Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #1

What do I need?

I'm sure I'll get some eye-rolls (at least) with this question, so hopefully y'all can go easy on me .

I sing solos in church (haven't in a long time, but feel led to do so again), and I'd like to play the piano along with the song, mainly for "effect." Problem is...I don't read music, and REALLY don't feel like learning just to create a little effect. I DO play the piano..."kinda" I can pick-out just about any chorus/melody after hearing a song once (in about 5mins), and I used to take lessons as a kid, and can play anything (well) if it's "taught" to me. In other words, if someone would "teach" me the piano part of a song, I could play it well, I just can't read music.

Here's what I want to do I want to have the background track playing while I sing (standard), and the background will have some back-up vocals, but I will provide the main vocal part (again...standard). Since the track will--undoubtedly HAVE the piano part already IN the track, I will just sorta "play-along" (again....for "effect"), so unless I'm missing something, I won't have to be PERFECT with it. So my first (but not my main) question is: ***will this work, or will the "track piano" with my "piano playing" (those are some strategically-placed quotation marks) create a weird/bad sound, or can I make it work if I practice enough along with the music, can it--in theory--be ok?

Next (main) question, what kind of sheet music am I looking for? what's the "term?" Is it: Vocal Sheet Music, Choral Sheet Music, Organ/Lead/Chord/what? I'm ignorant, ok? I know you know this by now, but it is what it is

When doing a Piano Accompaniment, am I basically playing the "chord" "left-hand" part of the score? I mean the melody portion of the piano is...the "voice" right? Basically, I want to sing AND play piano along with a standard background track...what do I need?

I will most likely be using a Casting Crowns song (Who Am I).

Sincerely,

Ignoramous

lsaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #2

PS: I'm aware this is a guitar-forum, lol. I just didn't see any piano-forums, and I figured this questions might be able to be answerd by y'all.
Unread 07-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
OG Spinning Chinchilla
Administrator

I don't play a ton of piano, and I can't read sheet music either, but I do know that it'd probably seem pretty weird if you sang with the track but played the piano too. Especially if you were "fake playing" or something. I just personally think it'd be pretty cheesy. My vote is that you just sing the song without the piano.
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #4

I too think it would be cheesy to have taped piano track and play fills/effects while singing. Either commit to actually learning the instrument part, get someone else to play it ( I assume there are people that can actually play piano at your church) or just sing to the taped track (I did this one to same song).
flemdawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #5

lol. I appreciate the comments. But I have no intention of "fake playing." I'll be playing; there'll just be another piano playing at the same time. It's no different that when the chior sings, and there's a chior on the track singing the same thing. And I'll be doing all the singing; just simply playing along with the track-piano. Mainly just wanted to know what kind of sheet music I need (like what it's called). But thank, anyway. God Bless.
Unread 09-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
La la la la la la la la l

Dunno, if you're still thinking about this but I just stumbled upon this thread.

I am now grade 5 (out of 8) in his piano and for the first three grandes I sucked at reading, but then I started to like the piano and can now read pretty well. I think its a pretty vital part of playing and I think you should learn it, besides if God wants you to do it, he'll help you! Although, I think that playing with a backing track won't sound or look at all great. You say you want it for effect? Well, I'm not sure you need it. If God hasn't told you to play it just for effect its a bit pointless I think:/ when we worship, people don't play piano for effect, we play it for God, to worship him.
I hope this makes sense. But I just don't think that effect is nessacary in the house of God. where someone so awesome lives!
Hope you take this the right way. And by no means am I saying you shouldn't do it! God loves us to praise him and if that's your calling, do it!!
jaffakayke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accompaniment, sheet music, vocal sheet music