Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #1

Tube bass di box

I'm looking for a all tube DI box to add to my arsenal. I've been looking and there's not too any out there. I haven't been able to get my hands on one yet, so I don't know what sounds like what. Anyone got suggestions?

rambo455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo455
I'm looking for a all tube DI box to add to my arsenal. I've been looking and there's not too any out there. I haven't been able to get my hands on one yet, so I don't know what sounds like what. Anyone got suggestions?
Most of the tube DI solutions I've seen have been rack mount preamps like the Avalon U5.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #3

There's one company that makes a tube DI box, idk if there any more out there, and Idk how they sound. I want the warm tube sound, and the practicality of a DI box.

image-572659253.jpg
rambo455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 02:28 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Ah yes...the REDDI. GT also makes a tube DI. Ampeg used to make a SVT DI.

I suppose if you're looking for an all-in-one solution for both preamping and DI, it might be a good solution. There are other tube pre-amps on the market with XLR outputs that might also be suitable while giving a little more tone control, like this one

Bellari MP105

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
My name is really Zebulon

Send a message via AIM to Bassman1185 Send a message via Yahoo to Bassman1185
What is your intention with the tube DI/Preamp? If you just want a "tube" sound, Tech21's VT Bass pedal is pretty fantastic. It is much more natural sounding than the BassDriver, and can do fairly natural, clean sounds. Truthfully, if you're not actually familiar with what you are specifically looking for and just want a warmer, more natural break-up, that might be the best way to go.

If you're really dead-set on actually having glowing tubes on your pedalboard, check out Dave Hall Amps:

Bass Products

They're all made in the UK, but he has a stateside distributor as well.

The REDDI is an absolutely beautiful sounding piece of gear, but be prepared to shell out premium dollars for one. I believe that they run north of $500, but if you've got the cash, they might be worth it.

On the cheap end of things ($30-100), the ART TubePre and TubePAC (preamp and compressor) are pretty good, but with very limited options as far as tonal control. We use the TubePAC at my church with an Audio-Technica condenser mic for our baby grand and it sounds really nice.
Unread 01-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #6

I had a Demeter tube DI, very nice, but a very clear sound. The REDDI is supposedly more like an Ampeg B15.
LWatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #7

The Reddi is the class of DI's no question. Having said that live I doubt most sound men or audiences will be able to tell the difference between it and something like a Radial JDI. If you want a good tube live sound with a SS amp or a direct line/monitor situation it's hard to beat a Sans Amp VT bass pedal or a Swell pedals B-bass. In the studio though the Reddi simply kills.
Burk48237 is offline   Reply With Quote