Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #1

Exclamation Getting tired of Bass

I've been playing bass for a few years for my praise team and I'm just getting bored of it. I don't feel the excitement i usually felt when I found a challenging song because I can't find any more challenging christian song that I can play at church. Can anyone give me some advice on what I should do or maybe a really hard song I can learn?

gunny12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-03-2012, 11:54 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to thesteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny12123
I've been playing bass for a few years for my praise team and I'm just getting bored of it. I don't feel the excitement i usually felt when I found a challenging song because I can't find any more challenging christian song that I can play at church. Can anyone give me some advice on what I should do or maybe a really hard song I can learn?
Challenge yourself by making your own parts?

I'm a podcaster
thesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny12123 View Post
Contemporary music gets predictable very quick. Start listening to Jazz or gospel and you'll never feel like this again.

Here's a song to check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSuS9q0QEm0q
"With God all things are possible"-Matthew 19:26
waveofthinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #4

As the bass player down in the low frequencies you really have a lot of control over the feel of the song. If instead of playing straight eight roots you play a 1-5 bounce the song will sound countr-ish. If you do a riddum it will have a reggae like sound. Now you may upset the rest of the team especially if they are in the play it like the record mode. But if they let you explore, then explore and lead your church into doing something new
taiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Ax
Rabid Wombat

Add some funk to it. There's nothing challenging about most P&W, true, but you can add your own artistic flair and that will make it a lot more fun.

AXimus AXamillion AXington
First of his name, moderator of the guitars and other instruments forums, changer of journal titles, haver of long titular epithets.

Current Rig:
Guitars: The NightShade, Fender Big Block Toronado, Fender Marauder, Fender Strat, Rogue ST-4
Pedals: Dunlop Crybaby -> SBN Soviet Power Booster -> SBN Modded Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer -> SBN Discombobulamodulator -> Modded EHX Nano Small Clone -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner.
Amps: EVH 5150 III 50 Watt, Vox Night Train 15 Watt
Cabs: Late 80s Peavey 412-MS Sheffield 1290.

Public Blog

Ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
Geezer
Administrator

paid
I have only been playing bass on the praise team for a couple of years so I just am now beginning to figure out what I'm doing?

We play with sheet music so I've started playing some of the vocal lines at the end of the measure...just to see what happens. Sometimes it sounds cool...sometimes I get nasty looks.

Unread 07-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Role Modlin View Post
sometimes I get nasty looks.
Dang!
"With God all things are possible"-Matthew 19:26
waveofthinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #8

Have you looked into any of Lincoln Brewsters stuff? Norm Stockton (Lincolns bassist) is a monster bassist.
bassfreak423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 07:19 AM   #9
My name is really Zebulon

Send a message via AIM to Bassman1185 Send a message via Yahoo to Bassman1185
Add an X-factor into you playing. Try learning to play with another string (or one fewer strings) or add effects, different strings, etc. Sometimes just changing stuff up helps you rethink how you play. For me, moving from a five-string back down to a four string really inspired me to be more intentional in how I approach building bass lines, and going from the four-string to a six-string did the same thing.
Unread 07-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
On-Line Guitar Instructor

Most Bassists (past or present) can tell you, the Bassist usually gets over-looked. However - if they aren't there 1 week, everybody is Grateful when they're back. Things just sound horribly weak without the Bassist.

There have been a lot of Great Posts on this already. If your getting Bored with the Bass, learn a New Technique or two. There's TONS of Techniques that could help you to add a new Flare to your Playing. As you start adding Techniques while playing at Church, start small. Many Church goers have a hard time with Dramatic Changes. Also, this will allow you start adding things while you are still in your Learning Stages.

You can do this - just be Patient!

From the Pew to the Praise Team in 90 Days --- *Let me help you*

Free Christian Guitar Lessons - Step-By-Step Guitar Lessons

-Check out my website- Free Christian Guitar Lessons - It'll get you Movin' Quickly!

---Check out my 50 Youtube Channel Guitar Lesson Videos.
Forgiven-Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 05:50 PM   #11

I know this probably a dumb thing to say, but before I started playing bass, I sang. Now after beginning the process of learning bass (11 years and still learning), I want to be able to help the worship team by playing and singing. We don't have any dirty look people, and can play just about any style or song that we like and we play anything from hymnal (with a heavy country beat), to Lincoln Brewster, to Newsboys, but to harmonize and still keep the floor under the song would make me feel so much better! The more you're doing to lead people into the realm of worship, the less time I find I have to realize that almost every song has many of the same patterns to them, just different keys!
The idea for playing it using different strings is great idea too! Thanks!!
instegator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #12

My suggestion....REMEMBER WHO you are playing for. It ain't the congregation or band...IT IS JESUS!!! Been playing fror 30 years.
kbaxter26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bass, bored