Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Theory & Technique
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
I just have to have a say

American folk/country/bluegrass vs Irish jig/traditional/pub music

This may seem like it's not in the right spot but I'm very interested in learning more about the techniques involved in making this kind of music.

I have been listening to a lot of bluegrass music lately and the sole reason is because of the band mumford & sons. They are what took me down this road. ( THEY WERE THE GATEWAY DRUG) Between youtube and spotify I've discovered a whole new area of music that I've always shrugged off. I now am avidly learning how to flatpick so I can attack this genre a little better. Between doc Watson, flats and Scruggs, and the Stanley brothers, I’ve got plenty to keep me busy.

As far as my question is. I'm interested in both the history and the techniques that go into approaching these two types of music. To me they sound an awful lot alike so I’m wondering if the Irish stuff is what influenced the creation of bluegrass and American country/folk music.

I mainly play the guitar and as I said I’m learning to flat pick so I can attack this stuff a little better (more so on the bluegrass then the irish stuff)

But I’d be curious on how fiddle players or mandolin players or even banjo players have to change their technique (if at all) when approaching each kind of music.

Basically I’m looking for any good resources to learn more about these kinds of music because I feel like I just fell down the rabbit hole with this stuff. I LOVE THE HARMONY that’s incorporated into this stuff as well.

ANY OTHER LOVERS OF THIS MUSIC???

Also, name any artists you enjoy on this stuff as well so I can give them a listen.

EDIT: mods please feel free to move if you feel this would best serve elsewhere.

1 Thes. 5:16-18 // Rejoice always, pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus to you

Last edited by DropKick74; 08-10-2012 at 01:26 PM. Reason: a note to the mods
DropKick74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
Tired of being attacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropKick74 View Post
To me they sound an awful lot alike so I’m wondering if the Irish stuff is what influenced the creation of bluegrass and American country/folk music.

I mainly play the guitar and as I said I’m learning to flat pick so I can attack this stuff a little better (more so on the bluegrass then the irish stuff)
Short answer is absolutely and unquestionably. Particularly mountain music is often identical tunes. Around the turn of the 20th century Ireland's music was primarily kept alive in the Appalaichains and the Smithsonian documented it. I don't have any links, but my grandmothers people tell that story and I heard reference of it at a cherish the ladies concert.

I love listening to the dubliners and would have to recommend cherish the ladies as well. I love traditional folk from Ireland and the mountains and absolutely despise modern country.

My Life.
BillSPrestonEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
I just have to have a say

I've checked out the dubliners. I really like it. If you could find those links that would be awesome! I have NO love for modern country...
1 Thes. 5:16-18 // Rejoice always, pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus to you

DropKick74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
im baman

I'm a fond lover of old timey, country blues, and old string band stuff but I just can't get into Irish music. I've sat in on a few old timey jams and when they throw in an Irish tune I just can't get in the groove. Don't know why, but something about it throws me off.
Sean.thomson is offline   Reply With Quote