Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #1

Help--I'm becoming a bass player...

No offense intended--just that due to a lack of bass players in our congregation I play bass a lot more often than guitar on Sundays, and even people who know I play guitar have started to think of me more of a bass player.

When I'm at home I will pick up my bass sometimes, but usually it's the guitar.

So I still think of myself as a guitarist who also plays bass.

But others are thinking of me more as a bass player.
My bass playing has certainly improved doing all that bass playing on Sundays.
And I'm paying more attention to bass lines & bass players when I see others play.

And I recently posted for thoughts on fretless bass--and am considering a fretless bass.
I only have one bass, and when I get a new guitar, I consider a new bass--but I prefer the guitar so I get one of them first.

So am I becoming a bass player?

Unread 08-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
Lieutenant Commander

Learn "Gimme Three Steps" by Skynyrd. If you can play that in the pocket, then you'll be well on your way.

A d A s t r a P e r A l a s P o r c i
slap_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #3

Learning bass will only help improve your rhythm guitar playing.....and not mention that bass playing is fun too.
Rom. 12:21; Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.
funkStrat_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
Person

I went through a phase of playing more bass than guitar at church. It's good having the flexibility to help out wherever needed. Music teams go through seasons - enjoy the season of playing bass for what it is, but I have no doubt you'll eventually end up back on guitar.

Maybe you need to help train a new bassist
to_be_released is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 12:53 AM   #5
Hey, I can change this!!!

I'm about half an half

if I'm leading I play guitar, if Al is leading I play bass.

unless I'm playing bouzouki, tenor guitar, mandolin or banjo........

luthier blog

Soundclick Developing Worship forum
martinedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 12:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkStrat_97 View Post
Learning bass will only help improve your rhythm guitar playing.....and not mention that bass playing is fun too.
Of course it's fun.
And I enjoy playing on the worship team.
I did play guitar last week--our regular leader--who usually plays guitar--was away and there was only one other guitar player available--a young guitarist who didn't want to be the only guitar player--so I played guitar instead of bass. And it was fun to do so as well.
And yes playing bass helps the rhythm side of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_be_released View Post
I went through a phase of playing more bass than guitar at church. It's good having the flexibility to help out wherever needed. Music teams go through seasons - enjoy the season of playing bass for what it is, but I have no doubt you'll eventually end up back on guitar.

Maybe you need to help train a new bassist
I've been playing bass more than guitar for about 3 years.
But playing more often--and enjoying it.
I do like having the flexibility to be able to help out and serve.

As for training a new bassist--I've been trying.

We have another one--but he's often out of town.
I've been trying to talk another guy into learning it--he's played guitar before and tried out my bass one Sunday after the service--he did fine--he could play bass for the team.

But he keeps avoiding it--I'll keep looking & keeping working at it.

thanks for the comments.
And know that my Help! comment is tongue in cheek...
Unread 09-02-2012, 07:14 AM   #7

I would say you are a musician who is serving his church by playing bass. A natural bass player would have a different attitude and play a keyboard bass if he had an accident and was left with one hand. I guess I turned into a bass player from being a sax man who dabbled with the guitar
taiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
On-Line Guitar Instructor

Zedman - That's Cool about Playing the Bass. I as well am a Guitarist, that has the ability to Play the Bass. It has come in Very Handy over the years. It allows me to fill in where ever needed.

Right now - I fill in on the Praise Team at my Church. I fill in when people go on vacation or have to miss a Sunday for something. By me having the ability to play both Bass & Guitar, I have the ability to fill in for either a Guitarist or the Bassist. It's Great having the ability to which ever instrument that's needed.

Also - if you get into a Band at a later time, it's nice to have the ability to Play the Bass. There are a Million Guitarists. But, only about a Thousand Bassists (so it seems). Usually a Good Bassist is hard to find.

Oh Yeah - On the Fretless Bass idea, Go for it. I've owned both Fretted & Fretless Basses over the years. I really like the feel of the Fretless & it sounds pretty Cool when sliding between the notes.

From the Pew to the Praise Team in 90 Days --- *Let me help you*

Free Christian Guitar Lessons - Step-By-Step Guitar Lessons

-Check out my website- Free Christian Guitar Lessons - It'll get you Movin' Quickly!

---Check out my 50 Youtube Channel Guitar Lesson Videos.

Last edited by thesteve; 09-03-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Forgiven-Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 12:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiko View Post
I would say you are a musician who is serving his church by playing bass.
Yes, I am. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgiven-Sinner View Post
Zedman - That's Cool about Playing the Bass. I as well am a Guitarist, that has the ability to Play the Bass. It has come in Very Handy over the years. It allows me to fill in where ever needed.

Right now - I fill in on the Praise Team at my Church. I fill in when people go on vacation or have to miss a Sunday for something. By me having the ability to play both Bass & Guitar, I have the ability to fill in for either a Guitarist or the Bassist. It's Great having the ability to which ever instrument that's needed.

Also - if you get into a Band at a later time, it's nice to have the ability to Play the Bass. There are a Million Guitarists. But, only about a Thousand Bassists (so it seems). Usually a Good Bassist is hard to find.
No plans to be in any band other than playing at church.
But I do enjoy both, and playing bass I get to do it more often.
Still surprises some people when I play guitar though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgiven-Sinner View Post
Oh Yeah - On the Fretless Bass idea, Go for it. I've owned both Fretted & Fretless Basses over the years. I really like the feel of the Fretless & it sounds pretty Cool when sliding between the notes.
We'll see, there are other things I need to spend money on first.
I'm interested though.
Unread 09-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiko View Post
I would say you are a musician who is serving his church by playing bass. A natural bass player would have a different attitude and play a keyboard bass if he had an accident and was left with one hand. I guess I turned into a bass player from being a sax man who dabbled with the guitar
This I met this guy down at another church who due to a deformity had to wrap a drumstick to his arm with an ace bandage. Meanwhile at my church we have people who don't apply themselves. I would rather play with somebody thumping on a water bottle, who had a heart for God than a guy with a pro rig I had to beg to come to play. I am a better bassist than guitarist, but due to the fact we have a guy who is there every time they turn on the lights I moved to rythm electric. Before long our lead guitarist met his wife, and followed her to Cali so now I'm the lead guitarist. Last year even simple songs like the time has come gave me fits. Now I'm growing more comfortable as a guitarist. Do whatever you can to serve if they needed a keyboardist I would start learning.
jwbrownlula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbrownlula View Post
This I met this guy down at another church who due to a deformity had to wrap a drumstick to his arm with an ace bandage. Meanwhile at my church we have people who don't apply themselves. I would rather play with somebody thumping on a water bottle, who had a heart for God than a guy with a pro rig I had to beg to come to play. I am a better bassist than guitarist, but due to the fact we have a guy who is there every time they turn on the lights I moved to rythm electric. Before long our lead guitarist met his wife, and followed her to Cali so now I'm the lead guitarist. Last year even simple songs like the time has come gave me fits. Now I'm growing more comfortable as a guitarist. Do whatever you can to serve if they needed a keyboardist I would start learning.
Cool stuff.
When you have a passion for something, you find a way.