Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Guitar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #46

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC7rock View Post
Just for curiosity we plugged in a Boss DS-1 into my rig one day... Needless to say, it didn't sound pleasant at all.
Does the DS-1 sound pleasant plugged into anything?

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
I was actually about to say something like this.

It's really not the "U2 sound." It's the "Where The Streets Have No Name" sound.
The Edge was really the first guy to lay it on thick back in the day as far as delay effects and whatnot. He was kind of the Alpha-new-wave guitar guy, so I just associate that sound with him and he did use it quite a bit (also see, "With or Without You" amongst others from the early 80's) and scores of guitarist copied it. He even coined the term "infinite guitar" that described that sort of sound.

Anyway, I'd just be happy to hear someone do something original sounding with a lead guitar track outside of Lincoln Brewster or an occasional good Hillsong lick. I have a feeling the studio producers are filtering out a lot of the good stuff to make recorded music radio friendly... A couple years back the Sidewalk Prophets played at our church and leading up to the concert I was just kind of "meh.." on their music that I had heard on the radio. However, they totally ripped live. Sounded like a different band, much more interesting live than recorded.
PAMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #48
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWatford View Post
While I don't hate it, I feel like it is so overdone. How has so much music been made based on Streets-style (I wouldn't even call it U2, that's generalizing) delay?
I do. I really hate that style. Makes me glad I don't listen to Christian radio anymore and especially more "modern" worship services.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMatt View Post
A couple years back the Sidewalk Prophets played at our church and leading up to the concert I was just kind of "meh.." on their music that I had heard on the radio. However, they totally ripped live. Sounded like a different band, much more interesting live than recorded.
Yeah, we took our youth group to Acquire the Fire, and I gotta say School of Worship and Shonlock sounded way better live than recorded too. Of course there are multiple versions of School of Worship and it's always changing, but they sounded 10x better than the record. Shonlock's band was amazing, but the record sounded thin... It's like something was missing on the recorded versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
That thing is full of ugly, nasty, sharp treble... How anyone can stand to play through it is beyond me... But then again maybe I'm just used to playing through tube gear.... I haven't even practiced through a solid state rig in months. (5 watt Fender's make great little practice rigs). http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...52789933_o.jpg

LC7rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #50

Quote:
Ha! Actually, after I modified my DS-1 with the Monte Allums Tri-Gain mod, it sounds pretty good. But, in stock form they're pretty fizzy.
SomeoneNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 05:20 PM   #51

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneNew View Post
Ha! Actually, after I modified my DS-1 with the Monte Allums Tri-Gain mod, it sounds pretty good. But, in stock form they're pretty fizzy.
Certainly. I modded my DS-1 to clone the Keeley mod. It went from paper weight to awesome for <$10 in parts.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Logan View Post
You know what I hate? When I can't hear the acoustic guitar at all. Incredibly frequently, I find that all I can hear in church music teams is drums, bass, and vocals. Maybe electric guitar. But that awesome rhythm acoustic guitar? Nowhere to be found. WHY?
I agree. It always seems to be the piano, vocals and drums that are the most prevalent sound in church music. It drives me crazy that every song sounds essentially the same with the piano driving the song.
juice3250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #53
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
As an owner of an original (circa 1980) DS1, I can attest to the fact that they WERE a pretty good distortion pedal and they make a nice compliment to most any decent amp.
My 2002 DS1, on the other hand, sounded like complete thin-and-buzzy garbage until I modified it. Even after that the sound is only so-so.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #54
Okagesama de genki desu

Maybe I'm weird, but I think a stock DS-1 sounds great! It definitely takes some tweaking, and it can sound horrible at a lot of settings, but when you find the right setting it's a great sounding pedal. It sits in a mix perfectly, and it cleans up really well. I've played entire worship services with a DS-1 as an overdrive and I'm able to get every level of dirt I need out of my volume knob. Best $20 I ever spent
Unread 01-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #55
BassRun

I definitely agree with you about the sound of the Ovation Guitars. They are just not that rich sounding.

Another thing I don't like is when the guitars are out of tune.
EADGRUnner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #56
by hope we steer

Over processed and gated high gain tones.
Unread 01-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #57
Xcelerate.

I understand the haters for the "Streets" delay sound, but I base my U2-ish sounds off of Achtung Baby and the 2000s stuff more. That is probably because I don't have a half-decent Strat worth playing. I'm a huge fan of the "Ultraviolet," "Until the End of the World," and "Miracle Drug" tones, even more than any of the tones from the entire Joshua Tree album.

Also, as mentioned a few posts above, having drums and (ESPECIALLY) piano driving contemporary worship services is pretty crappy. I don't have as big of a problem with vocals (if they're good). Nine times out of 10 I cannot hear myself singing or playing over the piano. The sound guys at my church hate me...

And one of our pianists thinks that she is the most musically gifted person at the church, when in reality she tries to do to much and does not have a good sense of what sounds good or bad, what flows and what doesn't, etc. Anyone else have this problem?

My electric rig: Fender Deluxe Player's Strat > Morley Little Alligator > Dunlop Echoplex Preamp > Line 6 M13 > Blackstar HT-5R w/ a 5751

Other stuff: Yamaha CPX-1200 (acoustic), Mid-2000s Fender Standard Jazz Bass
gopats1479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #58
Xcelerate.

And on a completely different topic, a REALLY bad sound is a Blues Junior with no pedals on a American Strat bridge pickup with the gain dimed. It is the most disgusting thing ever. Sounds so shrilly and muddy and exploding amp-like. Even though I love to hear tube amps that are just on the edge of exploding, that amp was past that point. Just awful.

My electric rig: Fender Deluxe Player's Strat > Morley Little Alligator > Dunlop Echoplex Preamp > Line 6 M13 > Blackstar HT-5R w/ a 5751

Other stuff: Yamaha CPX-1200 (acoustic), Mid-2000s Fender Standard Jazz Bass
gopats1479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 02:54 AM   #59
Tired of being attacked

A fender twin set up badly has to be one of the worst, because not only does it have the capacity to be painfully shrill, it has the capability to be painfully shrill at 2 miles away. I used to play on a worship team with an ex session guitarist who was quite good, but who had lost a substantial amount of hearing in the upper register. He had world class gear. (His current job paid around 1mil a year, so his gear was beyond drool worthy, but he had a tendency to set it to where it sounded like an ice pick through the head.

I am not a fan of most strat sounds myself. I know that is really guitarist heresy, but oh well. I'd much rather hear teles, humbuckers, or p90s.

I in response to the discussion of ds-1s think they would have a much better rep if the tone knob worked the other way around.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #60
Heaven isn't too far away

Send a message via AIM to gtrdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopats1479 View Post
And on a completely different topic, a REALLY bad sound is a Blues Junior with no pedals on a American Strat bridge pickup with the gain dimed. It is the most disgusting thing ever. Sounds so shrilly and muddy and exploding amp-like. Even though I love to hear tube amps that are just on the edge of exploding, that amp was past that point. Just awful.
Every time I think I want to buy a Blues Junior, I go play one and am reminded of why I never follow through with the purchase.

youtube
facebook
cd baby
gtrdave is offline   Reply With Quote