Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #1

Not much confidence

Hey guys. I'm new to this forum.. Im a guitarist and singer, and I lead my band (not in church). Yet, I still find myself pretty insecure about my voice. I feel like a big problem I face is that I'm pretty shaky while singing.. I've done a few recordings a few months back (and I've improved since then), and it's on my soundcloud profile. Do give it a listen and give me feedback.. Http://www.soundcloud.com/johnjohnjohnnnn/

johnjohnjohnnnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
Wombatty

Yeah, the voice is a little shaky, but I have some good news:

1) everybody's voice is distorted when it is recorded.

2) confidence depends on self-perception. I have heard people who are totally confident about their singing ability and and they don't sound good at all. I have to give you credit for making an effort to sound good.

3) the voice is a little shaky, but it's nothing that some singing lessons and practice can't fix.

Another small bit of good news is eventhough you are the leader of the band, it doesn't mean that you are obligated to sing. I am a great guitarist, but my singing is off. I wish I could sing better, but it's not that important to me as of right now. Keep playing man.

Check out http://www.christianguitar.org/forum..."Red">l</font>[/size]
Vanguard17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, man. I'm still trying haha.
Unread 06-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
1) You sound fine, with some practice, you can get somewhere good.

2) Breathe deeper. Learn to take deeper breaths, and really support your voice with your air. The reason our voices usually get shaky is because we run out of air. More air shall help.

3) Posture, very important. This goes back to air.

4) Practice makes permanent. Listen to yourself when you can to see if you're making improvement.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #5

Thanks, man.

Although.. When I sing, I feel that I sound pretty "breathy." it's also another bad habit im trying to get rid of haha.
Unread 07-18-2012, 06:21 AM   #6

I did give it a quick listen but I don't really want to comment. I'd prefer to address the fact that you posted on here looking for folks to help you believe that you have enough talent to continue to be the lead singer. I did the same thing a while back. It didn't work out very well for me. I know that people here are trying to be helpful, but (if you are at all like me in the confidence department) comments like the one above that say -- good news, you don't really HAVE to be the lead singer (paraphrased) -- do much more harm than good. If, like me, you are getting a positive response from those that are listening to you in a live setting then believe that you are doing something right. Identifying, on your own or with the help of a vocal coach, areas to work on and improve is a good thing and does not mean that you aren't good now. I almost quit singing at one point. The comments on this forum contributed to that. Some good people at church talked me back from the edge and made me see that, while not perfect, the gift I was given was meant to be shared. Now, I may be projecting my own reactions/feeling/predispositions on you and if so, I apologize. However, I will say that I came to the internet in search of unbiased opinions...in search of Truth. But, it turns out that the internet is not always a great place to get advice on things.

--Aik

- Winston Churchill
Aiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
I'm on a horse.

Send a message via AIM to Rainer.
Hey, Aiken. I re-read the thread you posted to get advice in, and you were incredibly hard on yourself, where most of the others believed in you as a singer. It was almost hard to read in that your doubt of your own abilities was so profound that any advice anyone gave you about improving your vocal became almost a reason to quit. I listened to your recordings, you didn't have a bad voice.

Neither does John. But there are also areas of improvement he can engage in as well. With some vocal coaching, he can be the lead singer, too. Not sure what the above poster was considering when he made the comment about not singing lead.

Rainer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer. View Post
Hey, Aiken. I re-read the thread you posted to get advice in, and you were incredibly hard on yourself, where most of the others believed in you as a singer. It was almost hard to read in that your doubt of your own abilities was so profound that any advice anyone gave you about improving your vocal became almost a reason to quit. I listened to your recordings, you didn't have a bad voice.

Neither does John. But there are also areas of improvement he can engage in as well. With some vocal coaching, he can be the lead singer, too. Not sure what the above poster was considering when he made the comment about not singing lead.
I was in a bad place. Still am in many ways. I don't want to make this about me. I'm working through my issues (and finding new ones all the time ). I have received a lot of encouragement from other members of the church once they figured out what was going on. Unfortunately not from the leadership, but that's a whole 'nother can o worms.

In any case, I just wanted to warn the OP that taking the advice here to heart can actually hurt sometimes if you are in a fragile place because people throw things out there with no REAL knowledge of where the other person is coming from or where they are at mentally. I'm not saying that you can never get good advice on this site. You can, and I have. I'm just saying to be careful.

--Aik

- Winston Churchill
Aiken is offline   Reply With Quote