Go Back   Christian Guitar Forum > Musicians > Bass
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #1

Feedback wanted on Medium Scale 5 string basses!

Dear All,

I received quite a bit of interest/requests from members of the Talkbass forum about the potential for having a 32" scale 5 string made, specifically in the Rockbass line. Warwick currently offers the Rockbass Corvette 4 string in 30" and 32" scale - and the response has been great. I took the requests from Talkbass members to the Warwick design team, and 2 weeks later received word they had done some research and testing, and it would indeed be possible.

So - Let's hear it from members here: What is your level of interest in an affordable 5 string 32" medium scale (or even 30" short scale) bass? And, what model(s) would you like to see it developed on? Corvette, Streamer, Fortress? Everyone interested, please post here - and maybe we can make this bass a reality!

For anyone interested, the Talkbass thread is here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/off...8/index25.html Near the end of the thread.

Thanks!

Unread 06-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
My name is really Zebulon

Send a message via AIM to Bassman1185 Send a message via Yahoo to Bassman1185
Take my criticism with a grain of salt, because I don't play five string basses, but I think that Warwick would be far better served in their five-string line by getting a reasonable comfortable neck profile worked out rather than experimenting with shorter scale lengths. I owned a German Streamer Standard five-string from the late 90's and have played several different Warwick fivers, and ALL of them had horrendously uncomfortable neck profiles. I have yet to hear a single player say in person or online that they actually LIKE the narrow/thick neck profile on the standard five-string neck. I've heard good things about the extra-wide necks, but those only seem to be available on the higher-end Streamers and Thumbs, which are out of the reach of most players.

On top of that, I would personally never consider a five (or six, which is what I play almost exclusively) string bass with a scale any shorter than 34". The loss of low end tightness is just not worth it for a more comfortable reach between notes, and the tonal difference between 32" and 34" is almost negligible, especially in a band mix.

Again, this is only my $.02, but I think I speak for a large portion of the bass-playing community from what I have seen. Of course, I also represent a portion of the bass-playing community that has no interest in buying a five-string bass any time in the near future, so feel free to disregard this comment.
Unread 06-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #3

Thanks for your feedback Bassman1185! In fact, we now offer 3 neck profiles on our 4 and 5 string basses, and a 4th broadneck option on 6 string basses. Many things have changed at Warwick Germany in the last 4 years, and we are making basses that are higher quality than ever. We've completely overhauled the process with an unrelenting focus on quality and consistency...although we feel we've always made great instruments, the ones coming out of the factory today are way beyond anything we've done prior. We have implemented such things as our Invisible Fret Technology machine, and UV-cured lacquer finishes...both unique in the industry. We have also become FSC-certified (Forest Stewardship Council), and are leading the way in producing instruments in a green-environment.

Our Rockbass line was also completely redesigned, and now feature the same pickups and hardware as found on the German-made basses, along with 2-piece bodies made from quality tonewoods, and 3-piece maple laminated necks with ekanga stringers. Quality Control on Rockbasses has been vastly improved, and we are very proud of the new line.

The reason I posed this question is because many people were specifically asking about medium scale 5'ers following the success of the 30" and 32" scale Rockbass Corvette 4's. The design team at Warwick Germany did some testing and found it would be feasible to make a quality medium-scale bass with a tight B. We are interested in listening to what our customers want...and this option was just that.

I'm happy to take all comments and feedback...yours included! We've had a wonderful response to our latest offerings...and everyone is entitled to their opinion, taste, etc. We're quite fortunate to have so many choices available these day. Thanks again!
Unread 06-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #4

I'm a J Bass guy and love the good 34" scale fivers like Alleva or Sadowsky, so its not my thing.

I think the biggest challenge would be producing a low B with the right tension and a good tone throughout its range with the shorter scale. Ironically I've also noticed a lot of fivers put so much emphasis con getting the B string right that they have weak E or G strings. It's interesting that 5 string sales seemed to really take off when more companies went to a 35" inch scale. And its hard to get a consistent sounding fiver with a 34" scale I haven't played a Fender yet that nailed it.

But where I do see a market is entry level players and kids or girls with a smaller frame. If you could get reasonable quality it might make since in the lower price points. But I can't imagine a serious player wanting to go less than 34" on a fiver.
Burk48237 is offline   Reply With Quote