a Star Wars inspired chili called The Death Star, shooting for a similar spice profile but with a black bean and white bean dominated color palette.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #32
...more machine than man.

Use ewok meat.

Add me on FaceBook

S.B.Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #33
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Nichols
Use ewok meat.
Either that, tauntaun or wampa.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #34

I started using Sriracha chili sauce as my "spice" of choice. After browning the meat, but before putting everything else in, I give a generous squirt(s) to my meat and stir. So good.
darfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #35
Honeymoonin'

Send a message via AIM to redbaron
Going to copy and paste what I posted on Reddit at one point. I've been modifying my recipe and this isn't my latest and greatest iteration, but it's pretty close and I've done pretty well with it. I also do not support putting beans in chili (though I do serve black beans on the side) because I believe that they ruin the texture of it. That, and from a very young age in Texas, I was told by my father "son, beans are what moms put into chili to make their food budget go further". Seriously, just don't. It's chili con carne, not chili con frijole

Quote:
Alton's recipe is a good starting point. I also add chipotle chiles, dried habaneros, piquin, bhut jolokia, and pasilla.

I like to do a lot of fresh chiles as well. You can pretty much go to a good market and get some of everything. I put in jalepenos, habaneros, thai chiles, poblanos, anaheims, serranos, and whatever else they've got (in general). I saute them all with onions & celery in a bit of bacon fat (or olive oil if you're so inclined) until they're tender, just to add a bit more flavor. I usually saute some garlic with them as well, but I put that in just at the end because I don't want it to burn. I also believe you cannot over-garlic, honestly.

I like to do cubed beef, cubed pork, and ground of each. If you can add lamb in both forms as well, you will not be disappointed. I get a good solid sear on everything before I add my chiles and powder. Usually I'm making quantity and am too lazy to deal with fresh tomatoes. If I'm making a lot, I use 2 8oz cans of tomato paste, and three of the huge cans of crushed, peeled tomatoes. I then let it cook for 8-12 hours if possible (or even longer if you want to do that the day before, and then simmer it even longer the next day. Leave the lid off, leave it on low and stir occasionally. Let it cook down and add seasonings to taste. Even though you should add some kosher salt during the saute of the veg/meat, you'll want to add some more later, but I usually let it cook down a bit first. I usually add like a teaspoon of sugar to mellow the tomatoes a bit as well.

Also, if you have it, I like to add a bit of Blair's "Ultra Death" if the chile isn't quite hot enough because it's got very complimentary flavor and dear lord is it hot.
When you actually serve the chili is when you go nuts with toppings and other stuff. I don't put beans in my chile because I don't like the way it affects the texture- I do like them though.

On the side I normally have:
  • black beans
  • basmati rice (or whatever rice you like)
  • corn (i usually just use frozen)
  • crema
  • cilantro
  • diced sweet onion
  • diced poblano
  • shredded cheese (I use cojita or extra sharp cheddar depending on what I have)

I like mine to end up somewhere between 4 & 6 alarm (not everyone is happy with that heat level) but you can really play with the amounts of each chile in your powder and get the balance you like, obviously that takes a few attempts to get it perfect.
Usually I use about 4-6lb of meat and 3 10# cans of tomatoes and make ~10-12 quarts of chili. Last time it cost me $50 but I probably made 20-30 bowls worth of chili and it freezes well so I took them to work & such and fed friends several times. It's a pretty cheap dish to make when you amortize it.

I saw a suggestion for beer, the only reason I don't use it is that i have a number of friends and family with gluten allergies or celiac. The way I make it it's Gluten/Dairy/Soy free. Obviously not vegetarian but we're talking about chili con carne here...
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #36
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
, I was told by my father "son, beans are what moms put into chili to make their food budget go further". Seriously, just don't. It's chili con carne, not chili con frijole
I am not a mom, but that is precisely why I put beans in mine, though to be fair, I don't mind beans in mine either.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 10:41 PM   #37
...more machine than man.

Beans and chili just go together. Heaven knows I'm a traditionalist, but I know when change is good.

Add me on FaceBook

S.B.Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 10:43 PM   #38
The Story Teller

Quote:
Originally Posted by darfaz View Post
I started using Sriracha chili sauce as my "spice" of choice. After browning the meat, but before putting everything else in, I give a generous squirt(s) to my meat and stir. So good.
I put that stuff on everything! So good when you mix it with spaghetti sauce... mouth watering goodness! I should experiment more, I just usually use a recipe my sister gave me and go from there. I use a 3 bean mix with some Southwest BBQ sauce, seems to work well for me. And oregano is good in it too.
"When you say there's too much evil in this world you assume there's good. When you assume there's good, you assume there's such a thing as a moral law on the basis of which to differentiate between good and evil. But if you assume a moral law, you must posit a moral Law Giver, but that's Who you're trying to disprove and not prove. Because if there's no moral Law Giver, there's no moral law. If there's no moral law, there's no good. If there's no good, there's no evil. What is your question?" ó Ravi Zacharias
Caged Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 10:54 PM   #39
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Nichols View Post
Beans and chili just go together. Heaven knows I'm a traditionalist, but I know when change is good.
I feel the same way. I enjoy the beans in my Chili. I have had my fair share of beans and no beans. Exotic meats and just ground beef. This is what I've come to appreciate:

I like ground beef. The only other meat I really like in mine is chorizo on occasion. Not a lot, but just enough to add a little something extra. Deer meat is okay, but venison chili is something altogether different.

I like black beans and pinto beans. Beans add something that I think chili just needs. It's delicious. I do not like kidney beans.

I like it thick. The thicker without becoming a paste or a solid the better.

I do not like chunks of onion or tomato, but the flavor is off without either. I use crushed tomatoes and either chop my onions so fine they melt or use dried onion flakes.

I like it spicy. As spicy as possible. I've been known to start a crock pot full of chili at dawn, slice a couple habaneros in half and let them completely melt. I'd use a spicier pepper but other peppers just seem wrong.

Chili is not chili without the following spices: Cumin, Chili powder, Cayenne Pepper, and Paprika. Others spices are sometimes welcomed, though not necessary.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 11:31 PM   #40
Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by darfaz View Post
I like Sriracha, but I find that its potency gets lost over the course of cooking a meal if you add it near the start. Kaitaia Fire on the other hand is even more delicious and retains its heat throughout.
to_be_released is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #41
Honeymoonin'

Send a message via AIM to redbaron
If you're making chili with store bought chili powder, you're missing out on a ton of flavor, and it's ridiculously easy to make your own.

As I said, I like to serve mine with beans (and usually put a layer of black beans in the bowl before filling) but I do not like the way they make the chili texture, especially if you freeze, or just store & have leftovers. Chili should be even better the second day, and I don't think letting beans sit in the sauce is helpful in that regard.

Bill, while I know it makes the grocery budget go further, it's just not worth it to me. I spent $55 last time on chiles, tomatoes and meat, and it made enough bowls that the average 16oz serving cost something like 90 cents. I'm sure I could've expanded it out with beans to be 40-50 cents per bowl, but it's not worth it to me.
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #42
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
If you're making chili with store bought chili powder, you're missing out on a ton of flavor, and it's ridiculously easy to make your own.

As I said, I like to serve mine with beans (and usually put a layer of black beans in the bowl before filling) but I do not like the way they make the chili texture, especially if you freeze, or just store & have leftovers. Chili should be even better the second day, and I don't think letting beans sit in the sauce is helpful in that regard.

Bill, while I know it makes the grocery budget go further, it's just not worth it to me. I spent $55 last time on chiles, tomatoes and meat, and it made enough bowls that the average 16oz serving cost something like 90 cents. I'm sure I could've expanded it out with beans to be 40-50 cents per bowl, but it's not worth it to me.
I grew up on pintos. They were a main staple of my life. That and potatoes.

But aside from that, my financial options on chili are:

Almost never eat it because it is too expensive (Our budget got strained with my daughter and then me going back to school.)

Use beans, cut cost dramatically and eat it routinely.

I don't mind the beans. You do. That is fine. However, I do not regard them as beans in my sauce. I try to integrate them in, so they belong there. Maybe it is a different dish by that point, but I can afford it and I like it.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #43

We had a chili cook off at my work a few months ago. There was the winner... and everyone else. The winner had used sausage as there meat, and it was no contest as to the best chili. I've yet to try with sausage (I think it was pork sausage) but I will try the next time I make it.

I love beans in my chili. I know some people are against it, but even if money were no object, I would still put beans in my chili.
darfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2014, 02:27 PM   #44
Old School
Administrator

I making a "cloned" version of Skyline chili. We'll see how it turns out.
My German is pre-industrial and mostly religious.
Leboman is offline   Reply With Quote