Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Hobbies & Entertainment > Automotive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #1

Functional 4 wheel drive

I haven't had a 4x4 in years and haven't paid too much attention to the technology. Back in the day it seems you didn't have much if you didn't have locking hubs. Is that still the case? I'm thinking my next truck (to be purchased some time next year) will be 4 wheel drive, but I don't want it to be 4X4 in name only with "offroad" stickers. I don't just want an all wheel drive car in a truck body. What do ya'll know about this? If it's just got a little 2 high, 4 high, 4 low switch on the dash is that really going to get me through a mud hole?

jthomas1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-13-2012, 12:59 AM   #2
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas1600
I haven't had a 4x4 in years and haven't paid too much attention to the technology. Back in the day it seems you didn't have much if you didn't have locking hubs. Is that still the case? I'm thinking my next truck (to be purchased some time next year) will be 4 wheel drive, but I don't want it to be 4X4 in name only with "offroad" stickers. I don't just want an all wheel drive car in a truck body. What do ya'll know about this? If it's just got a little 2 high, 4 high, 4 low switch on the dash is that really going to get me through a mud hole?
Yes, 4 WD tech has advanced significantly. I haven't done the research to know which specific vehicles are good, but you can definitely get a good 4 wheel drive without having to get out and lock the hubs.
Unread 12-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #3

If you want a truck buy toyota TRD Off road comes with a locker in the rear to help you get unstuck. If you want something towards SUV and can sacrifice a smooth ride and gas mileage get a jeep 4 door Rubicon to be specific. Front and rear lockers electronic sway bar disconnect and mud tires. Both have electronic 4X4 selection from inside the vehicle. No more getting out and locking the hubs.

I own a 4 door sport model jeep and I really don't need the lockers unless I am in over my ability on a trail ride but if that happens I can have someone winch me out. I consider myself an enthusiast but I don't get off road much due to lack of funds, a toddler and infant.

All of the true 4X4's on the market are really good. I would stay away from the AWD stuff if you plan on using it. But if I had to choose I would co with the toyota or jeep.
abock33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Yes, 4 WD tech has advanced significantly. I haven't done the research to know which specific vehicles are good, but you can definitely get a good 4 wheel drive without having to get out and lock the hubs.
Right it used to be you could kind of tell from just looking at the outside (front axle, hubs, etc.) but not anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abock33 View Post
If you want a truck buy toyota TRD Off road comes with a locker in the rear to help you get unstuck. If you want something towards SUV and can sacrifice a smooth ride and gas mileage get a jeep 4 door Rubicon to be specific. Front and rear lockers electronic sway bar disconnect and mud tires. Both have electronic 4X4 selection from inside the vehicle. No more getting out and locking the hubs.

I own a 4 door sport model jeep and I really don't need the lockers unless I am in over my ability on a trail ride but if that happens I can have someone winch me out. I consider myself an enthusiast but I don't get off road much due to lack of funds, a toddler and infant.

All of the true 4X4's on the market are really good. I would stay away from the AWD stuff if you plan on using it. But if I had to choose I would co with the toyota or jeep.
It's funny you mention the Toyota. That's mostly what I've been looking at lately. Something like this.

Cars for Sale: 2007 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab V6 in Houston, TX 77024: Truck Details - 336006933 - AutoTrader.com
Unread 12-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
recovering user

I'm just here to say that I know nothing of off-roading, except for a few days spent in an older Toyota pickup. Good times, though!
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
Definitely good times. I've spent a lot of time on trails in good 4WDs and not so good 4WDs. Gosh. Fun.
Unread 12-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
Grit 'n Grind

I have no knowledge of their 4wd capabilities, but i can tell you from my time working on a car lot; used Toyota pickups tend to be more than ridiculously overpriced. If you can get a good deal, though...
Unread 12-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #8

They are overpriced but so is the rest of the auto industry.

The nice thing about toyotas is that they hold their value. Look at a used Toyota (doesn't matter what model). The 5 year old models are only a few thousand les than a new one. Look at any other manufacture and the price for used in the same year range drops 5-10k less than new.
Unread 12-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandrew View Post
I have no knowledge of their 4wd capabilities, but i can tell you from my time working on a car lot; used Toyota pickups tend to be more than ridiculously overpriced. If you can get a good deal, though...
Funny you mention that. I was going to throw the question out: Are Toyota's over priced or are they simply a better truck and therefore worth more money?

I've noticed the Dodge Dakotas seem to be the best buy in the small truck market. Are they the best buy, or are they just not as good and therefore worth less money?
Unread 12-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #10

The Dakota is a nice truck. My wife had one. But it is a cheaper truck because of the cheaper parts. It's mostly made out of parts from Mexico and Canada. Toyotas have more American parts than most American vehicles. They are built in Georgetown Ky and use parts from throughout the US.
Unread 12-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #11
recovering user

I hate to say it.... but I view off-roading much like I view racing/trackdays/any other motorsport.

The bottom line is this: You're going to break your stuff. All the time. Whether it's high quality or not. Actually, Mr. Murphy probably dictates that the more you spent on it, the quicker it will break. Inexpensive motorsport is the biggest oxymoron in the history of the world.

Now if this off-road vehicle is to be used like most 4wd vehicles I've seen, (driven only on public roads while the owner dreams of how awesome off-roading is) you'll be fine with whatever truck you use. I don't mean that in an insulting way at all, I just find it hilarious that everyone who claims to take their car/bike to the track usually doesn't, and everyone who talks about off-roading usually doesn't do that either. Haha.
Unread 12-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #12

To be clear: this truck will not be for "offroading". I want to be able to drive around the back of the house when I've got a tree down with out worrying about getting stuck, we like to drive on the beach, if we see a dirt county access road that looks interesting we'd like to go check it out, just things like that. I've done those kind of things in 2 wheel drive trucks before and it generally turns out bad. My wife drives a 2 wheel drive silverado and that thing is worthless on the grass if it's wet. We like the Silverado...it's just definitely a highway truck.
Unread 12-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #13
recovering user

Alright, thanks for the clarification. As far as the Toyota vs. whatever else thing.....

Toyotas do cost more. I haven't owned a new Toyota, so I can't vouch for them. However, I can tell you about my experience with two older trucks. One is a '92, the other a '93. Combined, they're closing in on 500k. Neither one of them has ever had a non-start. Not even a dead battery. Mine is the '93, and I've abused the crap out of the thing. I once drove it 100+ miles across the Arizona desert at about 80 mph... with not a drop of coolant in it. When I got to my destination, it was idling kind of funny. Filled it up with fresh coolant, and all was well. That was about 55k ago, and no ill-effects have yet popped up. My truck has served as a rally vehicle on dirt roads, and occasionally it's been airborne. I haven't managed to break it yet.
Unread 12-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
Alright, thanks for the clarification. As far as the Toyota vs. whatever else thing.....

Toyotas do cost more. I haven't owned a new Toyota, so I can't vouch for them. However, I can tell you about my experience with two older trucks. One is a '92, the other a '93. Combined, they're closing in on 500k. Neither one of them has ever had a non-start. Not even a dead battery. Mine is the '93, and I've abused the crap out of the thing. I once drove it 100+ miles across the Arizona desert at about 80 mph... with not a drop of coolant in it. When I got to my destination, it was idling kind of funny. Filled it up with fresh coolant, and all was well. That was about 55k ago, and no ill-effects have yet popped up. My truck has served as a rally vehicle on dirt roads, and occasionally it's been airborne. I haven't managed to break it yet.
That's the impression I've always had about Toyota trucks. So if you pay a little more initially for a truck that has 50,000 miles on it, but then drive it for another decade or more with no problems, the little more you paid becomes pretty insignificant.
Unread 12-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #15
Art
Superfly.
Administrator

paid
Toyota generally makes a really good truck. Which pains me to say, because right now they are making absolute crap out of their cars. The trucks, though, not much negative to say about them.