Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Music & Musicians > Instruments > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
Guitar Player...

Monoprice Guitars

Apparently Monoprice sells guitars now: HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

I very much doubt that they are any good at those prices but if anyone happens to buy one I'd love to hear a review. You never know, right? Maybe they can compete with SX as a decent budget guitar.

They also have some random music accessories. The $20 headphone amp looks interesting.

Edit: looks like they aren't available until January 1.

Gear
Art & Lutherie Spruce with Quantum I Electronics
Agile AL-3100 -> GFT-90 Pedal Tuner -> SBN BDAB -> Danelectro Cool Cat Drive (OCD Clone) -> Boss DD-7 w/ homemade tap tempo -> Garnet Gnome
dtaylorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #2

I love the fact that they have a 5 limit yet show the price for 50+. Who is going to buy 50 of the same guitar?
abock33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
Ax
A nu start

LOL, almost guarantee it will be crap.

I would have the aspiration to be apathetic but I just don't care.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
If it's from monoprice, it's gotta be cheap.

But, c'mon guys, this is the internet age. There's no reason why I should pay $1000 for a Fender when all I'm buying is the name. $90 for a guitar that sure looks as good as a Strat (based on a low-res pic on a webpage) has got to be all I'll ever need to release my inner Hendrix.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
I don't know what Monoprice is. All I can tell you is these guitars remind me of the "Baltimore" and "Californian" and a dozen other names of guitars I see pop up on CL every once in awhile. They're usually priced at $99, and priced about $98 too high.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
Guitar Player...

Monoprice is best known for their budget cables (of all sorts - for TVs, guitars, etc.). I think their instrument cables usually get decent reviews (never tried them myself).

Gear
Agile AL-3100 -> GFT-90 Pedal Tuner -> SBN BDAB -> Danelectro Cool Cat Drive (OCD Clone) -> Boss DD-7 w/ homemade tap tempo -> Garnet Gnome
Unread 11-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #7

I like how the price break for buying 50+ is about 4 dollars per guitar.
jthomas1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
Guitar Player...

I see $85+/guitar for 50+. Not that it matters, since they seem to have a limit of 5 per customer.

Gear
Unread 11-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #9
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
I've purchased various items from Monoprice...cables, network hubs and routers, random cheap electronic stuffs...but I don't see myself buying a guitar from them.
I just don't.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 06:29 AM   #10
Hey ya'll, watch this!

Great thread! I was just about to order a wall mount data rack for my house and you guys saved me around $100.

Oh, and here's the obligatory link for my favorite source for cheap electric guitars that actually work. http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html Great return policy and quite a few hidden gems in there. I just don't think they're a good choice for a beginner because they tend to need a little setup and TLC to really work well. And their acoustics are pretty much usable right out of the box so they are a reasonably safe bet for a beginner or someone needing a guitar that is sort of disposable.

Last edited by jeepnstein; 11-21-2012 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Shilling for Rondo added.
jeepnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #11

Thanks for everyone's support! We only recently got into pro-audio but are excited to offer these and hope to make a big splash in the market. Additionally, all Monoprice guitars go through a setup process here in California that is personally supervised & inspected by Master Luthier, Roger Gresco which for those of us who play guitar this is a very big deal. Also, we do offer a quantity price break on 50+ pricing for resellers and the like so if you are interested in more than 5 guitars, don't hesitate to contact us!

Regards,
Monoprice Tech Support
Monoprice01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #12

Route 66

I have received my Rout 66 guitar from Monoprice and compared to my Fender Tele, this is a great guitar. Not at all like other cheap guitars.

Seriously all products I've ordered from Monoprice are all great, which is why I thought what the heck try one of their guitars.... I even order some of their little mini amps just for fun.
intrawebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 01:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
If it's from monoprice, it's gotta be cheap.

But, c'mon guys, this is the internet age. There's no reason why I should pay $1000 for a Fender when all I'm buying is the name. $90 for a guitar that sure looks as good as a Strat (based on a low-res pic on a webpage) has got to be all I'll ever need to release my inner Hendrix.

I have looked and looked and watched and seen and found NO fault all reviews I have read are very positive and ther is a video on there website with John Cole playing one and its awesome
rockerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 01:46 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerdude View Post
I have looked and looked and watched and seen and found NO fault all reviews I have read are very positive and ther is a video on there website with John Cole playing one and its awesome
I've read positive reviews for some guitars that I know were (as a general product) really bad. It happens.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote