18 Ohio State 0-0 474
19 Oklahoma State 0-0 430
20 TCU 0-0 397
21 Stanford 0-0 383
22 Kansas State 0-0 300
23 Florida 0-0 214
24 Boise State 0-0 212
25 Louisville 0-0 105

Others receiving votes: Notre Dame 83, Washington 55, Auburn 53, North Carolina 32, Utah 30, Georgia Tech 25, Brigham Young 22, Tennessee 15, South Florida 11, Baylor 9, Texas A&M 5, UCF 4, Missouri 3, North Carolina State 3, Cincinnati 3, Houston 1, Louisiana Tech 1, Mississippi State 1, Northern Illinois 1

The Coaches poll is pretty much almost exactly the same, with the exception of Ohio State not being on the list, because of bowl ineligibility.

Here are some questions to ponder:
1. What is the point of the ESPN power rankings?
2. What do you think of the NCAA going to a 4 team playoff in the 2014 season, but still keeping the other bowls around?
3. With more and more school's football programs being investigated by the NCAA (Mississippi State is the latest one), what do suggest should be done by the NCAA/Schools to make sure they are in compliance?
4. What is the ugliest/most awesome college football mascots in the country?
5. Why do you root for the college that you do?

1. Apparently it has something to do with gambling and how wide the disparity is of team's ability to score points and cover the spread. If I understood the article I read online about it. Most of my friends who rank teams, do it because they are giant homers, so to me, it seems a really dumb way to rank college football teams.
2. I approve of it. I wish it took the top 8 or 10, but then they'd have to start the playoffs earlier, which isn't really doable. But anything has to be better than the BCS system.
3. I think the NCAA should realize that college football is as lucrative as the NFL and any other major organized sport league and do away with the ridiculous rules set in place, and pay the players something. It's counterintuitive to me expect colleges/the ncaa to make billions off these college aged kids, then punish them when they'd like to make something for their efforts.
4. Uglies- that really ugly tree from Stanford, and I like the Trojan guy from USC or the duck from Oregon. (I also really, really like Brutus the Buckeye from Ohio State, but he's not so attractive and I don't want to be a homer).
5. I root for Ohio State, because Ohio State was the school my dad and his family rooted for. Every Saturday afternoon growing up if my dad was in the house the game was on the radio, if he was in the tractor and we rode with him for a few hours, the game was on. I fell asleep many Saturday afternoons on his combine taking fields of corn/beans off while listening to Ohio State. The very first game I remember seeing on TV was the fall of 1995 when Eddie George scored a billion times/points on Illinois and won himself the Heisman. The game that REALLY turned me into a hardcore Buckeye: The 1997 Rosebowl game between Ohio State and Arizona State. Jake the Snake Plummer led the Sundevils and like a pesky snake, he just wouldn't go away. Every time Ohio State would score, he had an answer. The Sundevils went in heavy favorites, and with 20 seconds left to go, Ohio State was down, they faced a 3rd and long situation and Joe Germaine threw a 20 yard pass to David Boston for the touchdown, putting them up 20-17 and pinning ASU deep and ASU couldn't respond. (I personally find the Ohio State vs Miami (FL) National Championship game, the best and most exciting college football game of all time, but the 97 Rosebowl will always be my personal favorite). That was one of the most exciting football games I had ever seen and turned me into a college/high school football fan and that is why I root for Ohio State and always will.

Gwenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
I don't like applesauce

Send a message via AIM to Gwenny
So, Alabama put a beatdown on Michigan, who was ranked 8th, and so they jump ahead of USC who was ranked 1 in the pre-season. Others have moved positiions, but pretty similar to pre-season rankings.

I thought Alabama, USC, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and of course Ohio State all looked really good in their openers. Those are the main games I watched on Saturday afternoon/evening. Overall, I think this will be a really interesting year, but Alabama looks sooo good. I'm picking them as my early favorite to win it all again.

1 Alabama (45) 1-0 1481
2 USC (11) 1-0 1435
3 LSU (4) 1-0 1382
4 Oregon 1-0 1295
5 Oklahoma 1-0 1170
6 Florida State 1-0 1135
7 Georgia 1-0 1083
8 Arkansas 1-0 992
9 South Carolina 1-0 980
9 West Virginia 1-0 980
11 Michigan State 1-0 915
12 Clemson 1-0 788
13 Wisconsin 1-0 664
14 Ohio State 1-0 634
15 Virginia Tech 1-0 604
16 Nebraska 1-0 603
17 Texas 1-0 584
18 Oklahoma State 1-0 558
19 Michigan 0-1 446
20 TCU 0-0 355
21 Kansas State 1-0 339
22 Notre Dame 1-0 198
23 Louisville 1-0 190
24 Florida 1-0 145
25 Stanford 1-0 131

Dropped from rankings: Boise State 24

Others receiving votes: Boise State 79, Tennessee 73, Brigham Young 63, North Carolina 48, Baylor 38, Utah 34, Washington 15, Georgia Tech 14, Ohio 10, TEXSTATE 10, Missouri 7, Texas A&M 5, South Florida 5, UCF 4, Mississippi State 3, Auburn 3, Cincinnati 2
Unread 09-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
I don't like applesauce

Tulane safety Devon Walker hospitalized after suffering fractured spine, broken neck, collapsed lung in hit - ESPN

This is just heartbreaking. Please keep him and his family in your prayers.
Unread 09-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
Ax
Rabid Wombat

If Aaron Murray keeps sucking this hard I'm going to have a heart attack.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
I don't like applesauce

UPSET ALERT!!!!

Wisconsin was upset by Oregon State, Nebraska was upset by UCLA, and Arkansas got beat by Louisiana-Monroe.

So there are three more teams likely to drop significantly or even out of the AP Top 25 this week.
Unread 09-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
Grit 'n Grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ax View Post
If Aaron Murray keeps sucking this hard I'm going to have a heart attack.
What's his problem? I only saw the highlights, and it seems he can really throw in a tight spot. So, what happens the rest of the time?

Mississippi State beat Auburn. That's a big deal in my house. Hopefully, it was a case of MSU being good moreso than Auburn being bad, but I'm worried that may not be the case.
Unread 09-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
transubstantiate life

OREGON STATE, FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

I was at a watch party in Denver with other OSU alums, and it was awesome. Wish I'd been at Reser.

The best part is like half of my coworkers are from Wisconsin. Gloating will happen tomorrow.

The funny thing was I actually had tickets to the Colorado/Sacramento State game but decided not to go since the OSU game was actually on TV. Probably a wise decision. Overall I'd call yesterday a net positive for the Pac12 though. Sure, WSU barely beat a team they should have crushed. UW got destroyed by LSU. Utah and Colorado lost to D2 schools. But OSU, Arizona, and UCLA dramatically upsetting ranked teams...that's solid.

Check out my Blog!
SccHarpGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandrew View Post
What's his problem? I only saw the highlights, and it seems he can really throw in a tight spot. So, what happens the rest of the time?

Mississippi State beat Auburn. That's a big deal in my house. Hopefully, it was a case of MSU being good moreso than Auburn being bad, but I'm worried that may not be the case.
He spent the first 3-1/2 quarters sucking, a lot. He couldn't hardly make a completion, kept throwing into double coverage. Looked lost in the pocket. It wasn't until the 4th quarter when he started looking like he was supposed to and really, the only good passes he had were in the endzone. He couldn't get close to the goal by himself, he had to have the defense do it for him and get turnovers close to the end to cross midfield. He had one decent drive, that's it. Of course, I can't blame all the woes on him, whenever he did put a catchable ball in the arms of a receiver it was dropped half the time. It was pretty pathetic.

First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.

Public Blog

Unread 09-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
Administrator
Administrator

paid
i think oregon looks really good...granted they are playing nobodys, but its still something to score 50 points in less than 2 quarters.

i like texas and all, but i think they are ranked too high. their d does not look as dominant as it should, and the qb situation is horrible.
Unread 09-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
Unregistered Visitor

Send a message via AIM to bowstaff981 Send a message via Yahoo to bowstaff981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauler View Post
i like texas and all, but i think they are ranked too high. their d does not look as dominant as it should, and the qb situation is horrible.
Honestly I agree. I wish we were that good, but we're not. The schedule for the next five weeks is Ole Miss, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Oklahoma, Baylor. Those games will either put Texas in a more reasonably ranked spot or prove that they do deserve their ranking.
bowstaff981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #11
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowstaff981 View Post
Honestly I agree. I wish we were that good, but we're not. The schedule for the next five weeks is Ole Miss, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Oklahoma, Baylor. Those games will either put Texas in a more reasonably ranked spot or prove that they do deserve their ranking.
Ole Miss hardly counts as a high school team. I don't know about the rest, but if Texas doesn't stomp them, then they don't deserve to be top 15. At their current 17, that's probably accurate.

Current Rig:

Public Blog

Unread 09-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #12
Unregistered Visitor

Send a message via AIM to bowstaff981 Send a message via Yahoo to bowstaff981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ax View Post
Ole Miss hardly counts as a high school team. I don't know about the rest, but if Texas doesn't stomp them, then they don't deserve to be top 15. At their current 17, that's probably accurate.
While Ole Miss definitely sucks they certainly have a better reputation than Texas' first two opponents. Oklahoma is currently ranked 5th, Oklahoma State just dropped from the rankings but was very good last season, West Virginia is ranked 9th, and Baylor is unranked but has been improving in the past couple years and beaten Texas the last two times (I think) that they've met.
bowstaff981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #13
I don't like applesauce

Tim Brando is a freaking moron. He tried to take on Urban Meyer and the entire fanbase (which is the largest in the nation by the way), and failed miserably, when he made up outright lies about Urban Meyer.

Twitter Wars: Tim Brando vs Buckeye Nation

Then this afternoon he tries to "praise" Urban Meyer for the OSU victory over Cal, but still manages to throw more jabs.

So sorry that Meyer left the SEC to coach in the B1G and now you hate him, Brando, but seriously, please don't make crap up and then act like a pissy baby, because you got spanked in a twitter war with, what is now the largest fan base in college football.

Oh, I'm glad Ohio State won, but Tim Brando is a moron and needs to stop talking crap, when he can't back it up.
Unread 09-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #14
Grit 'n Grind

Tim Brando, Verne Lunquidst, Gary Danielsson, most of these guys just annoy me. Brent Musberger is ok, because her normally knows when to shut up. Unfortunately, until we can clone Pat Sumerall, we're stuck with lousy tv guys.
Unread 09-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #15
I don't like applesauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandrew View Post
Tim Brando, Verne Lunquidst, Gary Danielsson, most of these guys just annoy me. Brent Musberger is ok, because her normally knows when to shut up. Unfortunately, until we can clone Pat Sumerall, we're stuck with lousy tv guys.
The only college football guys I can stand are: Brent Musberger, Kirk Herbstreit, and Lou Holtz.

And the only reason I can tolerate Lou Holtz, is because he constantly contradicts and baits Mark May, especially when Mark May says really stupid stuff, which is every freaking time he opens his mouth. Mark May is a disgrace to college football reporting/sports journalism.

I do really like Kirk Herbstreit, because even though he played for and still has affinity for Ohio State, he isn't biased for them and he goes out of his way to admit that OSU has flaws and won't be superb/great/good.

And he was the only guy in the preseason in 07 to say that OSU would be playing for National Championship (which was right, but they lost), and he regularly picks against Ohio State on gameday, especially last season.

Brent Musberger is getting old, so he'll be retiring soon I think.