Unread 05-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. RM View Post
Paul McCartneynot really
Geddy Lee FAVORITE
Chris Squier VERY TALENTED
Geezer Butler
John EntwistleINTERESTING STYLE
Rated your picks, as you mentioned most of mine. I also, enjoy what Jesse Reeves does with Tomlin.
kbaxter26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfood View Post
and Jaco Pastorius .......... i listen to a band called Weather Report .... acid jazz fusion ..... and its real nice.
Normally Weather Report's genre is called just fusion or jazz fusion over here. "Acid Jazz" confused me 25 years ago when I first started hearing the term coming out of the UK and so I bought a sampler CD and found out it was R&B with jazz elements like Jamiroquai, but closer to Incognito or The Brand New Heavies. I am surprised they are not getting much play on "Smooth Jazz" radio today since over half of their playlist is old school R&B.

Who inspires most me as a bassist? Well there was Stanley Clarke since I was in high school jazz band and Abraham Laborial today. But eventhough I have no jazz chops and can't slap and what I mostly add to our band is the blues the cats who can walk the line between jazz and funk still provide the inspiration of one day
taiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #19

Quote:
I don't play much bass, but I used to really enjoy listening to the bass of the OC Supertones. It was so different from anything anyone else was playing at the time.
Tony Terusa (I think) is the guy's name, and he is the reason I started playing bass. I initially just plinked his lines out on a little acoustic guitar we had laying around. Then, I got an actual electric bass and it was all downhill from there. I started a ska band later and wrote my own lines, and always tried to make them countermelodic and interesting like his. Just wanted to chime in, since you mentioned the genesis of bass in my life.

To add to the discussion, I'm a big fan of Anberlin's bass player as well as the usual Victor Wootens and Les Claypools of the world.
birry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2014, 12:38 PM   #20

My instructor inspires me. But, he is a true master of the instrument and, at times, can be discouraging....meaning that sometimes he makes it look too easy.

For example:

Adam Nitti-Skitzo-Balance - YouTube
Unread 01-09-2015, 12:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconRocks View Post
John Cooper of Skillet... he makes bass look so awesome.
Maybe he looks awesome, but with all the respect and as a bass player he doesn't play awesome and also sometimes he just play some notes that you can barely hear under the guitar chords(that's why they record the guitar so loud). One of the best things that can made a bass player awesome is their talent and how they create different bass lines or interesting bass lines in a song and not dubbed the guitar lines. Not how he looks or how funny or "monkey" he is. Also a good sound sometimes gives bass players some respect in live situations. But he doesn't have any of those attributes. I saw them live in FL and his sound was absent almost the all the show. Maybe he just looks good but as a bass player his technique and style of playing the instrument is very poor.

Last edited by fredolee16; 01-09-2015 at 12:46 PM.
fredolee16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2015, 12:35 PM   #22

Quote:
I don't play much bass, but I used to really enjoy listening to the bass of the OC Supertones. It was so different from anything anyone else was playing at the time.
In most of the OC Supertones records, their bass player was Tony Terusa. They are back together. He was one of my inspirations when I started to play bass, also with Jon Hill of Channel Surfers and of course, Geddy Lee from Rush and a very underrated bass players from the 80's,,,,John Taylor from Duran Duran.
fredolee16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2015, 03:24 PM   #23

I will second those who already mentioned Adam Nitti.
TWDarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2015, 09:54 PM   #24

My mom inspired me.
Fuyukaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2015, 08:57 AM   #25
Official CGR Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyukaze
My mom inspired me.
Same.

Sent from myself using CGR Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe View Post
This is Giuseppes daily reminder to CPFers that you are super awesome and God has a plan for you

*high five*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboman View Post
The frequency with which I use the phrase "blows my mind" is directly proportional to the amount of time I spend seriously reading the Bible.
Laguna Master is offline   Reply With Quote