Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-15-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
Groove On

Pedal much

Other than a compressor and tuner what pedals do you find really fit with today's modern P&W (Since that's mostly what I play)?

For most of the stuff I play just been using mostly my Lakland, and handling the tones that way...

Unread 07-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
Groove On

Well, guess no one is using any of the updated pedals? Last ones discussed were over a year ago...

So... What kind of Compressor is every one using?
Unread 07-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
I usually keep by bass clean, but will use my RAT 2 with a volume pedal and a delay or two for some massive swells.

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
My name is really Zebulon

Send a message via AIM to Bassman1185 Send a message via Yahoo to Bassman1185
My effects rig consists of a Line6 M13 with an expression pedal, a Tech21 Bass VT, and an MXR M-80. I pretty much always have the tube compressor and the volume pedal settings going on the M13, but I also throw in sub octave pretty frequently, as well as delay, reverb and chorus. I use the Bass VT for my fretted electric, and the M-80 with my fretless and ABG.

Fretless + sub octave + volume pedal + long, slow delay + octo-verb = the world's most massive sounding string/pad tones.
Unread 07-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
Groove On

How do you like the M13.
I was slightly dis-disillusioned with Line 6 by the lack of support with my Baas POD XT-Live when I got a new MAC. It had Snow-Leopard and it was a long time before Line 6 supported the drivers in it and their response was that we shouldn't be adopting the 'cutting edge' technology, (or something along those lines) so I sold the Pod and haven't looked at Line 6 since! LOL

The clips I've heard on the M-80 seems like the distortion is the biggest draw. 95% of what we play is more 'clean' so I was apprehensive on the M-80.

Do you use the M13 as the sub-octave, reverb, and chorus? I'm liking the idea of the string/pad tones... that seems to be something that I could use!
Unread 07-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #6

I love the M13. I don't do anything via MIDI, so I can't comment on the computer integration, but the sounds are fantastic, especially the sub-octave and delays. Also, the ability to sync all of your time-based effects with one tap-tempo button is amazing. As I said, the effects I primarily use with it are compression, sub-octave, delay, chorus volume pedal and some reverbs. It kills at all of those functions.

I don't use the distortion on the M-80 (like I said, I only use it on my fretless and acoustic) but there are actually some decent distortion sounds in there. The DI is excellent, and the EQ has easily the best midrange control I have ever come across. I don't think they could have found a better mid frequency. I use the VT for a little bit of grit with my six-string fretted.
Unread 07-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
Groove On

Sounds like the M-80 might be better than I'd originally assumed.
Unread 07-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #8

Yeah, it's a great piece of gear. I had one when I was in high school, sold it (for a freaking Behringer Bass V-Amp of all things) and regretted it, so I bought another one a year or two ago.