Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
NBD - Yamaha RBX760A II

Found this on Craigslist today. It'll need some work to get it ready for church, but unplugged it definitely seems like a solid player. I paid $80 for it, so no complaints in the price department.

I'll post pics later tonight (or at least that is the plan).

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
Groove On

Cool, Yamaha's are nice basses... looking forward to seeing the pics
Unread 07-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
Administrator

Here's a couple of pictures. It's actually a translucent green color, but it comes out as more blue in the pictures.

You'll see right away that it's missing a control. The seller said that it worked fine as is, but I know the missing control will bother me so I will be trying to figure out a solution to that. Also, it is missing the battery cover as well as the control cavity cover on the back so I will need to replace those.

Still, I'm guessing the total amount I will put into this will be less than $50 (not counting new strings), which would bring my total to $130 at the most. Not bad at all.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 07-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
Administrator

I found the service manual for this bass online. Unfortunately I think the missing knob is the treble boost/cut and the circuit it would've been attached with it.

I haven't scoured eBay for a direct replacement electronics set yet, but I'm already thinking about other options. Basically I'm looking for a four control active circuit to pair with a 9V battery and two humbuckers. Right now I'm thinking of a 2-vol, 2-tone set up, but I'm definitely open to other ideas.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 07-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
Groove On

Pretty nice...

Be curious to see what you do with it.
Unread 07-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
Administrator

I found a Chinese made active EQ on eBay for $20 or so. I may go with that. The whole active EQ circuit thing is tricky, and from what it looks like, I could replace everything with passive electronics and be fine. Of course then I'd have a battery pack with no battery in it...

I'm a podcaster
Unread 07-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #7
Groove On

Yeah but at least the battery pack would be in the back..

Passive would be easy, but aren't those PU's in the Yamaha's active hum buckers... be nice to see what kind of active setup you could find for it, still nothing beats a nice passive setup.
Unread 07-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan75 View Post
Yeah but at least the battery pack would be in the back..

Passive would be easy, but aren't those PU's in the Yamaha's active hum buckers... be nice to see what kind of active setup you could find for it, still nothing beats a nice passive setup.
I'm not 100% sure. I was reading something earlier that seemed to indicate that most "active" basses actually have passive pickups with active EQ controls. I think that might be the case here.

I did find a cheap Belcat 2-band EQ circuit for bass that I might try out if I can find a US distributor for it.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 09-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #9
Administrator

Two months...finally got around to bidding on the Belcat EQ circuit today. I've been delaying this by buying other things when I really should've been making this a priority. Hopefully I can get this thing "stage ready" before the end of the year, haha.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 10-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
Administrator

Just received the pre-amp this week. I'll be heading to Carvin on the weekend (hopefully) to pick up strings and knobs.

Hopefully over the next couple weeks I can hunt down an installation diagram for this pre-amp and get it put into place. "End of the year" is definitely doable.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 12-01-2012, 12:23 AM   #11
Administrator

Installation time!

I'm a podcaster
Unread 12-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #12
Administrator

So the installation happened...something isn't soldered well as the signal is very weak. It was enough that I could record with it, but I don't think it would hack it for playing live.

On top of it, the preamp is huge and doesn't easily fit in the control cavity, if at all.

I may just go with passive electronics after all...

I'm a podcaster
Unread 08-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #13
Administrator

Sad panda is sad...

I still need to order the pots I need to go passive. I really thought I'd be done with this by now, but it just hasn't happened.

I'm a podcaster
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #14
Administrator

Wow...I've had this bass nearly a year and a half and I haven't played it outside of my house.

That's a little depressing.

BUT

UPDATE TIME!

I got the passive electronics installed. I need to pick up some screws as I will be attempting to fashion my own control cavity covers using Rubbermaid plastic (it's clear, which I'm excited about). I haven't restrung it yet, but I tested the passive electronics through my guitar amp and everything seemed to be working as expected.

SO CLOSE TO BEING DONE!

I'm a podcaster
Unread 12-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #15
Administrator

It's done!

I played it at church this morning. It's a very modern, punchy bass with this natural scooped tone going on. Definitely a departure from my Jazz bass tone, but still workable. The big plus is that it's so much lighter than my Jazz Bass
Attached Thumbnails
complete-1.jpg   complete-2.jpg  

I'm a podcaster

« NBD or NFBD | NBD »