Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Vocals & Other Instruments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
Okagesama de genki desu

Shopping for cymmbals

I'm shopping for a set of cymbals for a set for church. Budget is around $1500 or so. Typical worship-y stuff. I'm looking for crashes that are big, dark and washy enough without being too loud, and a fairly dry ride that isn't pingy. I kinda have a thing for old school jazz style cymbals. Looking for high hats, ride and two crashes.

Right now these are the three sets I'm contemplating

1:
Meinl
20" Byzance Vintage Sand Ride
13" Byzance Jazz high hats
18" Byzance Jazz thin crash
20" Byzance Jazz extra thin ride

2:
Zildjian
20" K Constantinople medium ride
13" K Custom Dark high hats
17" K Custom Dark crash
19" K Dark Thin crash

3:
Istanbul
20.5" Mel Lewis 1982 ride
13" Mel Lewis 1982 high hats
18" Mel Lewis 1982 crash ride
19" Mel Lewis crash ride

(alright, so I love Mel Lewis )

What have you guys found work well as far as a balance between dark cymbals that blend into the music rather than cutting, but still keep things tame enough for a lower volume setting at church?

Unread 06-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
Arnold Palmers FTW

Send a message via AIM to jamforchrist123 Send a message via Skype™ to jamforchrist123
I LOVE the sand ride.

I'm a Meinl fanatic, so I would personally suggest that Meinl set. That's a solid lineup that you have there. It would work great for what you need.

Those K's would as well.

Honestly, all of those will work for what you want. For low volume, I wouldn't use a ride solely as a crash (as I assume you would with the 20" jazz thin ride in the Meinl set) but in a loud setting you'd be good.
jamforchrist123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
Okagesama de genki desu

I'm actually leaning towards the Meinl's. I'm a little nervous about them though just because I don't know them as well. The K's are the safe choice for me because I know them so well, but I'm tempted to branch out.

The only thing I wish Meinl offered was some 19" and 20" crashes. I'm not crazy about the 20" Byzance Vintage crash, it's too trashy for me - almost like a crash/china mix. The jazz extra thin ride is so light it's the same weight as most of the 20" crashes, so I'm tempted to use it as a crash, but I do want to keep my volume low and controllable.

My thing about crashes is that I want 2" difference between the two. 18" are my favorite crash, but I don't want to go with a 16" because it's too punchy and bright for the music we're playing. I want crashes that are dark, bloom when hit, and blend with the music rather than cutting. So that leaves me with either using a 20" crash, or splitting the difference and going with 17" and 19". But Meinl only offers 2 20" crashes and no 19" so there are limited options there.
Unread 06-23-2012, 11:05 PM   #4
Arnold Palmers FTW

Send a message via AIM to jamforchrist123 Send a message via Skype™ to jamforchrist123
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis4 View Post
I'm actually leaning towards the Meinl's. I'm a little nervous about them though just because I don't know them as well. The K's are the safe choice for me because I know them so well, but I'm tempted to branch out.

The only thing I wish Meinl offered was some 19" and 20" crashes. I'm not crazy about the 20" Byzance Vintage crash, it's too trashy for me - almost like a crash/china mix. The jazz extra thin ride is so light it's the same weight as most of the 20" crashes, so I'm tempted to use it as a crash, but I do want to keep my volume low and controllable.

My thing about crashes is that I want 2" difference between the two. 18" are my favorite crash, but I don't want to go with a 16" because it's too punchy and bright for the music we're playing. I want crashes that are dark, bloom when hit, and blend with the music rather than cutting. So that leaves me with either using a 20" crash, or splitting the difference and going with 17" and 19". But Meinl only offers 2 20" crashes and no 19" so there are limited options there.
Being a mega Meinl fanboy myself, I can't recommend them enough and let you know that you can feel safe with them. Their 2 year warranty (even if you don't buy them from a retailer.. I got mine used!) is AWESOME. They'll basically replace anything. They're awesome guys.

I don't know if you've checked out the site, but they are actually known a lot for their big crashes. I personally have a 20" Byzance medium crash that is awesome. Check out the Byzance Traditional Extra Thin Hammered Crash. They have them in both 18" and 20" and I think they'd work really well for your situation. The mediums would work quite well too.
Unread 07-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
Okagesama de genki desu

Alright you convinced me

As of now I have the following on it's way to me:

14" Vintage Sand Hi Hats
20" Vintage Sand Ride
22" Vintage Sand Crash Ride
18" Vintage Sand thin Crash
18" Vintage Sand medium Crash

I just saw all the new additions to the Vintage Sand line and I'm sold!
Unread 07-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
Arnold Palmers FTW

AH I just saw that stuff come out and am GAS-ing hard for it. I'm a jealous guy.